PDA

View Full Version : Midlands Track Day

davkyt
12-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi guys
I have been charged with the task of purchasing a track day session/instruction for a mate.
My mate rides a CBR 600 and has been riding for maybe 18mths so I guess would be a novice/intermediate level.

Can anyone reccomend a good track day or advanced (get your knee down ) type event somewhere in the midlands?

Cheers

J.P
12-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Check out the HOTTRAX and NO LIMITS Websites for days at Oulton Park and Cadwell Park which may be your best bet.

And if he hasn't been on the track before definitely stick him in a Novice Group. Don't be tempted to go higher initially because the step up can be huge and dent your confidence rather than bolster it.

I did also so a 'Kneedown afternoon' at Mallory Park run by a company based on site. Much lower quality but did give you nearly three hours of track time to practice cornering on part of the track.

slob
12-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Oulton is hardly the Midlands J.P,

mallory, rockingham, silverstone or donington should do.
Cadwell ok for east mids, maybe anglesea if west mids

J.P
12-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Hey, I didn't have my sat nav at the desk to help figure out where everything was...... :(

Zimbo
12-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I'd recommend Mallory with No Limits, Mallory because it's easy to learn and reasonably safe, noise limits are reasonable, novice sessions tend to be well behaved, and with about 21 seconds of max lean right hander round Gerrards he should manage to get his knee down! In my experience No Limits run the best track days.

davkyt
13-01-2010, 08:28 AM
cheers guys

NattyBoy
14-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm with Zimbo. Mallory is a good starter track and No Limits are generally better at instruction if you ask for it IMO.

I obviously dont know your mates level, but I normally discourage 'newbies' from going in a novice group unless they are really inexperienced/lack confidence as the novice group can sometimes be more dangerous than inters ! (ie; people changing lines and being unpredictable).

slob
14-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I disagree Nat, I'd stick with the novices until you can't stand it anymore, flat out with 60BHP and litre sportsbikes hooning past you can be quite offputting if you've never experienced it before

davkyt
15-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Can you still use your own bike on novice ones? My mates got a CBR600.

He's no slouch, but he isnt a stupid rider either.

I've seen one at Cadwell, £60 for the track, and £195 for a whole day of one on one "Superbike Masterclass" class instruction.
As seems really keen on learning the race techniques....

scrapps
15-01-2010, 09:15 AM
I agree with Slob. road riding and track riding are not the same. I have done around 10 trackdays now and only the last 4 in inters. In the inters the gsxr,r1,cbr 1000s will be going very fast so its not the place to learn/find your track position/line.
you can move up a group if you are way faster but may come a cropper if your in the inters to soon.:eek:

Capo
15-01-2010, 10:31 AM
One of the problems with grouping is that as the fast and intermediate fill up, some 'not so novice' people end up in novice group.

My philosphy is to stick with the novice group in the belief that all the 'nutters' will be in the other groups.

davkyt
15-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I guess the gap from novice to inters can be vast....
I think i'll stick him in novice.....

scrapps
15-01-2010, 12:48 PM
It is very dependant on the bookings at cadwell last year they had 2 or 3 fast boys in the novice group who prob could not get in the fast group. scared poor old ladybird on her first trackday.
it can be a bit hit or miss but as people have said no limits are very good and will not put up with that.