PDA

View Full Version : Another Battery Problem

Scott1
14-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I think the solenoid has gone weird on my bike as it keeps turning over, even with the ignition off.

The battery is now of course very dead, I've cleaned and dried the connections round the ignition switch and the solenoid and I've borrowed a battery charger, problem is, when I started charging it the meter on the charger started at 3 and has now gone down to 0, I've never used one before but I'm suspecting this isn't right?

Any ideas...the leads are on the right way round!

skank
14-02-2010, 05:18 PM
My 750 used to do that, turned out the starter button was too tight on the handlebar...

Nickj
14-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I had a wire break, one of the three from the starter kill switch block.
It was doing this non stop starter motor thing sometimes and stopping when the bars were at full lock in one direction. I did also give the solenoid a clean at the same time which looked OK but you never can tell doesn't take much to make them misbehave.
I'd be looking at the solenoid first and the wiring and switch position a close second..

snakey
15-02-2010, 07:27 PM
take a look at the lead to the starter motor, this has been happening the last couple of winters (the other half passed her test, so have lost the car in the winter now) the little rubber cap gets full of water - then rust which then shorts out and leaves the starter turning over, even with the ignition off.

Pete.

BluprintZ
15-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Yep, i had that one as well.
Turned out to be the starter button, it had jammed sideways in the receiver.
Took me all of five seconds to suss it, have you checked the button isn't jammed?

G ; )

gary tompkins
15-02-2010, 09:50 PM
My money is on the solenoid - sounds like contacts have welded themselves closed

Replacements don't cost a lot IIRC

Scott1
19-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Amazingly the problem went away.....but, cleaned the bike today, loads of cold water to get the grit off and lo and behold, stopped on the way home to get some beers and its started again. I've got an amazing jump of the bike, undo the seat and disconnect the battery routine sorted. I think I might have to start taking a few things to bits, water may be the issue, interesting comments but it can't be that bad....famous last words.

gary tompkins
19-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I would try to sort it ASAP. If the solenoid sticks on while riding it might burn out starter motor, or damage wiring loom and LT circuit. The starter motor isn't cheap and a PITA to remove & replace.

Scott1
20-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks, good advice, I'll take it to Rosso Corse on Tuesday if its not snowing, raining cats and dogs or minus 10.