PDA

View Full Version : The all new Ducati suicide stand

rebel87
24-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Moved my monster today, put it back on its side stand only to find out that i now have a suicide stand. My sidestand decided it no longer wanted to be a apart of my bike and snapped off on the crankcase.

Has anyone seen this before??
If so can it be wielded or is it a new case

Capo
24-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Thats repairable but you will have strip the engine to make a good job of it. Looks as tho it was loose for a while.

pegboy
24-04-2010, 06:52 PM
i agree and also looks like that it has been heli coiled,

jerry
24-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I check those sidestand bolts every now and then to make sure they are firm and tight .

Jaron
24-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Mine monster was blown over in the wind, two days later as I finished riding and walked away only to hear a very upsetting thud followed by the alarm going off. The bolts had been ripped out. The garage I took it too were able to re-thread the holes and put shims in. £70. That was 6 months ago and all good but definitely take Jerry's advice should you get it fixed. (I'm going to check mine now!)

rebel87
25-04-2010, 07:09 PM
It was in there tight as I noticed it was lose last weekend. It doesn't look like it has been heli coiled, think it's just a mixture of locite and old thread.

Does anyone know it you can split the crankcases??
Also as it's going to be in millions of pieces maybe I should sort my flakey paint out aswell...

rossifumi
26-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi

Just searching through threads and i have the same problem.

Seems someone decided to reverse into my monster last night....noticed marks on mudguard and fork legs which are not to serious but bike was leaning over more than normal and yep the bolt housing has cracked big time where the bolt screws into crankcase.

Is a rethread a option?? Photo below

http://picasaweb.google.com/paulmphotos/MyMonster#5532270584518108130

jerry
26-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Worth checking them regularly as they seem prone to vibrating slightly loose, then the weight of the bike on the stand works away at the metal until first the actual bolts bend and if not caught in time the thread and holes break.

Replacing the bolts ,loctite and if neccesary Helicoil all work well.

but first mak them tight,

rossifumi
26-10-2010, 09:25 AM
If i undo the bolt the bolt housing,the thread just falls away in 2 or 3 bits leaving no thread...is that still a helicoil repair?

jimz750
26-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I have had my Monster for about a month now and it has a centre stand fitted aswell as the side stand.

Was going to remove it as it looks a bit un-sightly. Don't think I'll bother now as the side stand seems to have an issue?

Kato
26-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi

Just searching through threads and i have the same problem.

Seems someone decided to reverse into my monster last night....noticed marks on mudguard and fork legs which are not to serious but bike was leaning over more than normal and yep the bolt housing has cracked big time where the bolt screws into crankcase.

Is a rethread a option?? Photo below

http://picasaweb.google.com/paulmphotos/MyMonster#5532270584518108130

That needs welding up, and then a re-thread

rossifumi
26-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Cheers chaps

Have given Rosso Course a ring and they are gonna sort it and a its good excuse for them to service it too which i have never done in the 2 years i've owned it.

utopia
26-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Is there enough space to get something like a small jubilee clip around the boss to strengthen it ? Or a few turns of lock-wire pulled really tight, or a thin metal ring bonded in place with araldite or chemical metal stuff ? Probably insufficient for a repair on its own but might help to avoid the same thing happening again.
On second thoughts, if the thin metal ring was shaped more like a shallow bucket with a hole in the base to take the sidestand bolt then it would hold itself in place. Still probably dodgy as a repair on its own though.

Dookbob
26-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Dodgey, to say the least.

rossifumi
26-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Jubliee clip good idea but yeah it is a bit risky...will pay and get a good helicoil job done and park it safe in the knowledge it ain't gonna go south...at least until someone reverses into it again!

boris
27-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Yippee - something new to get paranoid over..
Gotta say though, if it's in the garage, its on the paddock stand.

Gerry
28-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Cheers for that guys ..... mine was a little loose .. i cleaned it and loctited and torqued it up.