PDA

View Full Version : Battery breather pipe

NattyBoy
15-03-2010, 07:56 AM
How important is it to have the clear breather pipe coming off the battery ? Mines slipped off I notice !

Cheers
Nat

Gilps
15-03-2010, 08:01 AM
I ran the DD bike without one but that's just a rat bike. It's not just there to allow the battery to breathe excess gas, but will sometimes vent battery acid during charging or a spill. Without it, the acid will just run down the side of the battery and corrode anything in it's path. You may get lucky without one and it not be an issue. Your call really, but for the cost of a few pennies I wouldn't risk it.

Stafford
15-03-2010, 09:35 AM
In future I'll be buying a gel equivalent to avoid any of the woes that go with acid ones.

Albie
15-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Put one on mate. My first M900 had it hapen to the first owner and it looked shabby . Frame and casings eaten into.

Johnnyrob
15-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Definitely replace it. Think what damage the lead acid will do to the engine cases when you consider what rain water does to them!

Gel battery is a good shout for replacement.

crust
15-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Get it back on, Nat

The battery will drip on the frame and stain the paint, leaves black spots which dont polish out.

NattyBoy
15-03-2010, 10:21 PM
cheers boys will pop into louigis Wednesday to pick some pipe up. I actually had a gel genuine Ducati one on from my spares - only had it on 2 yrs and it's goosed. Strange thing is the ctek indicated it was fine and it's been on most of the winter.

Tench1970
16-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Its not just your frame (which will go a nasty yellow colour), when i stripped my 600 down the plastic battery holder was a melted wreck, only half of the bottom plate was left and the other side had a small coroded disc of plastic left around the mounting bolt :cry: