PDA

View Full Version : Good News?

JaKS
20-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Just what the doctor ordered...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8632440.stm

Nickj
20-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Well the satellite based tracking died a death so this is the next best thing.

MrsC_772
20-04-2010, 09:55 PM
With an election coming up, now's an excellent time to lobby candidates about issues such as this, and other threats to motorcycling (and our liberty in general). See Riders Are Voters | MAG, ACU, BMF & MCIA Joint Initiative For Change

If you can't be bothered to write letters and e-mail candidates, at least cough up the £25 a year membership for the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG - Homepage) to fight the good fight on our behalf. £25 is less than the cost of filling up my Monster twice!

Black Bob
21-04-2010, 06:38 AM
I had a thought about these, it may be stupid of course, but how can they prove that the same driver was at the wheel through each of the cameras ?

Let's say you had at least two people in the car, capable of driving it. In theory you could have swapped over at some point between the cameras, and only one of the drivers drove stupidly fast. But which driver?

The camera has only measured average speed between the two, and so the exact time/location at which the vehicle broke the speed limit is not stated on the NIP and cannot be proved. So, in theory, nobody knows who dunnit.

They'd have to nick everyone in the car - surely they cannot do that ?

Like I say, just a thought.

BB.

p.s. I know I've mentioned "drivers", but economies of scale dictate that if they are useless at securing a conviction against the large majority of traffic (cars), then they won't put them in just for bikes.

bigredduke
21-04-2010, 08:18 AM
They will simply continue the practice of prosecuting the registered keeper unless they 'confess' that someone else was driving. Refusal to inform the authorities who was at the wheel now carries a higher penalty (6 points) than the alleged offence. This 'self-incrimination' was challenged in the European Court and, under pressure from the UK government was dismissed.