PDA

View Full Version : oil leack front forks after new seals

Ducmon
09-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I have just changed the oil seals on my forks and after a test ride I have found that oil is leaking. Is this normal and will it stop once the seals are bedded in? There are no pits on the forks and the seals are original ducati seals which were produced in 2008.

I have been told by the dealer that they would be alright when I bought them.

I would appreciate any advice
David

bigfiretruck
09-04-2010, 04:38 PM
ive had the same problem mine is down to pitting on the bottom of my fork tubes.
the only fix was to replace the tubes for the whole fork leg.

animaluk
09-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Really common this on M600's due to the wear on the chrome only fix is to replace the tubes as said

Ducmon
09-04-2010, 05:32 PM
They were only leaking a little bit before I changed the seals to new ones and now it is pissing out.

I have checked the diameters and there is no wear and pitting on the tubes. This why I can not understand what is wrong.

David

analogue_rogue
09-04-2010, 06:39 PM
on the seals on the back is a little spring in a circle.. the fork seals are made the same way as crankshaft sealsin cars and this spring can "ping" off when installing.. if it does and you havent noticed the seal wont seal tight enough to stop the oil...

Capo
09-04-2010, 07:03 PM
If precautions are not taken, it is possible to nick the seal surface during installation.

pegboy
09-04-2010, 07:46 PM
If precautions are not taken, it is possible to nick the seal surface during installation.

I did exactly that, nicked the seals slightly upon installation, even after being warned about it. easily done especially if it's your first go at it.