PDA

View Full Version : Overfilled oil?

bex
20-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Er, I may have done something stupid.

Been ages since I topped up oil so had a little bit left and dumped it in earlier as it looked totally low in the view window - when I added it it didnt seem to make a difference. So I bought more and tipped a rather substantial amount in and still no difference... at which point I have realised I dunno why the oil window isnt reading what I've put in.

Anyway eventually its gone cloudy white, but I imagine I've probably overfilled. If its just a one off is this serious?

Grrr, I dunno why I just kept pouring it in without thinking 'ok this is probably enough...'

uksurfer
20-02-2010, 09:19 PM
think the oil should be warm when you check it, if your worried you might have to try to suck some out or let some out your sump plug.

rac3r
20-02-2010, 09:19 PM
OK I know this is a stupid question but I've heard of it happening before so was it on the side stand when you were checking ? :running:

bex
20-02-2010, 09:24 PM
ive checked it warm and cold, its def over filled... must have been overfilled in the first place though so now it must be drowning in the stuff after the amount i've put in.

slob
20-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Depends how over full it is. If it's way over it may cause problems, if it's just a tiny bit over it should blow it out of the breather. As uksurfer says suck some out (bit of rubber tube on syringe/meat baster etc.) Don't wory too much about the cloudy white, that's an emulsion of oil and water vapour from the air, quite common in cold weather. Oil should be checked with bike warm, upright and level.

rac3r
20-02-2010, 09:43 PM
That's what I meant. If it was on the side stand while checking then that would cause you to over fill it, I've heard of someone doing it before that's why I asked. No Offence intended :thumbsup:

Rockhopper
20-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Also depends if you were looking in the window on the right or the left of the engine!!!!

Saint aka ML
20-02-2010, 09:46 PM
I have done similar on m750. It seems there was some air bubble so stupidly I just kept on filling in and in and in. Then I just turned the engine over so it started and I killed it off ASAP. Then it was showing what is in there and it was way to much.

bex
20-02-2010, 10:01 PM
its definitely way over... is it simply bad for the bike and likely to damage something or is it really dangerous to ride it?

uksurfer
20-02-2010, 10:07 PM
personally, if it was me i would take some out, if i lent the bike over a little bit and it cleared the window i would not worry. stick a bit of pipe in there and suck it out if needed, or get one of the lads to do it before brekkie in the morning :idea:

bex
20-02-2010, 10:11 PM
yeh thats the problem I dont have the tool thing to get the spin on filter off and conveniently have no tube or anything that will do the job either...

when its ticked over and on the side stand the level drops and i can see it, but apart from that the screen is completely filled. When its upright and running glass is filled. When its cold glass is filled... the level only drops when its running and on side stand. There must be a least a whole bottle in there now.... oh dear.

i'm not sure i should ride it like that...

uksurfer
20-02-2010, 10:19 PM
try the side filter bolt to drain it out if you know where it is? should be a biggish allan key.

bex
20-02-2010, 10:20 PM
ah, maybe i was trying to do the wrong thing... i'll go attempt that now...

BluprintZ
20-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Hmm, i've done this as well Bex, bleedin' steamy window.

Not sure i would run it until the excess oil is removed, i have heard tales of oil seals blowing, although if you can see the oil when it's on the sidestand, it sounds like you may only have 1/2 ltr over.
Maybe hang-about until you have the tools to undo/syphon, or one of the lads can pop over tomoz and sort it.for you?

G ; )

bex
20-02-2010, 10:32 PM
yeh i can see it on the sidestand but only when the engine is running, when its cold its filled right up and beyond?

yep think Konan might come round in the morning with some tubing and give us a hand! thanks!!

checked, and wouldnt you know i dont have an allen key big enough for it!

uksurfer
20-02-2010, 10:36 PM
good news then! :thumbsup:

Saint aka ML
21-02-2010, 12:06 AM
If there is to much oil it can lead to hydraulic lock up which would be devastating. Imagine engine running and then one piston gets stuck ....

I see no oil at all when engine running and when on paddock stand with it off bat warm I have exactly in between low and high line where it should be. If oil fits within those two lines when engine is off and warm on even surface you are fine but in your case I would remove it.

Capo
21-02-2010, 01:30 AM
If there is to much oil it can lead to hydraulic lock up which would be devastating. Imagine engine running and then one piston gets stuck ....

Care to explain.

Saint aka ML
21-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Care to explain.

Best is this one it describbes diesel engine and water but the same principle can happen when there is to much oil. Higher pressure could lead oil to go to places it should not and if it gets to cylinder at bottom stroke... read on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

Capo
21-02-2010, 08:00 AM
I doubt that any oil could find its way into the cylinders, even if the exhaust valve guide seals were shot on the horizontal cylinder, as the fill cap is lower than the cylinder so it would overflow before it could flood the head.

The crankcase incorporates a windage tray that seperates the sump from the crankshaft, overfilling (and it would have to be very) would cause the crank to rotate through the oil throwing it into the ventilation slot, this in conjuction with the increase in crankcase pressure (as a result of displacement), would cause oil to be discharged from the breather.

jerry
21-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I have read on USA forums of instances of serious damage caused by overfilling ,seals blown ,lockups etc best drain some oil from the gauze filter.