PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid law.........

dunlop0_1
10-02-2010, 08:39 AM
So i was in Hospital yesterday. No big deal just a steroid injection in my elbow. After being shown to my bed i sat and waited as you do. So then i decide to have a look at my medical record which was at the bottom of the bed. Before i had chance to read the first few pages it was taken swiftly out of my hands and followed by Mrs Hitler barking,
" Excuse me, that is against the law. If you wish to few your medical record you have to apply for permission and pay a £15.00 fee".

It's MY feckin record........ Any nurse or doctor can have a look anytime and compare notes, but me see it oh no. God forbid what I might discover. :banghead:

Rant over.

J.P
10-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Feking stupid law. I'd have shuved it where the sun don't shine

bex
10-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Thats one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Student nurses etc on placement can read your notes too, not that that they shouldn't, but I think its bizarre that you cant read your own, terrible in fact, what they hiding!?

bigfiretruck
10-02-2010, 09:05 AM
just to let you know..... if it is at the end of your bed they CAN'T stop you from reading your notes. unless they need them. whereas if they are behind their desk they CAN stop you :)

buzzbomb
10-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Two thought's come to mind : Ignorance is Bliss.

or : Are we being treated like mushrooms, ie: Kept in the dark and feed on Bullsh*t.

Scootaboy
10-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Im with bigfiretruck - she was blagging it

uksurfer
10-02-2010, 10:52 AM
you should have picked it up and then pretended to write stuff on them, that would get you out a bit earlier!

jerry
10-02-2010, 12:56 PM
she is lying .....another jobsworth arsehole.....i checked my medical records a few years ago and they were wrong, apparently i was a registered drug addict with jaundice and HIV ,,,,all wrong they had to amend my record and pay me compensation mind u they had blanked out whole sections as well so i dont believe i got all the records....I no longer trust the NHS due to that..and i am not the only person I know to have found faults like that on medical records,

CK & AK
10-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Under the freedom of information act, you DO have a right to see the notes about yourself, but you 'might' have to put in a request for this to happen.
You can also request to see your childs notes if you are their legal guardian, but you cannot see your partners or parents notes nor any other adult who lives with you, unless you have a legal right (eg, power of attorney etc)
You can also request to see your medical notes at the doctors too, giving due notice.
There is no fee - unless you are having the benefit of private healthcare.
Its not something the healthcare profession promote & is something they are very quick to hinder you in.

HTH

CK

He11cat
10-02-2010, 02:02 PM
next time grab it and sit on it... what records ?? oh some nurse took em..
Then dash to the loo lock the door and have a read lol!

MrsC_772
10-02-2010, 08:50 PM
I agree she was trying it on - a little knowledge proving a dangerous thing when combined with a jobsworthy attitude.

It's actually the Data Protection Act not the Freedom of Information Act which would give you the right to see your medical records.

A "subject access request" normally has to be made in writing. They can (but need not) charge for copying and posting records to you (up to £10 for computer records, £50 for paper ones).

The Information Commissioner's website has some information (http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/health.aspx).

There a more detailed guide on the Department of Health website: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorganisation/Informationpolicy/Patientconfidentialityandcaldicottguardians/FAQ/DH_065886

Gamsa
10-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Very nice, MrsC. It's good to have some quality legal advice from a reliable source around here!