PDA

View Full Version : Cam Belt squeaking

JimsDark
04-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Hey all,
Pretty much as the title suggests....I've noticed since the engine was put back together by a certain dealer on a warranty claim, there is a faint (to the point where it can't really be heard on anything over tick-over) continuous squeaking from (i think) the vertical cylinder cam belt....
anyone heard/had this before?
I haven't removed the covers yet but just thought I would ask.:rolleyes:

Cheers in advance!!

Jim

Saint aka ML
04-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Squeak or more like a houl (no idea how to spell that work a discription of what wolf does to a moon).

if it is the latter belt is to tight. You should hear it more when you rev up and then let go the throttle.

If it is squeak I would inspect rollers.

If it comes from belt area in general would check it ASAP.

Nickj
04-03-2010, 07:17 PM
I'd have a look and see though unless it's something gross you probably won't see much.
As you've got the cover off now check the tension with the 5 & 6 mm hex key trick. If you've not seen it have a look here you tube video LINKY LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzPZ84ZRjU)

If it's just too tight follow the instructions or get someone else to reset it for you
Check the bearings go round OK, on the adjuster there is a stack of two.
You ought to be able to clearly read the text on the belt, if one side is fainter then look closely at the adjuster bearings.

JimsDark
05-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks very much for the replies and advice...really useful!! The noise is definately just a faint squeak, not a howl, just like a rubber on plastic squeak (for what sense that makes)
Will whip the covers off and do as you suggest Nick!

Cheers chaps!!:cool: