PDA

View Full Version : 695 missing at low res

Wildman
28-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi guys

I went out and did 100 miles on the 695 today to try and get to know it. On a few occasions it was 'missing' after running down and then applying a little throttle... I could feel it through the bike as a judder and also felt it through the grip/throttle?

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Does a bike hold errors in the ECU like car does?

LouSCannon
28-03-2010, 07:09 PM
You may have been letting the revs drop too low? What sort of revs have you been cruising at, and what revs were you doing when you felt the judder?

Wildman
28-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I've been trying to keep the revs between 3 - 5k. Its definately a miss rather than drive chain judder from being in the wrong gear, I can hear it miss like a loud 'tick'

gary tompkins
28-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Get the ECU plugged into a workshop computer for a check up

Maybe the EFI mapping needs re-setting as they have been known slip

Wildman
29-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Cheers. Anyone know anyone local to Preston who does diagnostics?

Paivi
29-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I think all 695s do that. You'll get used to it. ;)

Wildman
29-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I think all 695s do that. You'll get used to it. ;)

Ha ha, are you being serious? When I was out yesterday I came off the throttle and then got ready to over take some cars and it'd miss then... quite un-nerving when getting ready to do a maneuver...

LouSCannon
29-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I've been trying to keep the revs between 3 - 5k. Its definately a miss rather than drive chain judder from being in the wrong gear, I can hear it miss like a loud 'tick'

Hmmm anything below 4k revs on my 695 and it juddered when I opened it up. I found the sweet spot around 6 - 8k for overtaking, often requiring a gear change (One good reason I went to a bigger monster)... I wouldn't like to say for sure unless I rode the bike, but it sounds like normal.

The loud tick however isn't normal... hence my hesitation!

If you get along to one of meets we can take a look then, in the meantime, as Gary says, might be an idea to find your nearest good service shop, which would be a good idea anyway, and see if they can take a quick look at the ECU...

Wildman
29-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Hmmm anything below 4k revs on my 695 and it juddered when I opened it up. I found the sweet spot around 6 - 8k for overtaking, often requiring a gear change (One good reason I went to a bigger monster)... I wouldn't like to say for sure unless I rode the bike, but it sounds like normal.

The loud tick however isn't normal... hence my hesitation!

If you get along to one of meets we can take a look then, in the meantime, as Gary says, might be an idea to find your nearest good service shop, which would be a good idea anyway, and see if they can take a quick look at the ECU...

Cheers guys. It doesn't happen all the time, it just did it yesterday whilst I was being followed by another bike, I've not tried to investigate whilst it's stationery though which is the next step.

I've spoken to these guys http://www.junction-33.com/ who said that they can put it on the dyno for £25 for an assessment

CK & AK
29-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Worth getting the TPS checked out on it, wont take long at any Ducati tech who has the diagnostics.
They 'are' a bit lumpy at low rpm, but not as how you are describing.

CK

Wildman
29-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Worth getting the TPS checked out on it, wont take long at any Ducati tech who has the diagnostics.
They 'are' a bit lumpy at low rpm, but not as how you are describing.

CK

Cheers, I presume TPS is Throttle Position Sensor? Would that give an error on the ecu?

CK & AK
29-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Cheers, I presume TPS is Throttle Position Sensor? Would that give an error on the ecu?

Yes, it can do. Hence why I said its worth getting a Ducati agent to plug it in for diagnosics, rather than revving it on a dyno..... :)

Wildman
29-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Yes, it can do. Hence why I said its worth getting a Ducati agent to plug it in for diagnosics, rather than revving it on a dyno..... :)

Do you think its best to go to a main dealer then?

CK & AK
29-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Do you think its best to go to a main dealer then?

any ducati tech who has the diagnosics (many non-Ducati mechs will not have the right plug-ins)

southfrance
29-03-2010, 04:30 PM
About time I put my 2 pence in. The only thing I am aware of on a properly set up 695 is the odd low rev 'cough' or 'hic-up' there have been 1 or 2 posts on hear before about that. If you say the engine almost dies when dropping down to overtake then that sounds more like an actual problem than just it's 'character'. In two years I have only ever had the odd 'cough' on deceleration at low speed, other than that the engine never misses a beat.

sf

Wildman
29-03-2010, 04:32 PM
The only thing I am aware of on a properly set up 695 is the odd low rev 'cough' or 'hic-up' there have been 1 or 2 posts on hear before about that.

Thats exactly what mine is like, almost like a hic up.

southfrance
29-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Well, if it is a case of the hic-ups there are 3 possible easy remedys:

1. Creep up behind the bike and shout really loud, this should shock the bike into not hicuping.

2. Use a bit of clutch and rev the engine at low speeds, a bit like blipping the throttle.

3. Put a 14T front sprocket on and that will keep the low speed revs up a bit.

Really the hic-ups should be very occasional and not cause any real problems, if you have a bad case best get her to a doctor.

sf

Wildman
29-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Cheers SF, I may just get her checked out to rule out any gremlins

Nickj
29-03-2010, 06:43 PM

1. Creep up behind the bike and shout really loud, this should shock the bike into not hicuping.

2. Use a bit of clutch and rev the engine at low speeds, a bit like blipping the throttle.

Really the hic-ups should be very occasional and not cause any real problems, if you have a bad case best get her to a doctor.

sf

Fitting a paper bag over the offending head should do it.

Mine did a hic-up today, slow car making me go down to stupid low revs in 2nd. Simple answer is no low revs :mand:

analogue_rogue
30-03-2010, 12:44 PM

sf

1. if someone has hiccups.. ask them their middlename.. it works.. i promise..

2. just masks the problem doesnt really fix it...

3. again just works around the problem no real fix here either :(

hiccups are usually down to gradual increase in unburnt fuel or the fuel air mixture gradually getting richer until ther eis enough to cause the extra "hiccup" or unbalanced cylinders..

might be worth getting the mixture checked?

Wildman
30-03-2010, 01:45 PM
hiccups are usually down to gradual increase in unburnt fuel or the fuel air mixture gradually getting richer until ther eis enough to cause the extra "hiccup" or unbalanced cylinders..

might be worth getting the mixture checked?

How'd I get that checked out?

analogue_rogue
30-03-2010, 03:20 PM
pull ya plugs and check what colour they are... black and sooty or wet is rich white and chalky is lean.. they should be a nice light brown colour

Wildman
14-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Just a little update on this.

Took it along to http://www.ducati-john.co.uk/ last week who plugged it into his lap top to look at the fueling. It was reading 0 for the fuel trim so we upped it to +30 as the plugs showed signs of running lean and also the heat fins on the cylinder.

It was running better but still gave me a miss every now and again. So on the advice of Ducati John I changed the plugs and now it is perfect. The plugs must have been running lean for so long that it'd goosed them.