PDA

View Full Version : Another Dual Disc Conversion Thread (M600)

Pistuphead
12-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi

Can anyone help me? I want to do the dual front disc upgrade on my 99 M600. I can't see any mounting holes for the new caliper etc on the fork and can't see anywhere to mount a new disc on the wheel or am I just blind?! What will I need to do the conversion? Will it extend to new forks and a new front wheel???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Paranoid Dave
12-01-2010, 06:16 PM
the wheel will have a plastic cover on it, the bolt holes are underneath so wheel is fine. As for the forks, some models have second fork legs with the bolt holes, earlier ones don't, so looks like you'd need new forks or fork bottoms at least.

I converted my 600 and as well as the bits already mentioned, I upgraded the oil and valves in the forks to stop me diving on braking. I used 900 levers and reservoir too.

rac3r
12-01-2010, 06:20 PM
A chance for SBK forks maybe? :cool:

Zimbo
12-01-2010, 11:05 PM
You'll need the fork leg with the caliper mount, disc will fit to your existing wheel no problem. You should also change the master cylinder, as the ratio of bore to stroke required to operate a single caliper is different to the requirements for twin calipers.

May I ask why you need to change to twin discs? If it's for cosmetic reasons then fair enough, if it's because the brakes aren't good enough you should be able to sort it with new pads (recommend Bendix or Performance Friction) and new brake fluid, plus a braided m/c to caliper hose. With this set up it's good enough to race with, so should be more than good enough for the road!

Pistuphead
13-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Well it's really just for cosmetic reasons if i'm honest! Can I buy the fork bottom separatly or am I best just finding some second hand forks?

Was thinking of getting rid but i'm starting to feel a project coming on :p

Cheers.