PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Recomend

snakey
29-03-2010, 06:58 PM
clutch / brake fluid for a M 750 i replaced what was in there with putoline fluid and the clutch feels too light and i have difficulty getting neutral, though that could be the engine oil that i used, that was putoline as well - i cant find a supplier of rock oil down here in the darkest depths of Devon, which is what i have been using and getting along fine with.

Pete

dunlop0_1
29-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Could you get neutral ok before? Is it better/worse with the engine hot or cold? Does it go in easy if you are rolling foward slightly? If you have an adjustable lever put it on the widest span and try again. If neutral is easier then try bleeding the slave cylinder again. I think the make of fluid is irrelevant as long as it is dot 4. I use Wilkinsons own brand without any problems at all. Other causes can be tickover to high, warped plates, lever span to small.

CK & AK
29-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Have you tried bleeding it again? as they can be a right so-and-so to get all the air out & your symptom sounds lke air in there still.
Putoline is fine to use.

AK

snakey
29-03-2010, 09:07 PM
will try bleeding it again though this will be the 3rd time , it does go into neutral easier if the bike is hot or rolling slightly forward,

dunlop0_1
30-03-2010, 05:36 AM
will try bleeding it again though this will be the 3rd time , it does go into neutral easier if the bike is hot or rolling slightly forward,

That would say to me that either the plates are not seperating enough/sticking together or they are warped.
I did have the plates sticking together problem on a 1200 bandit some years ago. All down to the oil the previous owner had been using. Oil change and clean plates cured it. However i think the bleeding issue should be resolved first.

If yours is the engine type with a seperate slave cylinder try holding it as high as possible when bleeding, but make sure you don't pop the cylinder out.

analogue_rogue
30-03-2010, 03:25 PM
i was told about worn clutches sticking.. there is an adjuster onthe clutch with a pinch nut on it.. havent had to do it. but it takes up the play in the clutch and gives the same symptoms as a clutch with air in the line...

dunlop0_1
30-03-2010, 04:39 PM
i was told about worn clutches sticking.. there is an adjuster onthe clutch with a pinch nut on it.. havent had to do it. but it takes up the play in the clutch and gives the same symptoms as a clutch with air in the line...

I stand to be corrected but i have never seen this nut and bolt you talk of.

snakey
30-03-2010, 05:06 PM

Not on the M750 anyway. BTW it was a complete clutch plate pack(drivers & driven) that i replaced so there should not be any warping issues, but worth a look. the oil could be to blame, as i said i used to use rock oil semi synth but could not find a supplier when i moved down here, so had to go for putoline which i have not heard of before now.

Pete.

Martin Duc Glas
30-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Have you tried bleeding it again? as they can be a right so-and-so to get all the air out & your symptom sounds lke air in there still.
Putoline is fine to use.

AK

Ditto to this. Check easy / cheap first, then go looking for the more complex stuff next.

If it was fine until you changed the fluid and then this issue started then it's very likely probs gonna be the fluid.

Have you checked the obvious like the fluid is new? It's not been open to atmosphere in a damp garage? Your letting it settle for a good 24 hours and not shaking it prior to use?

Is your clutch line a bit mucky / full off dirt particles? It might take a full bottle of new fluid to clean it right out if it's bad or old.

Best of luck.

analogue_rogue
31-03-2010, 11:22 AM

i am not sure if all the clutches have them but im told dry clutches have them? the guy that told me is a harley mechanic so maybe he is confused.. lol

dunlop0_1
31-03-2010, 06:55 PM
:chuckle::chuckle:i am not sure if all the clutches have them but im told dry clutches have them? the guy that told me is a harley mechanic so maybe he is confused.. lol

Not on the dry clutch . Your Harley mechanic should stick to tractors.

analogue_rogue
31-03-2010, 07:15 PM
:chuckle::chuckle:

Not on the dry clutch . Your Harley mechanic should stick to tractors.

and people in forums shoudlnt judge? maybe it was the wet clutch.. ill have a look when i take my cover off...

dunlop0_1
31-03-2010, 07:39 PM
and people in forums shoudlnt judge? maybe it was the wet clutch.. ill have a look when i take my cover off...

oooooooooh put your claws away tiger.

Ive had the dry clutch on my 748 apart more times than i can remember, no adjustng nut/bolt.
Same goes for Louise's M750 & M600 (wet clutch & internal slave) and my 620 DD bike (wet clutch & external slave), no adjustng nut/bolt

I would'nt go on a Harley forum and quote Ducati mechanics opinion.

Like i said, stick to tractors. LOL

Albie
31-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Just plates and springs and spring caps and bolts. Maybe your getting them confused. You dont want to slacken them off. Just remove 2 if you want a lighter clutch when you break one off like me :hissy::(:)

analogue_rogue
31-03-2010, 08:23 PM
oooooooooh put your claws away tiger.

Ive had the dry clutch on my 748 apart more times than i can remember, no adjustng nut/bolt.
Same goes for Louise's M750 & M600 (wet clutch & internal slave) and my 620 DD bike (wet clutch & external slave), no adjustng nut/bolt

I would'nt go on a Harley forum and quote Ducati mechanics opinion.

Like i said, stick to tractors. LOL

ducati and harley are the same company..... and i did only say i was told.. so maybe not then.. but all the same.. ill gave a look. i dont doubt what your saying..i looked at the parts fisch and there is no adjuster there either.. which makes sense as having a hydraulic line makes it self adjusting anyway....

dunlop0_1
31-03-2010, 09:14 PM
No worries,
If you lean the bike over far enough to the left you don't need to drain the engine oil when removing the clutch casing, unless the oil is the problem of course.
If it was mine. Strip, check and clean the plates would be a definite. Also remember not to over tighten the pressure plate spring retaining bolts as they are easily stripped.

To be honest how can anyone not like this, even me.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/dunlop0_1/evelk1.jpg

analogue_rogue
31-03-2010, 09:23 PM
mine isnt a clutch plate problem.. i just need to service it the bike.. hence the oil change.. my actuator is sucking air in i think .. replacement one arrived today so i got a busy week ahead...