PDA

View Full Version : Thinking ahead - Hampshire etc. barbecue?

MrsC_772
12-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Pegboy's photos made me think - when the weather picks up (probably the other side of Easter), would people be up for a barbecue at my place in Farnborough?

I'm afraid we don't favour the traditional British incinerated-on-the-outside-raw-in-the-middle sausage and burger formula.
We have a decent barbecue with a spit (for whole chickens, ducks, pork joints etc.)
We have a variety of barbecue sauce recipes (combining unlikely combinations of ingredients, but it ends up tasting like spicy barbecue sauce).
For anyone who can cadge a lift, we brew our own beer (and jolly nice it is too, says it as shouldn't).
For the aching limbed after a long ride or truly decadent, there's a hot tub in the garden.
And there's parking for 3 cars (so lots of bikes) on the drive.

Liz
12-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Pegboy's photos made me think - when the weather picks up (probably the other side of Easter), would people be up for a barbecue at my place in Farnborough?

I'm afraid we don't favour the traditional British incinerated-on-the-outside-raw-in-the-middle sausage and burger formula.
We have a decent barbecue with a spit (for whole chickens, ducks, pork joints etc.)
We have a variety of barbecue sauce recipes (combining unlikely combinations of ingredients, but it ends up tasting like spicy barbecue sauce).
For anyone who can cadge a lift, we brew our own beer (and jolly nice it is too, says it as shouldn't).
For the aching limbed after a long ride or truly decadent, there's a hot tub in the garden.
And there's parking for 3 cars (so lots of bikes) on the drive.

Sounds good! You'd have to provide wine as well - I don't do beer!! Hot tub sounds fun though!!!

MrsC_772
12-01-2010, 09:20 PM
We have attempted to make wine this year as there's a grape vine in the garden, although my money is currently on it being a possible alternative to SDoc100 gel for getting baked on oily crud off bikes, as opposed to a fine vintage to savour!

uksurfer
12-01-2010, 09:32 PM
BBQ? love too, just try to find an 'avaliable' date, sure we can sort something out for the sunnier weather :woot:

LVC
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Let me know when as the folks live in Camberley and you never know I might have to find a reason to pop back to Blighty - will have to be incognito as too many exes around the Farnborough and Aldershot areas.

Liz
12-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Let me know when as the folks live in Camberley and you never know I might have to find a reason to pop back to Blighty - will have to be incognito as too many exes around the Farnborough and Aldershot areas.

Well if you come incognito, at least bring some bloody decent French white wine with you!

Gamsa
12-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Sounds marvellous

Paivi
13-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Have napkin, will travel! Just let me know when to turn up, so I can make sure I don't eat for a week beforehand!

Stafford
13-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Can I pitch a tent, hic. Sounds like an all day affair. :drunk:

CK & AK
13-01-2010, 06:54 AM
You are reasonably local... we will follow the brewing & barby'ing scent... :D

Let us know dates :)

MrsC_772
13-01-2010, 08:00 AM
We have got garden space for tent pitching (plus sofa bed and a reasonable amount of floor space).

Have been known to rig a tarpaulin over the grape vine trellis to allow barbecuing in the rain before.

LVC
13-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Well if you come incognito, at least bring some bloody decent French white wine with you!

If I make it over I'm sure I could smuggle the odd bottle or two in the pockets of my riding leathers :drunk:

Stuart42
13-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Would be up for that, thanks

Cheers
Stuart

Liz
13-01-2010, 11:38 AM
We have got garden space for tent pitching (plus sofa bed and a reasonable amount of floor space).

Have been known to rig a tarpaulin over the grape vine trellis to allow barbecuing in the rain before.

Bagsy the sofa bed!!! :chuckle:

scrapps
13-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Bagsy the sofa bed!!! :chuckle:

OMG they will need loads of bottles of wine if your going Liz :booze::booze::booze:

Paivi
13-01-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm only at the other end of the A3, so it'll be a short journey back home. By then I hope to have the Duchess back on the road, too.

Looking forward to this already, I'm only averaging a bbq once every four years now.

MrsC_772
13-01-2010, 04:24 PM
As the barbecue idea has met with popular approval, I'd like to pencil in a provisional date in the diary (so that OGL can add it to the Hampshire 2010 list of events).

It should be a Saturday, or the Sunday in a bank holiday weekend, to allow for quaffing & carousing and sleeping it off.

Possibilities are:
- Easter weekend (e.g. Saturday 3 April) - higher risk of iffy weather?
- late May (either Saturday 22nd, or possibly the bank holiday weekend, Saturday 29 or Sunday 30th)
- Saturday 19 June

Any thoughts/preferences?

uksurfer
13-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Really pleased that your holding a BBQ for us, let us know nearer the time what you need us to bring along!

My thoughts are as follows:

Easter, dodgy due to weather......

The last May b/h sunday 30th, giving people time to sleep and not worry about getting home late (gets my vote) :thumbsup:

june 19th, not sure if too near the WDW and people getting home from there and then heading of for a BBQ?

But, saying that, i would be able to make any of those dates at the moment so am pretty flexible.
cheers martin

Liz
13-01-2010, 05:43 PM
OMG they will need loads of bottles of wine if your going Liz :booze::booze::booze:

How very dare you!! :shocked:

Liz
13-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Really pleased that your holding a BBQ for us, let us know nearer the time what you need us to bring along!

My thoughts are as follows:

Easter, dodgy due to weather......

The last May b/h sunday 30th, giving people time to sleep and not worry about getting home late (gets my vote) :thumbsup:

june 19th, not sure if too near the WDW and people getting home from there and then heading of for a BBQ?

But, saying that, i would be able to make any of those dates at the moment so am pretty flexible.
cheers martin

What Martin says - and thanks in advance! Do you know what you've let yourselves in for? ;)

chris yeatman
13-01-2010, 07:48 PM
yeah r be up for this, sounds good.
hope the weathers good .

S4Rs MacK
14-01-2010, 04:42 PM
First BBQ invite of the year, sounds good, hopefully the diary will be clear when a date is decided on.

Liz, we can ride up together if you want?

Happy New Year to all BTW

MrsC_772
16-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Right folks, let's pencil in for Sunday 30th May.

Nearer the time, I suggest anyone who wants to come should PM me, so I can PM back with the address and directions.

I obviously won't put the address on a public web forum (don't want it turning into one of those legendary "thousands gate crash biker party advertised on the web" TV news headlines!)

desmo
16-01-2010, 06:44 PM

I obviously won't put the address on a public web forum (don't want it turning into one of those legendary "thousands gate crash biker party advertised on the web" TV news headlines!)

Oooh, does that mean the axe throwing competition in the garden is off then?

Sorry just jesting, Me & Mrs Desmo would love to come.

uksurfer
16-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I'll put it in the calendar for the 30th May, i can smell the burgers already.. :fiery:

Liz
16-01-2010, 11:42 PM
First BBQ invite of the year, sounds good, hopefully the diary will be clear when a date is decided on.

Liz, we can ride up together if you want?

Happy New Year to all BTW

No probs Dean, hopefully Stafford will join us along the A4 from Bath.

Nearer the time, I suggest anyone who wants to come should PM me, so I can PM back with the address and directions.

Nearer the time? I'll be there and looking forward to it! See you next week.

MrsC_772
15-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Had our first barbecue of the year last Sunday - getting in some practice! We tried a new sauce recipe with our spit-roast pork.

Andy suggested we brew again this weekend so we have enough beer ready in time for the end of May.

Need to start thinking about ice cream recipes ...

uksurfer
15-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Had our first barbecue of the year last Sunday - getting in some practice! We tried a new sauce recipe with our spit-roast pork.

Andy suggested we brew again this weekend so we have enough beer ready in time for the end of May.

Need to start thinking about ice cream recipes ...

Ice cream :mand:

CK & AK
15-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Damn :( seem to be missing quite a bit this year - we'll be racing at Cadwell over that weekend

CK

MrsC_772
03-05-2010, 07:36 PM
After the Arrow Mill hog roast yesterday, we're now planning our own (smaller scale, judging by Chris's photo) version on Sunday 30th May here in Farnborough.

We'll aim to have food ready 2.30 ish.

Spit roast pork and I dare say burgers, the odd sausage, maybe tandoori chicken as well.

Even if it's wet, we still plan to barbecue (as we can rig up a tarpaulin over the patio to provide a bit of shelter).

Let me know if you'd like to come, so we know how much food to buy, and so I can PM you with the address.

There will be floor space (Liz having bagged the sofabed) if you want to stay over to enjoy a drink or two. If we run out of floor space, we could put the tent up in the back garden.

Anyone who wants to use the hot tub, bring swimsuit & ideally a towel.

uksurfer
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Let me know if you'd like to come, so we know how much food to buy, and so I can PM you with the address.

Copy and paste Name below please -

uksurfer

Rally
03-05-2010, 09:35 PM

uksurfer
Rally

Liz
03-05-2010, 09:39 PM

uksurfer
Rally
Liz_62 (and maybe a Ducati too!)

chris yeatman
04-05-2010, 06:38 AM
uksurfer
Rally
chris yeatman (may be, audio work depending)

Paivi
04-05-2010, 07:41 PM
uksurfer
Rally
Paivi

desmo
04-05-2010, 10:56 PM
uksurfer
Rally
Paivi
Desmo & Roz

Gamsa
05-05-2010, 06:13 AM
uksurfer
Rally
Paivi
Desmo & Roz
Gamsa

Gutsy
05-05-2010, 09:43 AM
uksurfer
Rally
Paivi
Desmo & Roz
Gamsa
Gutsy

scareycarey
05-05-2010, 09:19 PM
uksurfer
Rally
Paivi
Desmo & Roz
Gamsa
Gutsy
Scarey & Mark

MrsC_772
21-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Just ordered lots of meat ready for next weekend.

If people don't turn up, I may be eating nothing but roast pork and sausages until Christmas!

uksurfer
21-05-2010, 06:27 PM
i'll be there and hungry, i'm doing a little b/h weekend trip starting Friday night, by the time i get to yours i'll be starving!!

Rogerg
21-05-2010, 06:30 PM
damm it - am in the Isle of man watching the classic TT this weekend!

MrsC_772
21-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Can forgive non-attendance if there's an Isle of Man related excuse!

Was there last week myself - decided I loved Glen Helen on the bike, less keen on the mountain road on 2 wheels (great in the Scooby). We had an interesting talk from TT marshals' organiser and medical director about the behind the scenes stuff. Waterworks is where the marshals are pretty much guaranteed an incident - there was footage of Sammy Miller (ever the trials rider) on a parade lap riding a lovely black and gold classic Ducati over the bales and off the cliff. He climbed back ok, but the bike landed a long way down in the bracken, and I wouldn't fancy its chances of being ridden again.

Albie
21-05-2010, 06:46 PM
If I can get there after work I will. Usually sunday not much to do but doubtI will be able to make it until 5.30 -6. I dont want to arrive when everyones gone or going but I will try and get there by car though.

Rogerg
21-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I've seen the pictures of Sammy Miller having his off at the museum - can't believe he walked away.

We're on 4 wheels too as are taking a slight detour on the way home to have some extra bling applied.

Paivi
21-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Just ordered lots of meat ready for next weekend.

If people don't turn up, I may be eating nothing but roast pork and sausages until Christmas!
Phew, for some reason I thought this was this weekend, and I was getting worried, as due to a plumbing emergency, I'm not showering at the moment... Maybe it'll be fixed by next weekend, so I'll be back to my usual fragrant self. :worried:

MrsC_772
21-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Paivi - sorry to hear about your plumbing woes on the other forum. Friends of ours just came back from holiday to find water coming in through every ceiling from a leak while they were away so you're not the only one in that predicament. Have hosepipe and jetwash, hot-tub, 2 showers and a bath here, so if you're still without hot water by next weekend, I'm sure something can be done to render you sufficiently fragrant and presentable for the plumbers when they do finally turn up to sort your flat out!

Albie - have floor space if you want to crash over afterwards if you won't be able to turn up until later.

uksurfer
21-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Meeting Point for the Hampsters!

Hopefully weather permitting we will all be on our bikes, and the main meeting point is going to be at Andover Shell Service Station at 1.30pm.

It gives us plenty of time to ride up to Farnborough for 2.30 ish....

Hopefully Rally will lead a gang down from Devizes way, and i will have to meet at Andover due to other commitments.
i'm sure that Gutsy will be able to lead people up from Stockbridge to Andover if needed.
Start organising more after i have spoken to Rally and we've had brekkie this weekend.
:thumbsup:

Paivi
21-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Have hosepipe and jetwash, hot-tub, 2 showers and a bath here, so if you're still without hot water by next weekend, I'm sure something can be done to render you sufficiently fragrant and presentable for the plumbers when they do finally turn up to sort your flat out!
Hmmm, I do believe jetwash could do miracles for cellulite...:idea:

S4Rs MacK
22-05-2010, 03:43 AM
Apologies Mrs C, but Jill and I have been invited down to our friend Sue's 50th Birthday bash in Cornwall, so we will have to rain check you kind invitation.
Thanks again for the original invite though whilst at Liz's on the years 1st Brekkie Meet.
Hope to catch up with you soon though, perhaps at a race meet or another BBQ.
I hope everyone has a great time with you next weekend as well. Ciao.

granite785
22-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Shame I cant make make this as off camping for the long weekend.
This is the start of our summer now. Long may it stay blue in the sky!

uksurfer
24-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Meeting point arrangements

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=37673