PDA

View Full Version : New boots needed help on decision

Albie
28-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I have my dainese K boots for around 10 years and they have given me good service other than replacing toe sliders as they fall off ( not screwed on )

Anyway I dont want to spend mega hundreds as I dont race. I wanted Dainese as all my leathers are them but not adversed to change. I dont want spangly colours just Black and no silly straps and clamps but waterproofish modern looking and still sporty. I looked at the Dainese Fulcrum at £159 and wondered about the sidi's. Do they still squeak. A decent site with bargains will help and I need a 10/ 45 in euro size as my 9.5/44 are a wee tight with thick socks.

These are the sidi's Im looking at
http://www.phmotorcycles.co.uk/clothing/motorcycle-boots/black-rain-evo-boot

Thanks for any good help you can give me.

Rogerg
28-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Have a look at Daytona boot Ablie,

They are superb

slob
28-03-2010, 07:56 PM
I love my Daytonas, quite expensive, look a bit odd but warm, 'all day' comfortable and 100% waterproof. Get yourself down to a shop with a good selection and try a bunch of different boots on, after all you feet are, well, personal, so only you can decide. I found my Sidi black rain leaked like teabags from day one.

chris yeatman
28-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Have a look at Daytona boot Ablie,

They are superb

wot rog said,^^^^^^^^^ also got them.

uksurfer
28-03-2010, 07:58 PM
daytona's :thumbsup:

Albie
28-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Ok matey. Had at look at P & H motorcycles website. Not too far and a good range.

Rally
28-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Albie, My boots are "Oxstar" and are fantastic value for money. They have goretex linings and never let water in, even walking through streams with them whilst watching enduros. I cannot recommend them enough. Mine are plain black with a simple pull tight cord covered with a velcro front flap.

Albie
28-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Visit to the shops this week. Annoyingly they all seem to be fixed prices even on the bay.

MrsC_772
28-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Andy says his Daytona Goretex boots are the best bit of kit he bought. On a particularly grim wet ride back from his parents, his feet were the only bits of him that stayed dry. His were from Hein Gericke - I think they might be these: http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/3_138/products_id/5307.

I know quite a few people on another forum swear by Altbergs - ugly and take some wearing in, but very waterproof and tough. (Will probably go for Altbergs myself when my current boots give up the ghost, especially as Altberg make size 3 1/2, or even made to measure).

Rally
28-03-2010, 09:16 PM
George Whites in Swindon are the cheapest in the UK at their outlet shop. I'm not sure if their website has a shop or not? It may be worth a look.

Thirdway
28-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Daytona's one of the best bits of kit I have ever bought. I'm still on the original pair I bought back in 1997. Mine are not supposed to be waterproof but do a damned good job of acting like it. Comfortable as slippers on and off the bike.

The other alternative, but not as pretty IMO are the solidy built Altbergs which are hand made in Richmond North Yorkshire and are CE rated. Always come 1st or second in Ride magazine reviews and owners swear by them.

Both of these boots can be sent back to the manufacture for a re-sole and re-condition.

southfrance
28-03-2010, 10:47 PM
just got some TCX Performance boots, entry level sport/street boot, black, simple design, size 45, very comfy, 100 quid , very pleased.

sf

sburrows87
29-03-2010, 08:41 AM
I wear alpinestars smx plus boots and although they look a bit flashy and are a bit of a pain to get on and off they are really really comfy, iv had an off in them too and they saved my feet...

Gilps
29-03-2010, 09:02 AM
I've got some Gaerne boots which I raced and crashed in several times. Very comfy, good value, and protect the feet well in an off.

I've also got Altberg Lighweight Clubman Roadster which I rate highly. Totally waterproof, very well made, service is excellent, resole service available too. I wouldn't go as far as to say they are ugly. They are just not fashionable like Sidis/Astar etc. Personally I don't think they are any worse looking than Daytonas which are probably about the best boots you can get. Several police forces use the Altbergs as standard kit for their riders.

scareycarey
29-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Daytona defo the best I've owned but pricey, I just got some puma boots which are comfy as the trainers from the off....

simon_g
29-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I found Sidis really tight width-wise, and I don't think my feet are very wide. Alpinestars were spot on (SMX4s), really comfy and no squeaks. The size I ended up with was a couple of sizes below my usual shoe size though.

He11cat
29-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Daytona .. just got a pair ... oh heaven!!!! so comfy and I have a real tough time with boots .. these are like well armored slippers but sturdy .. no squeeks!

JaKS
29-03-2010, 04:06 PM
I've got Daytona Motorcycle Sport Easy Goretex Boots, brilliant.

yellowfever
30-03-2010, 11:58 AM
maybe does not fit your 'sporty' requirement but I can swear by sidi courier boots - tough as hell, waterproof and the buckle closures are really easy to use so getting in and out of them is a breeze. Kept me dry and protected when commuting in London, comfy on long tours including fair bit of walking around in them and survived a high speed off unscathed at silverstone track day with just a bit of scuffing. They do take some breaking in as they are stiff as you'd expect from an MX style boot (albeit citified a bit) and some may not like the mad-max/goth type styling but I really can't fault them and you can get spares for them (on my second set of metal toe protector. My 10 year old pair finally giving up as waterproof material under the shine guard finally worn and got a hole in, but think I'll be getting the same again....

Ducmon
30-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I spent 3 weeks trying to find boots that I could get my feet in. I have a very high instep which meant that I have to buy boots two sizes too big, in the end I found a pair of Daytonas travel stars gtx which I can get into the correct size once I had removed the sole liner. They take a little while to break in and to get used to the gear change, but I can not recommend them enough.

Shuffy
30-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Visit to the shops this week. Annoyingly they all seem to be fixed prices even on the bay.

If you're still after Daytona boots Albie, have a look at John Groombridge Motorcycles, these seem a very god deal, they have your size and not that far from you.

http://tinyurl.com/yaz9dso

He11cat
30-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Just don't get the ones called M stars unless you want to be really tall !!
They are the mens versions of lady stars and have a hidden platform thingmy in them and you feel like your on stilts! Well I do because I am inch high private eye..

Albie
30-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I just been to the shops and got some Sidi's. Paid a bit more than I wanted too but a real nice fit and waterproof within reason. Gortex lined and no flashy clips clamps or brightwork.
The dainese ones I wanted had not my size and been replaced with a £250 ones and didnt like them. Loads of plastic and fit was baggy on the top.

The daytonas were just out of my league pricewise. Yes I could have got them but I do budget just like I could have got a Streetfighter but NO. Had a quick look at one and they are so heavy looking.

Anyhow Im pleased with my purchase and Im £210 poorer.But hey they are now all black and stupid black and dayglow dirty red.

They had some daytonas with carbon fibre insoles btw. Very expensive unless you happen to get your leg ran over.:on:

uksurfer
30-03-2010, 05:08 PM
nice one Albie, i bought my 'Daytonas' for about £70

(was about 14 years ago) :running:

Albie
30-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I paid £110 for Dainese I think 12 years ago. I can still use them for trackdays or sunny days but I wanted some new ones that were black. I didnt dare try the daytonas on as may have been swayed.
They had Dainese race boots for £100 but those shortie ones. Pure race boots. Nice but impractical.

I got these.

http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Sidi-B2-Goretex_AKBY8.aspx

uksurfer
30-03-2010, 06:25 PM
they look nice, should last a while. Not sure about highlighting the lettering though :)
I must admit i bought boots last year from the bloke round the corner for £20, he used to have a shop and he has a loft full of stuff up there, can't think what make they are but there warm for the winter, keeping the Daytona slippers for the summer (if it comes)

Albie
30-03-2010, 06:37 PM
they look nice, should last a while. Not sure about highlighting the lettering though :)
I must admit i bought boots last year from the bloke round the corner for £20, he used to have a shop and he has a loft full of stuff up there, can't think what make they are but there warm for the winter, keeping the Daytona slippers for the summer (if it comes)

Ermm those stickers are for toolboxes I think. Or for fairings or for your kids. Not what I thought. Im happy with the dark look anyhow. Bikes bling enough ;)

alan c
30-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Nice boots Albie. :flag: very racey

I need to get a new pair, ive had a pair of Alpine stars MX4,s for a couple of years and one has started to let water in, i wear them to work everyday so i suppose theve lasted ok ? did you get yours from Helmet city ? and do they have a good selection to try on ? Got my last pair from Hein Geriech so will have a look there,

Albie
30-03-2010, 07:05 PM
P & H in crawley. They had a good range. Just wanted to check out the dainese range first as they sell sidi dainese and daytona. Hein gericke sell sidi I believe also try lagunas in maidstone.

Racey I hope not Sporty maybe :D:D

alan c
31-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Ok sporty then ;) thanks Albie i will start looking asap.