PDA

View Full Version : Cracking clocks

Bigxr
24-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Bugger! I noticed what i thought was a scratch in my rev counter only to discover a poxy crack.
Its since got a bit worse.
i think its one of them "lots of them do that" things, but what a sod.
Will this eventually lead to new clocks? and will the new ones do it too?

Capo
25-04-2010, 04:38 AM
It is not possible to replace the 'glass', your best bet is to find a used set of clocks and strip them for the front face, or I'm afraid its new ones.

Paranoid Dave
25-04-2010, 09:46 AM
I was lucky, I found a second hand set with no cracks that showed very similar miles to the broken set. I had no proof that the broken set on the bike were correct anyway and there was some suspicion as to the age and miles so a straight swap and all's good.

They do turn up quite often so happy shopping

sburrows87
25-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I have the same problem :(

buzzbomb
25-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Whilst cleaning the bike yesterday I to noticed what I thought was a scratch but on closer inspection it turned out to be a crack, phoned the dealer and new clocks will be ordered tomorrow. I have no idea how its happened so it seems that it could be a common problem, any one else got thoughts on the reason for this?

Bigxr
25-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Whilst cleaning the bike yesterday I to noticed what I thought was a scratch but on closer inspection it turned out to be a crack, phoned the dealer and new clocks will be ordered tomorrow. I have no idea how its happened so it seems that it could be a common problem, any one else got thoughts on the reason for this?

Going through a dealer? gawd! you sellin a kidney?
I recon it should be a warranty thing, as it seems to happen a lot. More chance of screaming lord such getting in to No. 10 on the 6th tho. :rolleyes:

buzzbomb
25-04-2010, 08:45 PM
It is a warranty claim so no worries...:chuckle:

Capo
25-04-2010, 09:01 PM
was that the hyper or S4r Geoff

buzzbomb
25-04-2010, 09:14 PM
S4Rs, I'd been to ducatimanchester to have to fueling sorted after fitting the new can and went for a little blat, next day washed the bike and started to polish when I spotted the crack (bugger) they're ordering tomorrow but I don't think it will be fixed for next weekend.

Capo
25-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Geoff, see if you can get me the old clocks, I want to inverstigate the flasher circuit with a view to modifying it to work with LEDS without the use of resistors, for obvious reasons I don't want to experiment with the set on the bike.

He11cat
25-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Mine have a crack in the clear plastic as well .. getting worse and worse..
I was hoping you could just change the lens but been told you have to buy the complete unit.

littlejimmy12
04-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Mine have a crack in the clear plastic as well .. getting worse and worse..
I was hoping you could just change the lens but been told you have to buy the complete unit.

When I had my s2r fixed after a prang my cracked lense was changed by Daytona in Raislip and I am pretty sure they didn't switch out the clocks, it certainly wasn't listed in the insurance claim!