PDA

View Full Version : HSBC emails is it dodgy

Albie
04-03-2010, 03:31 PM
I have twice had an email from HSBC and seeing Im not a customer I am worried about opening. I interested why or what they may want but is it a scam or virus do you think.

The latest one says 2010 hsbc secure message.

Do I once again dump it.:scratch:

Tonio600
04-03-2010, 03:39 PM
If you're not an HSBC customer, I'd say you can safely dump it. However if you are curious and want to see how people are trying to scam you, you can open the email to read its content. Just make sure you don't click on any links or open any attachment in that email.

Diego
04-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I have twice had an email from HSBC and seeing Im not a customer I am worried about opening. I interested why or what they may want but is it a scam or virus do you think.

The latest one says 2010 hsbc secure message.

Do I once again dump it.:scratch:

If you are not a customer just delete them. It's a known e-mail phishing attempt.

Albie
04-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Ok cheers. I think I will dump it then

animaluk
04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
dump all bank mails if they want you they will ring or send you a letter, if you are a customer login to your normal online banking you will be able to see all legit mails sent to you from there. If your not a customer bin it, also bin that mail that says you won the nigerian lottery :)

alan c
04-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Albie i had the same thing and i do bank with them. I did not open as if there is a problem i am sure they will call or stop card if there is a problem !

slob
04-03-2010, 04:26 PM
What he said^^^^
No bank will ever email you!

I won't even take their phone calls, since they ring up and say 'hello it's card fraud here, what's your DoB etc.' but I can't verify who they are.

alan c
04-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Rob, i had the same the woman phoned and said she was from HSBC and asked me for my card no and password ? They had stoped my card due to someone trying to clone but i did not trust her. sorted it out at bank, they phoned up for me !

ladybird
04-03-2010, 08:58 PM
And don't click on anything that says 'your computer is infected click here to fix it', you may as well invite a vampire into your house

David Matthews
04-03-2010, 09:08 PM
I've had emails from a few different banks, probably the same source in each case. A bit unsettling.

Nickj
04-03-2010, 10:55 PM
That's all part of the fun

I like the social engineering scams best they often have an elegance about them and an understanding of human interactions. The mail based ones are usually rubbish and I really don't know how people fall for them.

In the 80's we'd have used the term lamer for these gullible souls. Lamer exterminator was a fearsome virus and a benchmark event being the first self protective virus in the wild. It hid itself and was self encrypting, lovely bit of coding really though