PDA

View Full Version : Trackdays & cored cans

bigredduke
21-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I notice that many trackdays impose 105db limits. My S4R is fitted with standard (but) cored cans. Does anyone have:
a) any idea how loud these might be?:scratch:
b) trackday experiences with cored cans ( I'm thinking J.P.'s 'No Limits' Cadwell day later this year)?
c) How I could get them tested in advance to avoid being rejected on the day?:grump:

JMo
21-01-2010, 07:11 PM
105dB is pretty loud! - I'd say you'll be fine... just don't rev it too hard in the paddock!

xxx

LouSCannon
21-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Find someone with an iPhone and use the app Decibel. It's not 100% accurate, but measured my old 695 at 94db, and at the track it was measured as 96db, so it's good enough to give you an idea... although it has got an upper limit of 105db! :)

Jim66a
21-01-2010, 07:53 PM
just remember that, because the decibel scale is logarithmic, a doubling in sound level does not double the number of decibels recorded. The logarithm of two is 0.3, so each time the sound level doubles, which means it is multiplied by two, the decibels increase by three dB.

J.P
22-01-2010, 07:15 AM
The only real way Paul is either to drop into a local garage that might have one and do you a favour and test it. All the track days I've done were tested at 5,000 rpm, or just below if you can sneak it. Gotta to be gentle increasing it from 4,000 up to 5,000 rpm which is better than banging it up to 5,500 and back down.

Mine are bang on 105 db, but I always take my baffles just in case the testing equipment is more sensitive. They're fairly black & white with the pass fail.

You could always do what I did and get a bloke to make up some changeable baffles for you, cost me £35 and takes all the worries away. And remember some tracks are 102 db's and evening track time usually drops to 98 db's....

PDL
22-01-2010, 07:56 AM
How far away are you from your nearest track, ride over and get them tested when a track day is on.

slob
22-01-2010, 08:44 AM
My 620 with hi-level open Termis was measured at 101dB @6K revs last time we went to Cadwell.

bigredduke
22-01-2010, 10:02 AM
How far away are you from your nearest track, ride over and get them tested when a track day is on.

That's a good idea:idea: No Limits have quite a few dates listed for Cadwell which is only about one hours ride away. Hopefully, once they have tested all the entrants for that day they may have a few moments to test mine, especially if I tell them I am considering joining them later in the year.