PDA

View Full Version : Rattling Floating Discs

Mark Taylor
24-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Hi Guys, I removed my front wheel yesterday (to seal a slow puncture) and found quite a lot of radial movement in my front brake discs - perhaps due to potholes and ham-fisted wheelies! they rattle if you try to rotate them, does anyone know if the rivets that hold the discs to the carriers can be replaced and how do you remove the rivets? Cheers in advance - Mark.

Pedro
24-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Wouldn't be too concerned unless the brakes vibrate or shudder when applied

Pomp1
24-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I think if you remove the circlip and the rivets so to make them fully floating that is considered an MOT failure, so be careful.

Mark Taylor
25-01-2010, 04:21 PM
The brakes don't judder or vibrate but the discs do rattle a bit going over potholes or when the front comes crashing down - I'm still working on the landings - work in progress! Not to worry then, just being over cautious. Cheers - Mark.

Gilps
25-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Are you sure they are not fully floating discs as they do rattle. It's unusual to see the semi floating ones rattling. It's usually the other way round when the bobbins seize up and don't allow any movement.

jerry
26-01-2010, 01:00 AM
I converted my S4 discs to full floating by bashing the rivets with a big hammer and yes they rattle like hell but they work well.

Mark Taylor
04-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Update - I went to see Neil at Cornerspeed the other day & he says either the disc or the carrier is knackered! Anybody got a spare front brake disc? - the type with spokes on the carrier not holes please? Cheers - Mark.