PDA

View Full Version : touring seat advice for S2R1000

yellowfever
27-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I do big touring trips on the S2R 1000 and although the standard seat is much better/more comfy that the one on my M600, thinking about upgrading, to be honest partly just for a bit of bling factor....

Not looked into it too much yet, but the options seem to be between a gel seat from Ducati peformance, or foam one from Seargent. I want one that is waterproof so no leather seats from corbin etc, nice as they can look.

Will need to still be able to fit the seat hump cover and carry bits and bobs of stuff under the seat. Think I quite like the Italian tricolour patch on the side of the seat too, which don't think the DP one does?

Anyway some say gel is the way to go and the comfiest whilst others say gel gets very hot so not good when touring warm places, whereas foam is cooler so less betty swallocks...

Anyone got advice to offer on the way to go? Which seats are the comfiest? Which look best? what is the best price and from where? Any issues to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts....

ps also thinking about bling adjustable levers, tho' frankly there is nothing wrong with the originals which are adjustable and fine. But the gods of bling will not be denied. Pazzo, ASV, CRG. Normal not shorties as have the 'real mans' clutch... Be nice it they did not break or broke but with suicide bit so still useable in case I ever drop bike in the middle of nowhere when touring.... Any advice welcome....

Cheers

D

yellowfever
27-03-2010, 03:26 PM
shameless bump! any thoughts from folk who have swapped seats?

Albie
27-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Corbin will be too hard for touring. I had one on my s4 but the pillion bit is comfier. I have a dp one on the m1100s which I believe is high density foam and not gel. From what I gather the dp gel touring seats are the way to go with older monsters. Reasonable price too around £130 I believe.

The levers I am in the same situation in looking around. Pazzos and seen some called Titax around £120 a pair. I like short but dont fancy the risk of them aching my fingers. Long for me too. Also looked at the Harris levers and they fold up too. Some say thats bad but if you crash you crash and they around £135

yellowfever
30-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Cheers Albie, looks like DP seat is probably the way forward. Anyone got one of these on their bike and like to comment on comfort etc?

Cheers

David

buzzbomb
30-03-2010, 12:11 PM
David if you look at the pics that LousCannon has posted which were taken on sunday on the egg run you'll see in the third pic a seat on a red S4R that one of our members has remodelled for a member of the DOC. Have a butchers and if your interested PM me and Ill put you in contact with Michael.

Thirdway
30-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Got the touring seat (or have I ? still not sure if this isthe lowered seat version) on the 1100 and it's beautifully comfy. One thing to note though (not sure if it applies to the older monsters) the seat is made with a nice suede which whilst being very grippy is also like a sponge and takes ages to dry after getting wet.

As for levers. I used Pazzo on the Street Triple and went for the standard length in plain alloy as I prefer bikes to look as standard as possible. They have a weak point to allow the ball to break off leaving most of the lever intact. Somewhere I came across levers which were apparently indestructible, but they were very expensive.

yellowfever
31-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. If anyone else interested, here is the link to the touring seat for 2006 S2R and various other monsters on the Ducati website. Not very informative (does not say whether gel or foam), but does seem to have some fancy material on at least part of it which. Not great if it is sponge-like though... Cost is £146 before any discount chats....

http://www.ducati.com/accessories/touring/comfort_seat_for_monster/171/index.do?urlBack=%2Fvi%2Faccessory.do%3FkeyWord%3D %26pageNumber%3D0%26idBikeFamily%3D22%26idModelBik e%3DS2R+1000%26idModelYear%3D5%26idCategory%3D0%26 nameOrder%3Dasc%26sortOrder%3Dname

Albie
31-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Got the touring seat (or have I ? still not sure if this isthe lowered seat version) on the 1100 and it's beautifully comfy. One thing to note though (not sure if it applies to the older monsters) the seat is made with a nice suede which whilst being very grippy is also like a sponge and takes ages to dry after getting wet.

As for levers. I used Pazzo on the Street Triple and went for the standard length in plain alloy as I prefer bikes to look as standard as possible. They have a weak point to allow the ball to break off leaving most of the lever intact. Somewhere I came across levers which were apparently indestructible, but they were very expensive.

Yours is the comfort seat or race seat NOT the touring seat. I like the look of it with the suede effect. The tourer is higher and two types of vinyl. Rough down the sides and smoother top with red stitching

Albie
31-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. If anyone else interested, here is the link to the touring seat for 2006 S2R and various other monsters on the Ducati website. Not very informative (does not say whether gel or foam), but does seem to have some fancy material on at least part of it which. Not great if it is sponge-like though... Cost is £146 before any discount chats....

http://www.ducati.com/accessories/touring/comfort_seat_for_monster/171/index.do?urlBack=%2Fvi%2Faccessory.do%3FkeyWord%3D %26pageNumber%3D0%26idBikeFamily%3D22%26idModelBik e%3DS2R+1000%26idModelYear%3D5%26idCategory%3D0%26 nameOrder%3Dasc%26sortOrder%3Dname

That seat is the newer monster seat and will not fit the older. The touring seats are gel pockets and have sculpted shapes unlike the standard flat surface seats. Im sure you will still be able to get one through ducati.

yellowfever
31-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks albie, looking again the picture is identical for 1100 seat and the s2r 1000 one, so probably a cock up on the website pictures. The 1100 one has a bit of text with the pic, the s2r1000 doesn't. the seats are listed under the 'touring' section but called 'comfort'. The only other seat listed is the lowered one...

I'll see if I can find the right picture somewhere. By the way the decision on which seat got a whole lot easier as sargent seats are over £350!! and not clear if they do one that works for s2r...

http://www.sargentcycle.co.uk/acatalog/info_WS_514.html

Thirdway
01-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Yours is the comfort seat or race seat NOT the touring seat. I like the look of it with the suede effect. The tourer is higher and two types of vinyl. Rough down the sides and smoother top with red stitching

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj156/thirdway/RIMG0179.jpg

Martin C
01-04-2010, 12:30 AM
I fitted Trak-Tech levers (from "Busters") to both my M900 & my ST4 a year or so ago, and am delighted with them. I've also just bought an Eagle inflatable seat-pad (from "M & P") for the Monnie, in preparation for a week in northern Spain at the end of May, but haven't yet got around to trying it out on the road.

yellowfever
01-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Found this thread with good seat picture from Panther - assuming this is the seat for the S2R...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=32527&highlight=gel+seat

Jim66a
01-04-2010, 05:07 AM
I tried the DP seat on my S2r1000 but found while the seat was comfier the lower seat height made my nees ache on longer journeys so went back to the original. The DP seat is by far the better looking of the two.

Albie
01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Found this thread with good seat picture from Panther - assuming this is the seat for the S2R...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=32527&highlight=gel+seat

Thats the one. Nicer by far. Unless you have the racey looking Mono Seat .

Gilps
01-04-2010, 05:36 PM
These two old threads may help a little
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=19419
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=21692

yellowfever
03-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Many thanks - seems to be two threads of opinion as far as whether more comfy! Still, does unquestionably look good and as said, I'm at least partly motivated by shallow bling factor issues so will probably go for it....

Thanks to all those chipping in with their views/experiences...

David