PDA

View Full Version : Pillion suspension adjustments?

Rich750Dark
15-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi all,
Now i've been riding for nearly a year i'm coming round to the idea of getting the missus on the back for the odd day out in the sun, if it ever arrives?!

My question is, do i need to make any adjustments to the suspension to accomodate the extra weight? I know it's going to feel very different but if you make any adjustments, how much? I'm around 16st and she's around 11. Is this too much for a little ol monster? It's ok, you can call me fat!!!

Im thinking the spring needs to be wound on a bit and the tyre pressures need to go up? Any help would be great,

slob
15-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I used to put 3 1/2 turns on the preload adjuster on my 620 before taking a pillion(although a little lighter than you, the ratio of rider : pillion is probably similar) otherwise the steering felt very lazy with the extra weight on board. Taking the r/h side panel off made the job far easier, as did using a decent c-spanner. A shock with a remote preload adjuster is the easiest of all, but probably not worth the investment if it's a fairly irregular occurence.

southfrance
16-02-2010, 07:14 AM
i was told to turn the damping screw 2 clicks to the right on my 695 for a pillion.

sf

Rich750Dark
16-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Think i'll turn the suspension up a couple of turns. I've already wound it an extra 2 for my fat arse to see what happens. Another 2 or 3 should do nicely. Unfortunately, the only adjusting screw (?) has been glued so i can't adjust it, not even sure if it's an adjustment thing. Anyhoo, winding the turns should suffice.

I take it to raise the suspension i need to wind out the rose joints on the end of the wishbone/swingarm?

slob
16-02-2010, 04:00 PM
The brass screw at the bottom of the shock adjusts rebound damping, basically if the bike feels too 'bouncy' with the spring preload wound up, you'd try putting a couple of extra clicks of rebound dambing on ( >H ). Not much help if the screw won't turn on your shock though.

Rich750Dark
16-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Thought it might be something like that, best left alone me thinks! Thanks for the help!