PDA

View Full Version : New clutch for S4RS

cairojay
09-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Just had the bike in for another warranty issue, having the master cylinder changed for the 2nd time in a year, also had the seals replaced on a new slave cylinder. Additional report on the bike mentioned worn plates and clutch basket which are ok for now but need to be replaced within the next 2000 miles. Quote for the job £340 for new basket and plates incl. labour which seems reasonable but its a hefty cost whichever way you look at it. I've racked up 13,000 miles in the last 2 years but I'm surprised I have worn it out so quickly.

Has anyone gone through this and got any comments about prolonging the life of the clutch? I thought about a slipper clutch but I don't know if this will make any difference in the general wear and tear and of course, they are immensely expensive!

Albie
09-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Sounds a good mileage for a clutch of the dry sort. I know of less miles for some.

jerry
10-03-2010, 05:08 AM
If it was a steel basket, they batter themselves to death ,my S4 steel clutch has 18,000m+ still works fine but rattles like hell, i have a new Aluminium basket and plates to fit when the old on is completely knackered or the sound gets too bad.

rollo22
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Depending on your riding habits colud try a 14 tooth front in makes slow speed work easier
Slipper requires routine cleaning to get the dust out cos it will clog the slipper gear

jezzamondo
10-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I've got a DP slipper on my S4RS, brilliant on track & misjudged corner entries, but a lot of maintenance. Yearly service plus occasional pack clean & shuffle if it starts to squeal.