PDA

View Full Version : Data tool system3 question

snakey
12-04-2010, 06:36 PM
coming home from work this evening the alarm system decided to arm itself and go off while i was riding the bike, it did this 3-4 times. the system has been on the bike since i bought it in 2002, and never been a problem till now. Has anyone else had this problem and how was it sorted out.

pete

analogue_rogue
12-04-2010, 06:40 PM
when i worked for carnells years ago i was qualified on the earlier datatool systems and we had this a couple of times on systems that had been fitted to bikes fir a while.. mostly it was water damage, but on the dry miles only bikes it was vibration damage. whilst the alarm systems are good, they dont last forever and it does sound liek yours is starting to have internal issues.

gregski
12-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Has anyone else had this problem and how was it sorted out.

pete

well I try few garages with mine but end up buing a new unit

analogue_rogue
12-04-2010, 08:07 PM
yeah . unfortunately thats the only real option....

gregski
12-04-2010, 08:15 PM
I both my s4 Red on ebay for 150 quit with all the documents took it to the P&H and they fit it for me I think it was 50 popunds extra to the charge of the service.

snakey
12-04-2010, 08:24 PM
thanks for the quick response - i had a look on the datatool site and am trying their de-spike suggestion at the moment, but not at all sure it will do any good, i think that the only option will be to remove it, but don't know how easy that will be. help may be required on that issue as well - watch this space!
And as if that is not enough tried to get the sport sorted to use for work and the fork seals have gone and are dripping oil onto the front Tyre and disc, so it looks like it will have to be the car.

Pete.

analogue_rogue
12-04-2010, 08:33 PM
the datatool is relatively easy to remove as long as you take a steady calm approach.. its just a case of following the black wires and re connecting the same colour wires in the loom etc etc.. just watch out that datatool fitters cut large chunks of wire out to stop people just reconnecting.. so use the black wire to "fill" the gaps.... but seriously its not hard..

dunlop0_1
13-04-2010, 05:38 AM
the datatool is relatively easy to remove as long as you take a steady calm approach.. its just a case of following the black wires and re connecting the same colour wires in the loom etc etc.. just watch out that datatool fitters cut large chunks of wire out to stop people just reconnecting.. so use the black wire to "fill" the gaps.... but seriously its not hard..

+1 on that. Unless you need it for insurance purposes or you feel better with it on. Took me about an hour or so to back trace and remove the one on my 748.
Never gives me any trouble now. LOL

snakey
13-04-2010, 08:02 PM
thanks again - looks as if it will be coming off at the weekend.

Pete.

snakey
17-04-2010, 02:08 PM

just done all above - now bikes as dead as a doornail, traced all the black wires that they had only twisted onto the ones that were there and removed them, joined the two that were split, and put it all back together - result nothing working, i can hear the relay click but the petrol pump does not kick in, the starter motor is not turning on the button and the coils are getting hot. i have now disconnected the battery and am scratching my head - any ideas.

Pete.

analogue_rogue
17-04-2010, 05:32 PM
sounds like you havent done it properly.. something somewhere isnt right..... without seeing it there isnt much i can offer.. if starter doesnt turn.. follow that circuit... same with coils....

snakey
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
re traced all the steps and all the re-joins seem OK, the only thing 'extra' that i have found that is not on the wiring diagram that was kindly sent to me is what looks to be a diode on the pink wire coming out of the flasher unit, i don't know if this needs to be removed, but everything else is working , lights,indicators,brake light,horn etc, just about to give up for the day now as have finally got the fork seals sorted on the sport and it's sunny, i haven't been on either bike for about 3 weeks now, do i really want to be in the garage scratching my head ?

Pete.

Nickj
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
the only thing 'extra' that i have found that is not on the wiring diagram that was kindly sent to me is what looks to be a diode on the pink wire coming out of the flasher unit

That'll probably be so the alarm could flash both the indicators at once. I found when I was sticking in a trail tech clock that the polarity changed depending on which side was flashing. It isn't anything you should need.

analogue_rogue
02-05-2010, 08:22 AM
the diode is fitted to some bikes to stop the indicators working with the ignition off. sometimes the alarm units can back feed through themselves.. you can remove the diode but to be honest it wont make any differenceto the bike itself..

can you list what does and doesnt work..and i can try and help work out what still needs doing?

the datatool alarm imobilises twostart circuits.. usually one on the starter and one on the kill switch circuit (although it depends who fitted it as to whether they did it this way or not) can you also list which two circuits you have reconected (or the coloured wires)

snakey
02-05-2010, 08:36 AM
When i switch the ignition on the neutral and oil light come on on the panel, headlight and tail light work, horn and indicators, I can hear the relay 'click' in but as you say nothing on the starter.as to the circuits that i have reconnected i have just traced the wires from the alarm into the loom and disconnected them and reconnected the ones that have been cut ( though most were only spliced in and the original wire had not been cut )
pete.

analogue_rogue
02-05-2010, 09:13 AM
When i switch the ignition on the neutral and oil light come on on the panel, headlight and tail light work, horn and indicators, I can hear the relay 'click' in but as you say nothing on the starter.as to the circuits that i have reconnected i have just traced the wires from the alarm into the loom and disconnected them and reconnected the ones that have been cut ( though most were only spliced in and the original wire had not been cut )
pete.

ok.. then you havent found them lol...

the spliced wires are the indicator control wires and woer and earth wires.. there are 4 wires that will be routed and connected into the loom to immobilise. i promise they are there..

ill pm you my number and you can call if you like? i can talk you through it