PDA

View Full Version : Kent WDW 2010 - planning thread (keep on topic please)

gary tompkins
12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Taking the hint from Stuart42's thread here..

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=35893&highlight=WDW

and spurred on by J.P's thread yesterday..

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=36090&highlight=WDW

I think it's important for the Kent & south east section to get planning. A lot of people jumped into say they were up for this a few weeks back, when Albie posted up about the WDW event. What I'd like to know is how many of you actually still want to go, given costs and other factors outlined by J.P?

A definite show of hands now would help - as it impossible to plan otherwise. Hotels around the WDW venue are sure to get booked up, so it makes sense to get cracking. Also better discounts for crossings (ferry or otherwise), can usually be obtained by pre-booking early. I think a big group could be difficult to manage, and would prefer to travel in a smaller group if possible. I often get held up by traffic on trike, so unless I'm leading it's harder to stay with the group anyway. This is one of the reasons I've invested in the Tom Tom, so I can still find my way around independantly. I'm personally planning to take at least 10 days for this event, just so I can spread the mileage out and enjoy the trip to the max.

So....

Please copy/paste your name to post #2 below if planning on going

and feel free to add other (on topic) posts below that

gary tompkins
12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
YES.. I am going to WDW2010

GT

Pomp1
12-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm game too, thought I'll be traveling in a van. Plan is to leave on the tuesday morning, down to the ring by early noon, then onto the B500, couple of runs of that in the evening (being June, shouldn't be too bad..) following day leave early morning for Davos, run the Stelvio via Bormio and back, load the bike up by afternoon and on my way to Varese by nightfall. Thursday morning leave for Bologna, unload the bike and go for lunch in Florence via Passo della Futa (got to do it !), back to Bologna in the evening and into Misano by early night. The main events won't start till the Friday anyway. As GT I'm planning this over 10 days, so probably back in the UK by Wednesday 16th eve.
Details of the route here: Pomp1 route plan (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=calais&daddr=N%C3%BCrburgring,+Rheinland-Pfalz,+Germany+to:baden+baden+to:freudenstadt+to:d avos+to:bormio+to:stelvio+to:varese+to:bologna+to: Via+Nazionale%2FSP65+to:SS65+to:bologna+to:misano+ adriatico&hl=en&geocode=FWKOCQMdYkQcAClj4_HXdT_cRzH0edKM4Nm-rA%3BFZo6AAMdi1JqACkZ_zE3KVO-RzE1Rofk6iY9bw%3BFfgD6AIdsLp9AClFMfeRQx-XRzHBxfMzGSkPYw%3BFb974wIdEVyAAClZMPyhADSXRzEAV9-lt2sfBA%3BFZ4tygIdNxmWACnbey7fEKGERzEALRlAiP8ABA%3 BFRYKxQIdTlueACn3AV40WwWDRzFQ7GYuAngGBA%3BFTwExgId _nKfACnjophogOiCRzGgEXoOiAkHDw%3BFQUfuwIdEK6GACmZg MNiJ36GRzHeDwOPm9Lw9A%3BFYvtpgIdMiKtACmVmy6-m9R_RzFBOWB2eDJt3A%3BFcQ_pAIdwu-sAA%3BFXrcnAId4j6sAA%3BFYvtpgIdMiKtACmVmy6-m9R_RzFBOWB2eDJt3A%3BFeQTnwId1rjBACnlCZxaA-csEzEQc7z8C5sHBA&mra=ls&via=9&doflg=ptm&sll=47.495795,7.26601&sspn=8.149409,14.963379&ie=UTF8&z=6)
As said I'll be in a van, so preserving the bike for the roads that really interest me and I'll be able to take spares as support vehicle and some of you guys luggage.
I've got room for one other bike in it and I'll be able to sort out a comfortable accommodation for the stay in Varese if anyone else is interested in sharing the van (or if someone just wants to fly down).

GT
Pomp1

Gadget
13-01-2010, 04:58 AM

GT
Pomp1
Gadget

J.P
13-01-2010, 08:06 AM

GT
Pomp1
Gadget
J.P

BigOz
14-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi,

I'm not so sure now, especially if the trip mentioned last time at the Oakdene to Bologna goes ahead. Especially as I have spent a chunk on shiny bits to keep me busy this winter.

Andy

ladybird
19-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I will be reconfirming my pass this weekend, there was a change of opinion between Friday and Monday.

jimbo696
20-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes I am definitely going.....(plus my mate from Ducatisti)

ladybird
20-01-2010, 09:54 AM

GT
Pomp1
Gadget
J.P
Ladybird

ladybird
20-01-2010, 01:40 PM
I bought the European maps for my tomtom when we went to Belgium last.

gary tompkins
20-01-2010, 11:31 PM

GT
Pomp1
Gadget
J.P
Ladybird
jimbo696 + mate

ladybird
22-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Boat
Ladybird

Train

Gadget
22-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Boat
Ladybird

Train

Cheapest :rolleyes:

gary tompkins
23-01-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll travel by ferry

Wasn't impressed with Eurotunnel in September '09 TBH

Gadget
23-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I prefer going by ferry. It breaks the journey nicely. You can also get breakfast.

ladybird
26-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Are we going with Pomp1's route or does anyone else have a preference?
Is it going to be easiest to decide on checkpoints/hotels en route?
I will be in the leisurely pace group :)

Throw in a trip to Holland on the way out/home?

Pomp1
26-01-2010, 01:50 PM
If you're going by bike and you just want to shoot down the event (not what I would consider being the best option, as I'd rather take an extra day to get there but have fun on my way..) my route isn't the best one, as it has some flaws:
-isn't the quickest/shortest
-goes through Switzerland, not the friendliest place for bikes (some mates last year got fined 500 francs for his open termis) and you'll need to make a one-off payment of around 30 francs to use their motorway network.
-I'm going about 300 km off-route on my way to see family/friends (that's why I'm going back up to Milan)
The upside of the route are that I'll be doing Nurburgring, B500 and Stelvio Pass on my way there (and the Futa, where Ducatis get tested!) and I will not pay toll roads up to the moment I hit Italy (I will get the swiss pass sent over from my parents nearer the time as they live close to Switzerland and go there very often, hence they own one..)
Of course after the Stelvio you can cut down to Trento, take the E45 to Modena (no toll on this road) and that will only leave you with a toll road (A1) between Modena and Bologna ( a fair estimate would be around a fiver..)like so.. (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Bormio+SO,+Italy&geocode=FRYKxQIdTlueACn3AV40WwWDRzFQ7GYuAngGBA%3BF eQTnwId1rjBACnlCZxaA-csEzEQc7z8C5sHBA&dirflg=&daddr=misano+adriatico&f=d&hl=en&sll=46.483738,10.37796&sspn=0.271385,0.467606&ie=UTF8&ll=45.274886,11.167603&spn=2.218842,3.740845&z=8)
Another upside is that you'll know I'm around that area so if anyone needs some help/needs some extra luggage taken down I'll be more than happy to help.
PS I'm going to book a place on the 8ish ferry Dover-Calais on Tue. 8th, anyone else going?

ladybird
26-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Ok, I have open pipes and don't fancy paying even more road tax ;)
So maybe not a trip through Switzerland then.

The B500 is the Black Forest?
I do like a bit of cake (sorry, off topic, this is not a cake thread).

What is the Stelvio Pass like?

Pomp1
26-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Ok, I have open pipes and don't fancy paying even more road tax ;)
So maybe not a trip through Switzerland then.
Only if you use the Motorway and, if you're planning 1K miles each way, I suggest you use DB Killers anyway

The B500 is the Black Forest?
I do like a bit of cake (sorry, off topic, this is not a cake thread).
Yep, Baden Baden is in the Black Forest, and I'll join you for a slice or two..:mand:

What is the Stelvio Pass like?
Glorious, probably one of the best 3/4 roads in continental Europe, do a quick search and see it for yourself!

ladybird
26-01-2010, 03:47 PM
I have found a hotel in the Stelvio Pass (about half way through), that has large family rooms and indoor parking, it also has rooms available for the 9th.
They have not shoo'd me away when I mentioned several motorbikes :)

J.P
26-01-2010, 07:24 PM
don't stay in the middle. Stay in Bormio, gives your more options for your stay and for your route

gary tompkins
26-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I was considering staying in France for more of the outward journey. Keeping west of the border via places like Reims, Dijon, Lyon and hooking under Switzerland into Italy.

What would be your thoughts on a route like this J.P?

ladybird
26-01-2010, 11:28 PM
http://www.hotelthurwieser.it/how_to_reach_us.htm

hadn't got much further than asking about avaliability
am open to suggestions on how to get there :)
was thinking of an extra stop overnight somewhere before this point
quite happy to go either side of Switzerland
pomp1 suggestion of cake sounded good
would likely mean a stop there or Belgium ?

Anyway, no firm plans as yet
thinking of leaving Monday morning rather than Sunday
depends on cheapness

Think it might be an idea to pick a place or two to gather at en route and allow time to get there at whatever pace suits ( although first to arrive should have to get a round in ;) )

thought would be an idea to get the ball rolling a bit :D

ladybird
26-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Obviously there is also the return journey to cater for as well

J.P
27-01-2010, 07:12 AM
What would be your thoughts on a route like this J.P?

I've done that one a few times now. Nice and easy through France on the motorways which give you the chance to get some of the miles under your belt, because it's along way anyway.
Getting to Lyon is a very good days travel of 474 miles from Calais. You might want to stop nearer to Dijon. After Lyon I've travelled down to Grenoble and then through the mountains to Torino or a bit further South to Gap ? and then you can pick your route through Italy. Or Dijon, down to Geneva and onto Italy through the Mont-Blanc Tunnel which is a very nice route through all the mountains, even on the motorway.

The advantage of going those ways is that you have a little more motorway rather than threading your way through the tighter roads in Switzerland & dropping from Switzerland and into the Dolomites in Italy, which is fantastic but 250-300 miles in a day is very tough and that's what's more likely going that way, though more dramatic.
All in all it's a different week or two's holiday, trying to do all that and going on to Misano is probably just too much to ask of yourself is you've never done it before.

Calais to Dijon, 356 miles.
Dijon to Torino, 312 miles.
Torino to Misano 291 miles.

Those are too bad at all and give you plenty of lee-way to find nice rountes along the way and a little more miles is you like..

:)

gary tompkins
27-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback J.P.

I was planning on leaving Sunday or Monday at the latest, to allow more travelling time to Misano than the 3 you allowed for. The Calais to Dijon, 356 miles leg is a bit more than I fancied in a day TBH. Done that distance a few times on the trike in the UK, and it really knackerd me. If I could keep it just under the 300 mark I'd be far happier. I think 4 days for outward trip should give me distances I can cope with.

From what others have said the WDW won't kick off much before Friday anyway

ladybird
28-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Dover - Calais
Latest check-in Sun 06 Jun 2010 07:00
Sailing time Sun 06 Jun 2010 07:30

Calais - Dover
Latest check-in Sat 19 Jun 2010 17:10
Sailing time Sat 19 Jun 2010 17:40

================================================== (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showpost.php?p=337755)

Ladybird
Gadget

ladybird
05-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I went to the travel show at Earls court yesterday with my dad and tried to pick up a few bits of information and free maps.

In Switzerland you only have to pay for some roads and tunnels and bridges.
map (http://www.autobahnen.ch/images/vignette_required.jpg)
webpage (http://www.autobahnen.ch/index.php?lg=001&page=014)
I have a mountains and lakes guide and a map.

I confused the guy from loveitaly (http://loveitaly.co.uk/) partly because he was Italian and didn't seem to do English that well.
I managed to get a map of the central area (which isn't so useful).

No one was there to represent trips to France or Germany.

I don't know if the information changes plans?

J.P
05-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Google Maps is fantastic for planning. Gives you all you need

ladybird
05-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Google Maps is fantastic for planning. Gives you all you need

I know I live on the internet but I still don't like to rely on one source of information and there is something nice about paper maps.
I had a day out with my dad and thought would take the opportunity to speak to people.

gary tompkins
13-02-2010, 11:31 AM
My ferry now booked - details posted here

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showpost.php?p=339380&postcount=15

We need to get our heads together to thrash out WDW trip details. Routes, accomodation etc. need to be planned and booked ASAP. Maybe we can arrange a pub or house meet somewhere in the Kent area.. any suggestions? I don't think it'll be easy to co-ordinate & discuss everthing online, via PM's or dedicated posts

skank
14-02-2010, 05:21 PM
happy to go along with what ever is decided, just keen to do this :D

Grumpy
14-02-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm more than willing to turn out for a meet up ( can it be somewhere near dartford, as I live in north essex?)
I've been to 2 WDW events and have been to Italy many times by bike and car, so can hopefully pass on some of my knowledge.
I can also bring paper maps ( as per Ladybird suggested) to 'mull' over.
GT, if you give me a date (a wks notice would be good) i'll see you guys there.

Gadget
14-02-2010, 07:15 PM
The Pied Bull in Farningham is a biker friendly Pub.
It is off the A20 about 5 minutes from the M25.

Grumpy
14-02-2010, 07:57 PM
The Pied Bull in Farningham is a biker friendly Pub.
It is off the A20 about 5 minutes from the M25.

Sounds good to me.

Stuart42
15-02-2010, 06:54 AM
If I can I'd like to come along to meet?

Think we need to sort a route then get looking for some accom. Not sure if we could just roll up, especially with a group, and get rooms ad hoc?

Cheers
Stuart

Grumpy
15-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Depends on the size of the group! I have been abroad in a group as large as 12 bikes and15 people, we did find accommodation all under one roof, but it was rather cosy!
I would suggest that we all meet up and discuss our plans/ route/preferences.
I could make this sat evening at the pub mentioned by Gadget, hows every one else set?

gary tompkins
15-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Saturday at the Bull is a possibility for me - it can get very busy there at weekends though

Anyone else available?

BTW Stuart - I appreciate you wanna to be in on meet, but it's a hell of a hike to travel in from Andover. Maybe you could email me a 'wish list' prior to meet, and we can discuss on the night and let you have feedback afterwards. Drop me a PM for my email address if you think this is a good idea?

Same goes for anyone else outside Kent area (Stafford for example) that have an input on WDW trip

Pomp1
16-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I won't be there as I work weekends:thumbsdown: but I'm sure you guys will make wiser decisions without me :biggrin:. I'm waiting to hear back from the lady that is organizing the stay in Cattolica for most of the Ducati Clubs, as they require a document which is only issued in Italy and they want an IBAN transfer and that can be costly if is multiplied by all those interested, so I've expressed my concerns to her and see what can be worked out..

Gadget
16-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Most nights are good for me, including this Saturday.
I am working during the day on Saturday but should get finished in plenty of time.

Grumpy
16-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Lets go for saturday then, say 7pm?

Gadget
16-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Okay.
See you there.

ladybird
17-02-2010, 10:35 AM
I can manage Saturday as well I think.

gary tompkins
17-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Will see you all in the pub at 7pm

skank
18-02-2010, 07:29 AM
sorry guys, cant make it but take some minutes for me :D

steeevvvooo
24-03-2010, 08:22 PM
What happened here? Did everyone meet up?

I'm considering it again, but can't make my mind up! :banghead:

skank
13-05-2010, 08:14 AM
So are we going to wing it on the way there and back as to where we sleep?

gary tompkins
13-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Grumpy won't plan overnight stops there and back. Too difficult to know where we will end up each day, and just as easy to book B&B when we arrive. Also James is splitting off from us on way back to spend a few days in Milan. We have a stop planned local to Bugatti museum, and possibly Balogna (for factory/museum) on way down. Other than that we'll make it up as we go along.

skank
13-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Awesome. bring your wallet to the museum and you will have no beer money! They have a naughty corner for non-ducati bikes in the parking lot too.

heh, maybe i'll bring my sleeping bag, never know, we might end up in a field somewhere! :D

Stuart42
18-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi all

just spoke with Grumpy and he is using Michelin red maps of France, Switzerland and Italy.

I've just ordered them from Amazon, 12 quid the lot, so we are at least using same maps so we have the same info.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Stuart

Grumpy
19-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi all, been busy trying to finish my outstanding projects so I can go to WDW without any clients bothering me!
Anyways, I have a route worked out for us, which I will give copies of, to everyone on the ferry.
I understand that not having planned stops, apart for the first day, might seen unusual, but in my experience, it is generally not a problem finding hotels in Europe with rooms, combined with the weather will affect the miles we cover every day.Sunny days good mileage, rainy days poor mileage.
The only point which I feel we have to make on the journey, is Cattolica on wed pm sometime.
I would suggest that we organize to meet the other club members traveling to WDW and staying in the same hotel on wed pm in Cattolica at the Marina, say at approx 4pm?

crust
19-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi, I'm not arriving till thursday so cant make that meet.

I'll meet you at the track thurs or back at the hotel, I'll be the bloke looking like an englishman on holiday, fluorescent white legs etc, you get the picture.

I'm taking my time meandering down there, so we may meet on the way down.

Grumpy, if possible can you drop me a rough outline of your route and I'll keep an eye out if they cross. Had a rough think about a route but wont decide on one till I know the weather.

Capo
20-05-2010, 07:57 AM
I'll meet you at the track thurs or back at the hotel, I'll be the bloke looking like an englishman on holiday, fluorescent white legs etc, you get the picture.

Would that be sandles with socks as well :D

crust
20-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Would that be sandles with socks as well :D

Black ankle ones, pulled up mid calf.

gary tompkins
27-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I've just sorted my Europe assist cover with the RAC. Cost me £69 for 12 days which I thought was a pretty good deal. Trikes now serviced and ready to go - can't wait :woot:

Grumpy
27-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Good to see your raring to go Gary. I've got to give my monster a shake down ride(again!)
I fitted to the S4 a braced swinging arm, which , when the tyre warmed up, rub against the tyre!!GRR!
So I spent 6hrs in my garage on sunday taking the braced arm out and fitting a standard arm back on to my bike.
Apart from that everything else is on track to meet you guys at Dover.:woot:

seby
28-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Hello Folks
me and Pomp1 will arrive on Thursday and planing to meet other bikers on Raticosa and then Passo del Muraglione, if someone want to join us we can organize it
Seby

slob
28-05-2010, 11:15 AM
...I would suggest that we organize to meet the other club members traveling to WDW and staying in the same hotel on wed pm in Cattolica at the Marina, say at approx 4pm?

Not sure if I'll get there by 4pm but just in case,
Can you give us a precise location?
I can see about 3 Marinas on Google maps.

...otherwise see you at the hotel.

crust
28-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Hello Folks
me and Pomp1 will arrive on Thursday and planing to meet other bikers on Raticosa and then Passo del Muraglione, if someone want to join us we can organize it
Seby

ooh, definitely suits me, sir oh yes.

Was for sure planning to get a run over the Muraglione at some stage and am also arriving thursday.

What time and where on the Raticosa are you meeting?

I've got a vague plan to be somewhere around Verona Wednesday night but havent planned anything definite.

gary tompkins
28-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Good to see your raring to go Gary. I've got to give my monster a shake down ride(again!)
I fitted to the S4 a braced swinging arm, which , when the tyre warmed up, rub against the tyre!!GRR!
So I spent 6hrs in my garage on sunday taking the braced arm out and fitting a standard arm back on to my bike.
Apart from that everything else is on track to meet you guys at Dover.:woot:

I'm glad you mentioned Dover James...

For those Kenties (and others) catching ferry on Sunday 6th. Are we meeting at the Ashford services for ride into Dover, and if so what time shall we arrive/depart?

Or should we just meet at Dover ferry teminal?

Albie
28-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm glad you mentioned Dover James...

For those Kenties (and others) catching ferry on Sunday 6th. Are we meeting at the Ashford services for ride into Dover, and if so what time shall we arrive/depart?

Or should we just meet at Dover ferry teminal?

Why are you going via Ashford GT when you live on the A2. Would it not be better to go on the A2, M2 direct to dover .

Grumpy
28-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I'll be coming down the A2 past Canterbury, so I would suggest we meet at the ferry terminal.

Grumpy
28-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Here is a link to the Marina location.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Cattolica+Italy&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.852959,39.331055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cattolica+Rimini,+Emilia-Romagna,+Italy&ll=43.968573,12.751286&spn=0.003521,0.009602&t=h&z=17

gary tompkins
28-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Why are you going via Ashford GT when you live on the A2. Would it not be better to go on the A2, M2 direct to dover .

Because that's what we did for Belgium trip - met up at Ashford Services on M20

I'll be coming down the A2 past Canterbury, so I would suggest we meet at the ferry terminal.

No problem - I'll see you there then

Albie
29-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Because that's what we did for Belgium trip - met up at Ashford Services on M20

Erm we did last year as we went to Eurotunnel Folkstone.

When we went to DOVER we met at M2 farthing corner and then at the Canterbury services on the A2.

Sorry just was confused by your extra mileage to get to a destination. :scratch::scratch::scratch:

gary tompkins
29-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I think you are right - anyway we are meeting at Dover now

Albie
29-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I think you are right - anyway we are meeting at Dover now

I know Im right this time. :running:

Liz
29-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Wish I was going!!! Have fun................!