PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Cutout

jezzamondo
08-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I've now had 3 random complete electrical shut-downs over 48 hours, taking out clocks, lights & the engine (the last time somewhat unnervingly mid corner) of my S4RS. The dash comes to life after a couple of cycles of ignition key &/or alarm & engine restarts. It's just had a service last Friday & the LED indicators installed in the rear are working without shorts or issues (although my plate light is out). Any gems/known issues?

Jim66a
09-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Have you checked your battery connections are tight?

gary tompkins
09-03-2010, 09:02 PM
If it wasn't doing this prior to the service, take it back to the dealer that did the work.

They should sort this for you ASAP

jezzamondo
10-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Will check battery connections, THEN blame Ducati Glasgow! No issue prior to service, can't imagine what they could have done apart from reset of the "Maint" warning on the dash. If I get a short at my indicators, it would blow a fuse, surely?

Martin Duc Glas
12-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Will check battery connections, THEN blame Ducati Glasgow! No issue prior to service, can't imagine what they could have done apart from reset of the "Maint" warning on the dash. If I get a short at my indicators, it would blow a fuse, surely?

Hi jezzamondo,

I'll hazard a guess at this! There is an earth connection screwed directly into the side wall on your ECU that has probably been disturbed during your service as we have been doing the job. The ECU is found under the tank very close to the fuse box & battery etc.

The symptoms you describe sound very much like this needs a nip up to get it tighter, it certainly isn't flapping around (otherwise it would have zero power and not start at all).

I'm embarrassed to admit that if we had completely removed the ECU (during valve clearance check) it may not have been tightened properly on refit. In the same breath however you don't horse these things up either, yours sounds a mere half turn on the loose side.

In any event, i'm pretty sure it's something we have done directly / indirectly, my most humble apologies for that.

I am happy to look at it for you if you brought it through but honestly I wouldn't suggest riding it in case of the mid corner thing happening again! We can pick it up if you would rather but I would suggest the easiest and most time effective thing to do is simply lift the tank, locate the earth strap and give it a little nip up (not too much) and that will be the end of it! It's such an easy fix and you won't miss out any riding time.

If you want, call me tomorrow and i'll talk you through it, it really is a complete doddle and will take moments. I'll check it personally next time you are passing.

Mart

jezzamondo
13-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Hello Martin & welcome to the forum (tho I'm pretty new here myself!)

Can I say that was something else to get a call & post re this, really appreciated & well sleuthed BTW on my contact details. Big thanks for the lead on the (earth) lead, will check it today & get back. I'm pretty sure I know the one...

jezzamondo
26-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Update on this thread - problem tracked (eventually) to ****ie main relay (I know, I know - you're all saying should have looked there first - actually didn't know there was one in an S4RS!) Big thanks to Glasgow Ducati for bringing replacement to Edinburgh MCN show for me to pick up.

jezzamondo
26-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Wow, I can't post the word ****! Too bad if your name's Richard!

vtaggart
26-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I would like to comment on Martins tread,

Well done mate on the honest response, as in the trade these days there is far too much passing the buck. It is difficult to provide a top service 100% of the time and things can go wrong but this type of response can only strengthen your aftersales service and retain future sales.

I know all too well the efforts required to provide a quality service as I have been in the motortrade service department for over 25 years and know how easy it is to go from hero to zero.

Glad it got sorted Jezzamonda.

Cheers Vince

jezzamondo
26-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks Vince, Martin was a champ - over & above the call of duty

Martin Duc Glas
30-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys, we do try our best but like you say, it's impossible to get it right 100% of the time.

As it turns out though, it was a main relay and I was wrong too! :o

Main thing is, job is done and back to working order!:woot:

Just in time for the snow..... again!:Furious: