PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Tank Bag/Luggage Question

Pistuphead
27-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Hello

After the tour of France last year with a dufflebag strapped to the back of the monster I think I'll get some proper luggage this year for a two week tour around Italy. There's a set of Oxford First Time luggage on the auction site for £100 includes tailpack, panniers and magnetic tankbag, seems pretty good value, only thing is I'm worried that the tank bag won't fit the tank properly and also that it might scratch, does anyone have any experience of this or advice?

Cheers

Pomp1
27-01-2010, 11:38 PM
As someone else here has discovered when buying magnetic stuff, make sure you've got a steel tank first:rolleyes:

Redkite
28-01-2010, 08:28 PM
wrong post!

Albie
28-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Some advice. If you want all the other gear that lot seems a fair price. Check out Argos as they now sell oxford stuff in catalogue. Tank bags generally have a soft underbelly but I also put some anti slip matting under mine. I got mine from Aldi a few years ago for £18 and very good and still as new. Now I have a plastic tank I have adapted to straps and is fine.

Robert dyas sells the grip mat in rolls btw.

J.P
29-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Just been in Maplin's and the grip matting is £5

boyse7en
02-03-2010, 10:55 AM
I've got an Oxford tank bag, and an Alpinestars one, and both stay on fine with the magnets (they each have a 'safety strap' that clips around the handlebars) when reasonably loaded.

The Oxford one is pretty big and clunky looking - but does have a good capacity. Alpinestars is much better made and looks more racy, but doesn't hold a great deal and was much more expensive.

jerry
02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
LIDL bag is brilliant for £18 i have used it in Thailand ,UK and EU for 2 years