PDA

View Full Version : Twin front disks for M600

Sue
18-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi, I'm thinking about treating my 2001 M600 to twin front disks. The fork has the fitting already (covered with a plastic cover at present). How much of the braking system will I need to replace to convert and what do you think the cost will be.
I' m also thinking about getting headlamp fairing and seat cowl - anyone have one going spare?

Thanks

scrapps
18-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Sue
I think their are lots better things to spend your money on than converting to twin disc. I have a 750ss with single disc that I use on the road and trackdays and have never found it a problem. If you convert to twin disc you are adding weight to the bike for no need.
Just my view I am sure others will have others. O it's not hard to do if you go down that route and you can find the bits via eBay or on the forum.

analogue_rogue
18-04-2010, 08:54 AM
to do the brakes you cxan do it two ways.. you can either get the extra spliutter and run an extra caliper that way .. or a cheaper way is to get a braided hose kit for twin brakes, that send two lines straight from the reservoir and then just add the caliper and disc.... but to be honest i get on great with my singley... so wouldnt bother adding

Albie
18-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Extra weight. New or paired discs as one may be worn. Extra caliper. extra set of new paired pads. Bigger Brake reservoir and new line or lines. This all adds up to waste of money on the 600. Its pure dressiness only but if thats your desire please do.

Be very careful on the ebay for warped discs that people may sell.

Nickj
18-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I've got one of the twin disc 750s, both the 740's I had did.
The second disc is a bit of overkill really but it does give you some serious stopping power.

And yes it does look nice which is important. You might as well spend on beautification and flash trickery as anything else. You can always swap out the motor later if you want more power

He11cat
18-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I have one bike with twin front disc but its an inline 4 and its sharp and a fast 400.

On the monster I tend to use my engine braking to slow right down (and then she stalled it yesterday! groan oh the shame).
I have the option to twin disc mine as well but I feel the same single is adequate for me.
It can be done but I would be looking at other bling as well.
I thought about it and then after comparing the two bikes decided nah..

But its an option and its your bike you do what you want to do :)

Yorkie
18-04-2010, 02:26 PM
I bought my 1999 M600 Dark brand new (Still got it) and after 2 years i changed the original single set up for a 916 sps set up, master cylinder, lines, calipers and cast iron discs. The braking difference was superb and allowed me the option of an engine upgrage when one came availible (2008 it happened!) without having to source everything at once!

I now have a 750 SS (1992) and i will be twin disc-ing that as well. I am one of the pro-twin disc fans, if you want to do it then do it.

I may have a spare disc knocking around, just depends on the pattern that you have in the center of the disc! (They do differ!)

Yorkie

pegboy
18-04-2010, 09:35 PM
my two pence worth, i looked into the same for my M600 but if your not upgrading the engine like Yorkie did, then i don't think it is necessary.

Sue
21-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies - as you don't think that the 600 will benefit I will save my money and use towards something else. (Anyone selling an S4R with lowered suspension? lol)