PDA

View Full Version : Getting your old licence back??

jimbo696
23-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I need to do a change of address on my licence; I have heard horror stories about licences being returned without a Cat A on them, due to DVLA cock ups...

Has anyone managed to get their original returned to them?? How did you inform them of your request?

Capo
23-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I think that if you do your change of address on line, the DVLA will send you a new licence, you then have two weeks to send them your old one so plenty of time to check that the new one is correct.

Gamsa
23-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Something about enclosing a SAE so they send the old one back to you with a corner clipped off if you do it by mail...

Shuffy
23-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I recently had to send my licence back to get my surname changed and there was no problem. But if you want your old licence back as proof of entitlement you MUST send a stamped address envelope and state in your letter that you want it returned. I also copied and photographed the original (for peace of mind more than anything) and put that in the letter as well. If you want the wording for the letter I'll send you a PM, but if you do all that you should be fine. Does that help?

He11cat
23-02-2010, 05:33 PM
I think they clip or punch the corner now and return if you provide a SAE.
Mine has to go back soon as address needs sorting.. although technically my house I reside elsewhere.

Could you PM me some blurb please.
I don't want to give up my tatty paper one ... sniff.. I have a paper and photocard. But the paper one is sentimental.. like when we could no longer have a Brit passport kind of sentiment .

Shuffy
23-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I think they clip or punch the corner now and return if you provide a SAE.
Mine has to go back soon as address needs sorting.. although technically my house I reside elsewhere.

Could you PM me some blurb please.
I don't want to give up my tatty paper one ... sniff.. I have a paper and photocard. But the paper one is sentimental.. like when we could no longer have a Brit passport kind of sentiment .

No problem, I'll drop you a PM tonight.

MrsJel
23-02-2010, 07:04 PM
We had to renew our photos in Jan - watch out for that one every 10 years if you have the photo id.

Sent 2 separate forms, each with an SAE - my new licence came back with the SAE enclosed; my hubby's old licence came back with a stamp all across it in the same post. 2 days later, his new licence came back. Very odd

gary tompkins
23-02-2010, 08:16 PM
I recently had to send my licence back to get my surname changed and there was no problem. But if you want your old licence back as proof of entitlement you MUST send a stamped address envelope and state in your letter that you want it returned. I also copied and photographed the original (for peace of mind more than anything) and put that in the letter as well. If you want the wording for the letter I'll send you a PM, but if you do all that you should be fine. Does that help?

Hi Chris,

My own paper licence is well past it's sell by date, and practically un-readable now. I'd rather get a new photo card licence before we go to Italy in June. Can you send me info/letter by PM for this, and how long did your replacement take to arrive?

uksurfer
23-02-2010, 08:40 PM
i just had a reminder for my photo on my licence, £20 'admin' charge, even though 3 years ago i applied for a digi card and sent them a recent picture then!
My paper licence is still in reasonable condition, i have to send it back occasionally for other reasons, never thought about copying it before, thanks for the heads up

Pedro
23-02-2010, 10:18 PM
You can change the address using a Government gateway ID on Direct.gov.uk

Or, phone them up, tell them you've forgotten your Gateway passowrd and would they be so kind to update it for you? Worked twice for me and I've never bothered sending back the old licenses - I have three now!

jimbo696
24-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks all....

MrsC_772
24-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Before you send your licence off, Motorcycle Action Group suggest you first make a subject access request under the Data Protection Act to the DVLA for all the information they currently hold on you. (Write to "Data Subject Enquiries/D9, DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL" and enclose a cheque for £5 payable to "DVLA, Swansea" or phone 01792 782397 and pay by credit or debit card). You will need to give them your address and driver number or full name and date of birth.

If DVLA sends you all the information they have (including your motorcycle entitlement) first, it will be much harder for them to argue later that you didn't have such an entitlement.

Liz
24-02-2010, 09:49 PM
I've still got my original paper licence from when I moved house in 1993 - fortunately or luckily(!) haven't ever had to send it back. Now I've moved again and I suppose I will have to update it. Do you have to have proper 'passport' photos done to renew and is there a charge for 'having' to change to a photo id?

Shuffy, can you pm me with a copy of your letter please? I've had my bike licence since 1982 and don't want to suddenly lose it!!!

jimbo696
26-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Does anyone know what the penalty is for not changing your address straight away??

JaKS
26-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Death by chocolate...

J_Dub
26-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Does anyone know what the penalty is for not changing your address straight away??

You must tell the DVLA of any change of permanent address (only applies to change of address within UK) immediately.

You must also change the address on any vehicle regisration documents that you possess.

Failure to notify these changes is a criminal offence, punishable with a fine of up to £1000.

It's on the back of your paper license!

jimbo696
26-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Ouch...that's a bit steep!!!

J_Dub
26-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Ouch...that's a bit steep!!!

Just a bit! I changed my address several years after I had moved and the DVLA didn't say anything although that was about 15 years ago. I think it would only become a real issue if you got pulled for some other offence and they could possibly throw the address issue in too.