PDA

View Full Version : battery chargers

Gamsa
09-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi all, I left a battery trickle charger on my bike for a month (I know I haven't been riding enough, but it's been off the road with shock replacement and oil leak issues needing sorting). Now I come back, four of the cells are totally dry. I've tried filling them with de-ionized water but no surprise that the battery won't charge up.

Anyone else had something like this happen? I'm guessing the trickle charger has boiled the battery dry! No obvious cracks or leaks in the body of the battery. I'm thinking that I'll just turn on the charger once in a while to charge the new battery up but leave it off most of the time. That's not why I bought it though and it is a pretty expensive bit of kit...

uksurfer
09-02-2010, 06:15 PM
get an optimate thingy, i got one of those and it does the job, i have also got a solar powered one for the summer to try!

JaKS
09-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Many years ago, I suffered the same fate!
Treat yourself to an Optimate or something very similar.
A trickle charger will do just that, charge continuously, whilst what you realy need is a battery conditioner, an Optmimate.

Hope this helps.

Gilps
09-02-2010, 07:27 PM
CTEK XS3600 is the way to go.

gary tompkins
09-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi all, I left a battery trickle charger on my bike for a month (I know I haven't been riding enough, but it's been off the road with shock replacement and oil leak issues needing sorting). Now I come back, four of the cells are totally dry. I've tried filling them with de-ionized water but no surprise that the battery won't charge up.

Anyone else had something like this happen? I'm guessing the trickle charger has boiled the battery dry! No obvious cracks or leaks in the body of the battery. I'm thinking that I'll just turn on the charger once in a while to charge the new battery up but leave it off most of the time. That's not why I bought it though and it is a pretty expensive bit of kit...

Err.. that would = one fooked battery then

Like others said a good quality tender (optimate 4 etc..) shouldn't overcharge like that

buzzbomb
10-02-2010, 02:53 AM
Thanks Gilps for pointing me towards a ctek 3600, I bought two last week from the ebay seller at £40 each plus postage, top tip.

Gamsa
10-02-2010, 08:57 PM
I was using an Oxford Optimax, which I thought would do the job. I'm quite tempted to take it back and ask for a refund for it and the cost of the replacement battery. Unlikely to get anywhere though, I suppose.

rich321
25-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Just had same thing happen to me. Using an Oxford Optimate, it has boiled battery dry and both it and battery knacked, solution new battery and new charger/conditioner! The old optimate worked fine for 3/4 years !! Sounds like your Optimate was faulty - take it back if it is less than 2 years old.