PDA

View Full Version : Squealing relay

He11cat
15-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Got in last night to hear a dreadful noise like Ralph Harris's stylaphone from my bike.

On inspection this morning its the yellow relay by my fuse box under my seat.
Main relay?
squealing like a good un.
I have treid to wiggle it out but its quite stuck .. il use a bit of brute force later.
Just want to check first.

I take it it will need replacing again!!! I had it replaced last September!!
Not pleased.
Where would be the best place to order one and is it a case of plug in and go?

slob
15-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Karl Harrison if you live in Ipswich

He11cat
15-02-2010, 01:01 PM
My relays went last Sept .. and Karl fixed them.
The bike was dead as and RAC got me there with some blagging but won't do it again as to far!

This time its the main relay thats playing up.. its squealing.
I suspect if I start riding to Karls which I can't for at least 10 days it will die on route .. as it did another time and on the A140 not the nicest place to grind to a halt.

Last break down on a bike I had there it took me 6 hours to get recovered!!!! they left me as a lone female sat by the road (Luckily I was not on my own but they didn't know better!).
In below zero conditions 6 hours sitting in the middle of nowhere alone freezing is not an option at the moment I really don't want to risk it.

So basically If I buy another main relay and plug it in will it solve the problem?

I don't want to die of hyperthermia yet!:(

jerry
15-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Question is ...WHY are these relays failing ...something else is causing this ....BUT WHAT??????

Grumpy
15-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Hellcat, can you empty you pm box please!

He11cat
15-02-2010, 06:13 PM
ok hang on!

He11cat
15-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Ta dah!!! ...

the bikes had electrical probs in the past I noted... then again isn't that the curse of the Ducati
It died as soon as I brought it so went straight to Karl who is was really helpful and I like.
I thought it was sorted so either its rearing it ugly head again or its a new fecking problem!!!!

Grumpy
15-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Just a suggestion, but if relays keep failing it suggests that the is a fluctuation in the power supply to the unit giving it 'the wobblies' Sounds to me like the electrical system needs checking over to see if there are any anomalies present.

He11cat
15-02-2010, 07:57 PM
After my tea ... never let me be a doctor ...

Problem is in the left turn signal wire is shorting somewhere white one with a green trace ... just need to get under the handle bar switches checked a wires adrift I reckon and have been told.
Dimmy needs her hearing testing and her glasses changing!
I thought the noise was from main yellow relay! Until I touched the turn signal relay and got buzzed!

The turn signal relay was squealing.. some fun with a friend and a volt meter showed the problem two earths off the relay and worked from there.
Never let me near electrical things and maybe a few thousand volts between my ears may charge some sense into me.
Do I get a prize for being crap?? sorry :(

gary tompkins
15-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm surprised a fuse didn't pop if there was a dead short to earth?

gremlin
15-02-2010, 10:32 PM
After my tea ... never let me be a doctor ...

Problem is in the left turn signal wire is shorting somewhere white one with a green trace ... just need to get under the handle bar switches checked a wires adrift I reckon and have been told.
Dimmy needs her hearing testing and her glasses changing!
I thought the noise was from main yellow relay! Until I touched the turn signal relay and got buzzed!

The turn signal relay was squealing.. some fun with a friend and a volt meter showed the problem two earths off the relay and worked from there.
Never let me near electrical things and maybe a few thousand volts between my ears may charge some sense into me.
Do I get a prize for being crap?? sorry :(

as i said before, you have a dodgy earth, power is trying to find a path to earth and going via your indicator circuit. possibly through the dash bulb. just get a bit of wire and connect to something like a fork clamp bolt and the battery negative,and see if the problem goes. monnies suffer because the front end seems to only be earthed through the headstock bearings (which aren't sealed from the elements.) a little bit of corrosion and your earthing is lost ...........

Gamsa
16-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Earthed through the headstock bearings, gremlin! Is that a joke or are you serious? For the sake of running some black wire to a frame contact, that seems a ridiculous cost saving.

He11cat
16-02-2010, 10:37 AM
As long as it doesn't start making didgareedoo noises .....

Its gonna be fixed that noise is too much to bare lol!!!
Thank you for all the advise.. I am so crap .

I am banned from electrical things after nearly napalming a kitchen.. nuff said...

gremlin
16-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Earthed through the headstock bearings, gremlin! Is that a joke or are you serious? For the sake of running some black wire to a frame contact, that seems a ridiculous cost saving.

there have been several mentions of this before,so it would seem its not an uncommon problem, sarahs bike suffered from it.

Gamsa
17-02-2010, 06:42 AM
I'm not surprised its a not uncommon problem - that's laughable

Capo
17-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Perfectly acceptable. the neutral switch makes its circuit to earth though the selector drum and the engine casings.

Gamsa
17-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Engine casings are fine. They're bolted to the frame and do not move, but through bearings? In other words, the contact is through a set of moving balls, which wear with movement and have gaps around them which can be filled with grease(hopefully) or corrosion, to the frame. I'm not very impressed for the sake of a length of wire.

Capo
17-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I've seen a few applications that have an electrical path through the bearings, but it's all down to the current, I have also seen bearings that have been damaged due to heavy current arcing as a result of electrical welding be performed and the current path being through the bearings.

jerry
17-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Should be easy to run a seperate earth from front of bike to frame to cure this problem