PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cable help

Tench1970
22-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I recentle re built my 97 m600 and when putting th throttle cables back together could not get the throttle to snap back, Im pretty sure its a couple of small kinks in the cable so im going to replace them but would apreciate it if someone could explain the correct fitting to me just so I can be sure.

As I have it the lower cable on the carb cam seems to open the carbs and increase revs when the throttle is twisted but the cam that the cable turns is sprung so what is the use of the top cable?

Oily Fingers
22-03-2010, 08:08 PM
does it travel back if you give it abit of a twist backwards by hand??? mine was doin that when i rebuilt the handlebars, i sprayed some wd40 down the cables and in the twist grip where the 2 cables are located on the bars, and it helped a hell of alot.

AllThumbs
22-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Just dealt with the same problem.

First I tested the throttle cam was springing back on it's own with both throttle cables disconnected.
That was all good, so I reconnected only the throttle opening cable.
Problem came back.
Replaced cable with new, suspecting kinked cable. Problem still there.

What the problem ACTUALLY was: the stub (actually, it's a counterweight) located right on the end of the handlebar which butts up against the throttle grip was rubbing against the throttle grip when it was trying to close - preventing it from returning to the fully closed position.

Solution: Loosen the stub with an Allen key. Put a bit of grease/WD40 on the edge where it butts against the throttle grip, tighten up and - VOILA! - super-snappy throttle snap-back.

Worked for me.

AllThumbs
22-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Oh, and the reason you have a throttle closing cable is to allow you to manually cloes the throttle should the spring on the throttle cam stop functioning / jam open for whatever reason.

Tench1970
23-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Cheers guys, im pretty sure its a kink at the throttle end so i'll change but I'll try and get the grip off and check all is well at that end too, it does turn back smoothly and will snap back whenth eadjusters are at the slackest which makes me think im pulling a kink into the adjuster area when tightening them.