PDA

View Full Version : Speed cam question

bex
02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
If, theoretically speaking :look:, one was to somehow flash the camera on the other side of the road, can one still be taken to the cleaners and done for it?

gregski
02-02-2010, 10:28 AM
"other side of the road" if you mean from the front then haw they can trace you ??

there is no number plate in the front

LouSCannon
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Happened to me a few times, never had anything through but I may have been lucky.

Don't know what the formal thinking behind it is though.

Capo
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
I am given to belive that there has never been a prosecution in such circumstances.

Stafford
02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
If you repeatedly do it at the same camera you may find they'll take the time to trace you or hang around and pull you if you fit the description. They was a guy who used to pull wheelies past one and wore a distinctive crash helmet, he got busted.

LVC
02-02-2010, 10:54 AM
If, theoretically speaking :look:, one was to somehow flash the camera on the other side of the road, can one still be taken to the cleaners and done for it?

Guess I misread that as it seemed to me that it was you who flashed the camera :eyepopping: if so can we see the piccy please :biggrin:

bigfiretruck
02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
lol if your going fowards how can they prove how fast you could have been going unless there are lines on both sides??

bex
02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
hmm, well, technically they could easily do it by description - I go past that same camera on the side of the road its actually on as often as I go past on the other side. Sounds like I should be fine though.

Teach me for riding like an arsehole I suppose...

Snips
02-02-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm intrigued to know how the camera would be triggered (assuming it was a GATSO).

Don't they track the speed of vehicles moving away from the camera - focusing on the same side as the road as the camera?

It's possible that when there's no vehicle on the same side of the road, it could instead monitor the oncoming traffic, but I didn't think they did (wouldn't it be a hazard to flash into the driver's eyes?).

Anyway, good luck, and ride safe.

LVC
02-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Most French speed cameras around Le Mans are face on flashers - so us bikers get away with it and yes the flash can be off putting :mand:

Capo
02-02-2010, 07:46 PM
They are based on the doppler effect and apparently they cannot distinguish beween and approaching or receding moving object.
The radar beem is narrow with sharp cutoffs, the camera head is adjusted to occlude advancing traffic in the other lane.

There is one near me that flashed me when I overtook a car, the one on the A605 was out of adjustment for a while and reguarly flashed oncoming vehicles.

The truvelo uses an infra red flash is foward facing and is triggered by a pezioelectric strip buried in the road. I noticed that several of these cameras in Lincolnshire have the strip accross both lanes, and wonder if these can get you comming or going.

ryanhorton1973
02-02-2010, 08:14 PM
The speed camera on the A20 into London used to go off regularly when I was travelling in the opposite direction to way the camera was facing (i.e. on the other side of the road)
As soon as I realised this I would often drive close to the outside of the lane and trigger the camera almost every night on my way home. I never recieved any tickets or warnings as if there was any film in the camera most of the time it would taking a picture of an empty road! Hope this helps.

Saint aka ML
02-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Make sure your tax disc is off or on right side and you should be fine if with in reason.

On the flash blinding note.

In Poland there is a law stating how bright can the forward facing lights be. It is illegal to have anything more then said limit as it might blind oncoming traffic. That goes towards any lights, flashlights, bicycle lights, car, gatso cameras or even street lamps. Guess what some smart as used that rule to try to stop usage of all gatsos. The flash is much stronger then road lights and is blinding oncoming traffic. There is a case in court to stop usage of gatsos until law changes or they use less powerful flash. Law will not change as that would mean you could mount much stronger lights in a car.

gary tompkins
02-02-2010, 09:36 PM
If it's a standard type 24 gatso (the usual kind) then no, only vehicles going away from the camera can be caught. The TruVelo camera is a forward facing design - with infa red flash. It's also triggered by strips buried in the road (inductive loops) to detect speed rather than radar. Both types can be rotated to detect vehicles approaching from the opposite direction.

Nickj
02-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I pass two 24's to-ing anf fro-ing to work and you can trip them from the opposite side of the road. Sometimes if you time it right you can trip them on an unsuspecting car, it is a bit of a fine art tho ;)

STIVH
03-02-2010, 11:25 AM
As an aside what if you were traveling on the wrong side of the road ie camera side could you get done as you are then on the stretch of road being monitored?
Has it not got something to do with the road markings too as these have to be spaced correctly and clearly painted for the ticket to stand?

We have a local road where the camera always flashed you which had the visible duel markings on both sides however when it flashed (either in my van or on the bike) I was level and traveling towards the back of the camera, so as suggested before it's just taken a photo of an empty road?