PDA

View Full Version : Best aftermarket clutch slave

He11cat
06-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Right I am still having problems despite lever change and adjusting.

So its got to be a clutch slave change hasn't it.

Does mine have a 25mm bore? If so I need one with a bigger bore don't I.

Also a couple of people (I would love to thank seriously been a great help thanking you :0) )
suggested opposite spring removal?

I obviously have a wet clutch on M600.

Apart from never typing again I don't know what to do.
My hands are very small and fingers very short (im a freak!! :chuckle:).
I am not a total wimp but this clutch is seriously painful I am changing into neutral to get a break all the time. And apparently the look of pain is all over my face when I ride through town.. been told wow how grumpy did you look.

I want to keep the bike as when I do get out of town bumbling along I love it!!
But need to get it comfy and an enjoyable ride before I do anything else to it.

Poor old ratty thing.
Even if I look a complete pleb and buy another expensive lever for the clutch just to try as well..

Anything just to get it set up right.

So which one to go for please.. anything to stop the pain now.

jerry
06-03-2010, 12:09 PM
OBERON are excellent ..i have one on the S4 and one on the M750...made in England

Thirdway
06-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I am assuming you can fit an alternative with a wet clutch. The Obereron slave cylinder certainly made my dry clutch a bit lighter.

Lever position can certainly make it difficult so make sure the lever is below the level of the handlebars ie pointing down a bit. Adjustable levers such as ASV's or Pazzo's can help bring the lever closer to the bars and making sure that the handlebar grips are as thin as possible as fatter grips can make it a struggle.

At this time of year cold hands will make things a right pain. I get to the point on cold days when even reaching for the clutch is agony. Something that helped me a lot http://www.powerballs.com/ (mind you the frustration of actually getting the thing to work is a pain in itself :spin:).

Gilps
06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
What year is your bike? Which side does the clutch cable go to - the sprocket side or the oil filler side? The later bikes have the clutch slave on the LHS by the sprocket cover. These can be changed with an aftermarket one such as the Oberon.

He11cat
06-03-2010, 12:27 PM
This is what I am wondering .. Can you fit an after market slave to a wet clutch??? (please be a yes!)

I have had a go at a powerball maybe il give one a go again.

I think sadly years of being a slave to the keyboard has taken its toll.
I also now have trouble opening things which gets frustrating as well.
I do get painful hands.

I couldn't open a nice bottle of mead I had as hands just did not have the strength.. so sat and stared at it for 3 days before picking up the phone to a friend and saying please come and open my bottle and Il share with you lol!.

The fact I have very little hands as well does not help. from the ball of my palm near my thumb to tip of middle finger is under 7 inches span. My longest finger is only 3 inches long.
So I have pretty tiny hands.

I have just changed to oxford heated sports grips which are slimmer then original oxfords and give a great deal of warmth! This can also ease up the pain a bit.

But reality is I think a new slave .. and a more doglegged lever...
Usaully I will slap an adjustable lever of any kind on and be ok but not this time.
Made no much difference at all.
:(

Gilps
06-03-2010, 12:57 PM
This is what I am wondering .. Can you fit an after market slave to a wet clutch??? (please be a yes!)

Yes, to the later engines with the clutch slave on the LHS. I've had a play on a few 600's over the past few years and none of them have had heavy clutches. Ceertainly none had needed an aftermarket slave fitting.

He11cat
06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
1999 left hand side ..

My clutch is springy .. but I think the fact my hands are getting knackerd by work on computers for the last 16 years is a lot to do with it!
And a bit of boxing has crunched my hands.

I reckon a touch of RSI going on now..
Funnily enough I used to like bowling and last time I went had problems again with fingers and wrist and had to use a lighter ball.
So I think quite a lot of issues is I am getting to be an old bird now!!

Just don't want to be defeated by this just yet! Love my bike too much :)

cool... has got to worth a shot !! ..

sburrows87
06-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Yes I think you can fit an aftermarket slave no problems, Like has been said I have a 620 and my clutch is light enough BUT if it's causing you problems just try it, it will make it lighter by around 25% (they claim), plus if you get one in black and don't like it - I'll buy it off you lol!

jerry
07-03-2010, 02:26 PM
My wet clutch M750 has one so YES

gremlin
07-03-2010, 08:23 PM
i think a lot of your problem is its winter :banghead: thick electric gloves......... you are using more effort in bending the gloves than you are actually putting into the lever...lol
when i felt your clutch, it was lovely and light :mand: beware removing clutch springs, your clutch will probably start slipping. there is a company that does an auto cluch (twist and go syle) with a lever over-ride abillity for a lot of bikes......might be an option if they do one for a ducati. i'll dig out their details for you to have a ponder over

He11cat
07-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks I ditched the gloves and got heated grips,,,,well the duke is now my mode of transport so got to like it,,,,
Id like to thanks the tossers at the rac ,,, my grandfather was dying so I made a mad dash to surrey sadly on route my car broke down,,, the rac promissed me 90mins,,, then rang to say er sorry aanother 90,,, I explained I had to be at hospital and why,,, anyway when a contractor turned up,,,, fellow biker he begged control to let him take me to have a few mins with my grandad,,,, then tow me back to suffolk,,,,, id like to thank the rac for saying no,I had my car towed away ,,, and got to hospital,,, and spent some time with him,
My cars in brighton possibly for good,,,, dunno how I'm getting home or if the cars worth fixing,, so now no transport but the duke,,
Sorry can't believe the rac for being so heartless to not bend the rules for ten mins,
Oh cool recovery guy knows a biker mate of mine in ippo,,,so what a small world,
I nearly rode down but its hard to ride and see on a bike when ur in tears so took the car incase I had to ferry family as welll
So much for being helpful rac where rude and heartless even the repair guy was speachless,,and said right I'll take u to hospital ,,sod it,,,but they wouldn't let him have a ten min stop

Thirdway
08-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Used my new Oberon clutch slave for the first time today. Very light clutch action like something off a 125. Well recommended.

He11cat
08-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for that good to know.
So a good improvement.
I think my hands are maybe wearing out.
Its got to be worth a go.
It has to get better.
I think I am used to cable clutches they are not as springy.
My 125 clutch.. hmm.. I could work it with my little finger is so light..
A little improvement would be great.

gary tompkins
09-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I've got an MPL slave on the 900ie trike. Made a big difference - much lighter action

You can pick them up new on ebay for £60-70

Yorkie
09-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Quite expensive:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/MPL-Tuningparts-Ltd__W0QQ_armrsZ1

More:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBERON-CLUTCH-SLAVE-CYLINDER-SILVER-FOR-DUCATI-MONSTER_W0QQitemZ190345107744QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2c5173d920

Cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clutch-slave-cylinder-for-Ducati-748-998-749-999-1098_W0QQitemZ180478484049QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mo torcycle_Parts?hash=item2a055b1e51

Good luck.

Yorkie

Pomp1
09-03-2010, 10:59 PM
I have one of this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Clutch-Slave-696-748-49-848-998-1098-Hypermotard_W0QQitemZ110404033627QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item19b497dc5b#ht_2558w t_1075) is nice as it hasn't got any logo on it, good quality too.

He11cat
10-03-2010, 02:26 AM
I have just ordered an oberon one.
Got my car back for the seat belt to break ... ffs... So stuff it Monster now gets fixed..
Going to London on a CG125 that goes 50 top wack is not going to happen again lol... 50mph on that is soul destroying! Would rather just use the monster now.. least I have warm hands on the monster.