PDA

View Full Version : Average speed cameras to be put on the A13...CNUTS

Scootaboy
18-01-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23796504-london-gets-first-urban-average-speed-cameras.do

I'm not one of these people who relish doing stupid speeds all the time, ESPECIALLY in urban areas. I dont think it's my god given right to break laws that dont suit me just because I obey most other laws...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

For the first time ever, they're installing average speed cameras in an urban area, on my freaking stretch of the A13!!!

For those who dont know, its a dual carriageway that in non rush hour is relatively traffic free, in evening rush hour is often congested and in the morning rush hour is not too bad at all.

Basically I may be better off switching back to a vespa. There's little point having a motorbike when you're limited like this...I cant believe that this is happening!!!!

damn...

He11cat
18-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I hate those cams... you spend more time checking your speed then checking the road ..thats if you have not fallen asleep with boredom or gone up the arse of some numpty who has bombed it along then thinks ohh il go really slow now to counteract my over the limit speed.

Loads out by Cambridge before I used to go up A1 .. was the worst part of a 4 and half hour ride.
Quite often I'd get so bored id stop at Little chef for caffine before I exsploded with rage.

as the saying goes greed camera's.

loads on the Dartford crossing as well now .. which they keep switching on and off ... hardly Brands hatch there is it ffs.

Saint aka ML
18-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Well I think they take picture from front for now.

Also just before last one stop for a fag ;)

Capo
18-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Use the back roads its more fun

Scootaboy
18-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Use the back roads its more fun

er...you ever been to east london? ;)

Scootaboy
18-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Well I think they take picture from front for now.

Also just before last one stop for a fag ;)

someone else said that...if its true then panic over - that stretch will go from 5 cameras to 0 :)

slob
18-01-2010, 03:03 PM
From A13/A406 come down past City Airport and onto Limehouse Link...definitely more fun than A13.
Won't make much difference in the long run, 10 years and average speed cameras will be rear facing and everywhere I expect.

Scootaboy
18-01-2010, 03:20 PM
From A13/A406 come down past City Airport and onto Limehouse Link...definitely more fun than A13.
Won't make much difference in the long run, 10 years and average speed cameras will be rear facing and everywhere I expect.

I normally just do the A13 until I get to the link (and go through it)

Are you saying you can go through docklands quicker?

kneedown
18-01-2010, 03:31 PM
to be honest if it is a build up area and you speed you have no one to blame ;it is another matter on open country road imho

Scootaboy
18-01-2010, 03:33 PM
to be honest if it is a build up area and you speed you have no one to blame ;it is another matter on open country road imho

nah its a 3 lane dual carriageway

Zimbo
18-01-2010, 03:36 PM
The average speed cameras (SPECS) do indeed only register the vehicle front numberplate, and are therefore ineffectual against bikes. They also don't like funny fonts, or numberplates with the digits on two lines rather than one.

kneedown
18-01-2010, 03:38 PM
right well i used to use m25 you know nearly every bridge has a camera might be on might not but if you are going to sail by at say 90 95 you are going to get nicked 'that is not to say i enjoy being stuck at slower speed just glad in 30 odd years never had a point

slob
18-01-2010, 04:01 PM
not quicker but more fun... can't be more than 5 minutes in it though

Scootaboy
18-01-2010, 04:18 PM
just checked out their website and this A13 specific animation - it really does seem to be front facing...I'm not complaining but thats amazingly bad design :):):)

http://www.redspeed-int.com/images/products/RedFusion-02.swf

uksurfer
18-01-2010, 04:21 PM
i think all the one's i've seen are facing you, just be careful that your tax disc is hidden/obscured
(or put it on the offside)

slob
18-01-2010, 04:22 PM
If you were setting up a major cash gathering scheme...
would you rather miss the odd motorcycle (1 in 200 vehicles?) or have car drivers' faces on film to back up recorded reg numbers in your demands for money?

I know 2 wheeled road users have long been minority legislation victims but face it... it's all about the money.

Saint aka ML
18-01-2010, 04:30 PM
i think all the one's i've seen are facing you, just be careful that your tax disc is hidden/obscured
(or put it on the offside)

Or do what I do have it ..... in you wallet.

just checked out their website and this A13 specific animation - it really does seem to be front facing...I'm not complaining but thats amazingly bad design :):):)

The average speed cameras (SPECS) do indeed only register the vehicle front numberplate, and are therefore ineffectual against bikes. They also don't like funny fonts, or numberplates with the digits on two lines rather than one.

Just a little note for that. If you take a **** they might decide to investigate and use CCTV.
You might also get a vengeful car driver that will call the plod on you.
The plod in unmarked car is not new but also an option.

There are those cameras fitted before entering black wall tunnel. Well as for now I do not take notice at all.

southfrance
18-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Interesting, here in France most of the speed cameras are front facing, won't be long before Brussels introduces the Front number plate for bikes.

SF

Nickj
18-01-2010, 06:48 PM
You may remember an earlier rant I had about the ammount of money that's going into these cameras in and around the Thames valley plus the huge backend tracking system that aims to link up as many of the rest of the systems UK wide.
It'll end up with us being tracked from door step to destination, and well before the 10 years Slob thinks.
Of course it's all for safety and crime prevention, remember it is trapping a massive number of criminals & terrorists... hmmmmm OK if you say so.
We are heading towards being the most monitored and surveilled country in the world very rapidly and have no say in it which is to put it mildly a bit scarey

gremlin
18-01-2010, 11:57 PM
You may remember an earlier rant I had about the ammount of money that's going into these cameras in and around the Thames valley plus the huge backend tracking system that aims to link up as many of the rest of the systems UK wide.
It'll end up with us being tracked from door step to destination, and well before the 10 years Slob thinks.
Of course it's all for safety and crime prevention, remember it is trapping a massive number of criminals & terrorists... hmmmmm OK if you say so.
We are heading towards being the most monitored and surveilled country in the world very rapidly and have no say in it which is to put it mildly a bit scarey

We already are the most watched even the Russians think it's ott.:mad: There was talk of having average speed cameras around the coast and broads area of Norfolk which will be a total nightmare, how can you keep your eye on your speedo and watch out for gravel, bends, numpty tourists, mud, old duffers, live animals, dead animals, potholes, droppings from cows and horses .:banghead: I guess those with one eye lookin at you and one looking for you will be fine!:mand:

jerry
19-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Use foreign plates ...American plates are best, my mate Si has done it for 18 years with no problem in Sussex ....where are those Thai plates for my luggage bag when I come back to UK.