PDA

View Full Version : S2R Ownership

Mr.Number
03-03-2010, 06:12 PM
For all owners of the S2R Model either 800/1000, can I ask how you have found your experience of ownership. Your views on ride enjoyment, comfort, travel (have you experience of your bike long distances or commutes, or even just weekend blasts), fuel efficiency, reliability issues causing you to put a dent in your garage door with your forehead, maintenance costs ( reasonable or not ? were they negotiable ? ), if not reasonable, is your ownership worth the overall yearly outlay. Dealerships for mechanical repairs...... good service and knowledgeable or not ?

Lastly did you ride anything else as an alternative to the bike, if so please name the bike and how it compared to the monster in the ways i have mentioned above.

Please take the time to blab on about all sorts about your experiences with the bike, it will be read with much interest.

Thankyou

Kev

Dave G
03-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Is this for anything specific or are you just curious?

Thirdway
03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Is this for anything specific or are you just curious?

bike-curious :chuckle:

desmo
03-03-2010, 10:11 PM
The 800 & the 1000 look the same, but in reality are very different bikes to ride, the 800 is the better all rounder (in my opinion) the 1000 has a heavy clutch, stiffer suspension, & a lot more excelleration.

Ride enjoyment on both bikes is fantastic.

Comfort is brilliant, I never get any aches or pains, travel/touring I just use a Baglux tank bag & backpack.

Fuel? I get about 160 miles to a tank out of both bikes.

Both bikes have been 100% reliable.

Maintenance costs? just routine servicing (I do all my own) the only extra cost over a Jap bike is the belts approx £50 every 10,000mls or 2yrs

Ownership outlay? 1x big service per year £50 to £100 depending if it needs belts etc
Insurance £160 fully comp with legal protection & protected no claims
Tax £66 per year

Dealerships, in my experience there is quite a difference is quality & standards from one dealer to another, a quick trawl on here or Ducatisi will tell you who has got a good reputation & who hasn't.

Last question, alternative bike? I have had a CBR600 / Trumph Speed Triple / ZRX1100 & 3x Fireblades to name just a few & the Monsters beat all of them hands down for enjoyment to own & ride.

Sorry to be fairly breif in my answers, but it's getting a bit late.

Desmo.

singletrack
04-03-2010, 09:49 AM
I have had 2 S2r 800s and my husband had an S2R1000- great bikes, lovely to look at and fun to ride.
The brakes on the 800 are not quite as good as those on the 1000 but the clutch is easier to live with.
the 1000 engine is a bit smoother and faster.
I personally find the riding position on the Monster a bit uncomfortable ( short body and long arms make the stretch to the bars a it far)
Alternative bikes: -

Ducati Hypermotard. Great fun, fast, easy to ride, great riding position but not a very large tank size and did I say it was great fun?
Triumph Street Triple - but doesn't look as good as the Ducati.
BMW F800R.

If you can afford it have you tried the Monster 1100? I find it a lot better to ride than the S2R, but not quite as beautiful.

Scott1
04-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi, I had an S2R 800 for a year and a half, its a great all rounder, the slipper clutch is very light, I'm about 6ft and commuting is easy and you can tour round on it quite comfortably, as well as give it some on the twisties, I would say they are deceptively quite quick.

It looks and feels great, as mentioned before, the only issue is the brakes are a bit crap. Nothing went wrong with mine except the fuel light went a bit weird and then seemed to repair itself.

I had a Honda Hornet 600 before thqt and I suspect this was just a tad quicker but completely souless went next to the Monster.

Good luck.

steeevvvooo
15-03-2010, 01:19 PM
My 2 pence worth…

I originally had an M600, mistakenly sold it, bought a Thundercat, hated it, bought an S2r 1000

Considering the Thundercat and S2R have similar power, the S2R is sooo much better! Loads of torque in any gear, comfortable (with adjustable suspension that I haven’t fiddled with yet), 100% reliable (so far in almost 9 months), I honestly can’t fault the enjoyment I get from the bike. It gets looks everywhere I go, people nod as they cross the road, I’ve had people mesmerised at the light, nothing can compare in my eyes as people see Ducati’s as premium bikes, and non bikers will stand and stare in a way they never would with a Ninja/GSXR etc :)

On the downside, the clutch is heavy on the 1000, but that’s the price to pay for a dry clutch. The rattle adds to the character and I love it. The 800 has a fancy slipper clutch which is much lighter, although I haven’t ridden one. Brakes are very good on the 1000 as well.

As for costs, apart from new clutch plates, and tyres, I haven’t spent a penny…. Errr… apart from some Carbon… a decat pipe… an end can… (the noise is addictive) :dizzy:

So apart from consumables, and noise making accessories, no expenses. Having an open clutch cover apparently helps prolong the clutch life as the dust escapes (gave me an excuse to get a nice carbon one!) so hopefully won’t need another for a while.

Servicing is the only real cost, with the belt service being every 2 years regardless of mileage (or every 12,000 miles if you get there sooner), and most people have the valves done at the same time. I did a minor service on my M600 which cost about £100 for all the bits, and I can’t see much being different on this if I wanted to do the same, although I’d rather take it to someone in the know personally. :dunce:

Sorry if anyone got bored halfway through, but hopefully I’ve sold it to you :thumbsup: