PDA

View Full Version : Vintage bikes, info / V5 help

Panther
24-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm thinking about getting vintage British bike as a second toy to plod around on. Does anyone know the rules/regs on buying a bike with out a v5;
- Can I make it road legal
- Would it be put on a 'Q' plate
- Would it need to pass the regulation of a modern MOT or from it's year.

OR should I stay well clear as it might be stolen.

The owner can provide engine and frame numbers.

Thanks for the help, I'm currently look at bikes that are twice my age!

J_Dub
24-02-2010, 02:20 PM
You can get a replacement V5 using this. http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067819.pdf

jerry
24-02-2010, 03:00 PM
My friend pete has recently restored an old Harley 45 and now is having a real battle with DVLC about re -registration he is having to get affadavits from HD factory and owners club ..not sure if he will be successful .he does not want a Q plate on a 70 year old classic.

Dave G
24-02-2010, 03:04 PM
If its an old bike its bound to have an enthusiasts club or group. Thats your best bet for getting a reg number,they can usually help with matching frame and engine numbers against a database to show age etc.

I own an ex racebike with no V5,I have its provenance from the guy who raced it from when it was imported and I dont intend to ever return it to the road so no issues for me.
Just a matter of getting enough information about it to put your mind at rest.

Saint aka ML
24-02-2010, 03:26 PM
What is that Q plate?

Panther
24-02-2010, 03:38 PM
q plates are given by the DVLA to vehicles with no numberplate, you normally find them on kit cars........

cheers for the info in V5.

uksurfer
24-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Superb info yet again, i might be trying to register a bike shortly and that has helped!!!

Julie
24-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I have a 1964 triumph and i got it with out a V5.

I took it for an MOT - based on the engine frame number - it passed!
Also you need to get insurance on it based on teh engine frame number

I sent photos of frame number and engine number off to the lovely ladies at the VMCC who dated the bike and gave me a certificate then i got a V55 from the DVLA - you have to phone and ask for it then wait 2 weeks for it to arrive.

Then fill it all in and wait..... wait.....wait..... about two weeks later they will either issue you with an age related plate and free tax OR call you and your bike in for inspection. I had to go for an inspection. I took it to the DVLA in Nottingham and they looked over it and said ok. Then 48 hours later i got all the letters and Reg number free tax and a new MOT.

Then about 2 weeks after than my V5 arrived,

Simple and easy

Julie

Julie
24-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Also - its MOT from the year

ie - My 1964 triumph has NO lights (including no brake light!)
a bulb horn

It passed easy!

big pete
24-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Q plate is indeterminate year of manufacture, if you have a frame number and a year of build you should be supplied with an age related plate but its not transferable.

gary tompkins
24-02-2010, 06:41 PM
q plates are given by the DVLA to vehicles with no numberplate, you normally find them on kit cars........

Not strictly true..

I built a kit car in 1991 and retained the original reg from donor vehicle. This was decided by a kind of points system, where you need to get a certain score to keep the original plate. As my kit used enough of original donor (engine, gearbox, suspension and rear axle) I was permitted to keep it's plate. Otherwise it would have been allocated a Q plate, or possibly a spare age related mark from the database.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

The DVLA's rules on keeping or reclaiming an original mark, or obtaining an age related plate are complicated with many grey areas. This applies to anything destined for road use, be it a bike, trike, car etc.. and also relates to vehicles imported from outside UK. There may be other factors to consider like needing to pass an MOT or SVA test.

The VMOC have a dating committee recognised by the DVLA. I would suggest contacting them and the DVLA for advice on how to proceed. Link below v v v

http://www.motorcycle-uk.com/vmcc.html

weimeranerman
24-02-2010, 07:24 PM

Or imports! I brought a little German car in from Q8 many years ago and after 6 months had to change the Arabic plate for a Q.