PDA

View Full Version : HID conversion for 696/1100

Thirdway
28-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Anyone fitted HID to a 696/1100 ?

Going touring in September and wondered about legality, light output with the standard lens and reliability.

Been looking at HID 4 U site and looking at the prices it doesn't look like it would be a huge cost over buying a couple of spare bulbs for the trip and might help to give me some better lighting if we get caught out in the dark. The old eyes struggle in dark conditions these days and anything that improves comfort and margin of safety is welcomed.

Barthog
28-03-2010, 05:18 PM
If you do a search for Hid you should find plenty info.
Fitted one to my 696 then transferered to my 1100.
Still going strong.
you can always take the original bulb with you and swap it back if the hid blew do-able at the roadside.

Thirdway
28-03-2010, 06:09 PM
If you do a search for Hid you should find plenty info.
Fitted one to my 696 then transferered to my 1100.
Still going strong.
you can always take the original bulb with you and swap it back if the hid blew do-able at the roadside.

Cheers Barthog.

I did a search but there was little info. I gather you bought the standard sized pro ballast and an extension lead ?

Do you find the light to be better and if you had the option to fit from scratch would you still use the standard ballast and mount it under the tank by the battery?

I don't have the option of putting it under the seat unless I start looking for somewhere to mount the Scottoiler.

Barthog
29-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Yes i would still fit it the same way,The extension leads are the black and yellow connectors as used elswhere on the bike easy to fit and remove and water tight (a bit expensive) But i believe the price has dropped a lot since i purchased and the discount code still works as of sunday!
The fitting is easy if you havent lifted the tank then PM me for help.
I went for the standard as i had heard the slim gets hotter and was worried about it boiling the petrol!
But as i have found with the big lump underneath producing plenty of heat it shouldnt be a problem.
The standard fits neatly just to the right of the battery i put plenty double sided tape on all sides and it doesnt move.
The light is a massive improvement and using a third of the power.

Thirdway
30-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Yes i would still fit it the same way,The extension leads are the black and yellow connectors as used elswhere on the bike easy to fit and remove and water tight (a bit expensive) But i believe the price has dropped a lot since i purchased and the discount code still works as of sunday!
The fitting is easy if you havent lifted the tank then PM me for help.
I went for the standard as i had heard the slim gets hotter and was worried about it boiling the petrol!
But as i have found with the big lump underneath producing plenty of heat it shouldnt be a problem.
The standard fits neatly just to the right of the battery i put plenty double sided tape on all sides and it doesnt move.
The light is a massive improvement and using a third of the power.

Discount code ???:spin:

Which extension lead was required ?

Thanks again.

Nickj
30-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Discount code ???:spin:

That'll be the magic discount code you use to get a discount from ..... Ohh see what you mean LOL

Thirdway
30-03-2010, 03:29 PM
On balance I've decide not to bother with this conversion. I was never a fan of the 'lights on' to be safe idea and always left mine off until some petty official decided I shouldn't have control of my lights and took away my bloody switch :cens: Next we will all have to have those rotating yellow beacons and flourescent bikes.

Anyway I digress. The reason I'm not going this direction is the number of cars and bikes on the road sporting outrageous amounts of blue tinted watts that dazzle the hell out of my eyes and are a dangerous IMO. So, I'm not going to swell their ranks even if this mod is carried out with the best intentions. I shall just ride slower and appreciate the gentle mediterranean breeze, purr of the engine and all the myriad of little creatures that scurry around the hedgerows of an evening.

Barthog
30-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi Thirdway,

When you search for HID as per prev reply, look for "Just Fitted low beam Xenon Hid kit to 696"
I posted this with all details as mentioned,exten lead etc.
The discount code is there giving you 10=14% disc!
Also if you read up un Hids 4u site they advise not going for the blue as per your statement ref dazzled