PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak on vertical cyclinder

rebel87
17-04-2010, 10:20 AM
My little 600 has aways had a bit of a weep coming from the vertical cyclinder to crankcase gasket. Went out this morning for a bit of a blast got back and noticed that it has now turned into much more of a leak now.
Just wondering if anyone has had this? If so should I put into a garage to have them put a new gasket in? Which I recon will cost me a arm and a leg. Or should I or could I bodge it with a bit of sealant of some sort

Nickj
17-04-2010, 11:34 AM
That'll be from the rear of the cylinder?? It's one of those things that the motor is prone to and isnn't uncommon.
You can either leave, figuring the oil will stop any corrosion OR have fixed. It depends how much oil is seeping out and usually it's not much but the webbing on the cases lets it pool up.
You can do it with the motor in the frame, needs he head and barrel pulled and a new base gasket

Pomp1
17-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Had this problem recently after the engine rebuilt on mine, you'll need a new base gasket and a set of O-rings, around 15 quid. see here (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=37008&highlight=gasket) for the correct gasket sealant number. Isn't a difficult job, and can be done with the engine in, but will take a bit of time if is your first attempt. May be worth changing belts as well if they're due..

Lucky
17-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Hum, very interested in this thread as I have noticee I have the exact same problem on my M900.

Should I just leave it or get it done. Is it going to be expensive?:on:

Nickj
17-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Is it going to be expensive?:on:

As Pomp says the parts you need are available and cheap at about £15.
Figure what the cost of labour runs at and add a few hours of that. Your time is a lot cheaper.

carrot
22-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Managed to do mine in about 4 hours but its my first go at v-twin.
Had to make tool for the head bolts though.