PDA

View Full Version : Language for 2010

neilbaldry
10-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I have decided to do something different for 2010, learn Italian. Bit of an obvious choice of dialect, but hey! The missus wants in aswel, so what do people reccomend? Rossetta stone? The BBC I see have a beginners guide......

MrsC_772
10-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I hope you have better luck than me trying to learn Italian.

There were 2 separate beginners Italian evening classes advertised in my town back in the autumn - I tried to sign up and for one got an answerphone message that they weren't doing any adult education classes until further notice, and the other didn't have enough people signing up so they cancelled it!

Nonnie
10-01-2010, 04:13 PM
You could come here for dinner once a week! Woddy is a fluent speaker.

His Mum however can speak Italian, Greek, English, Arabic, French, all fluently and also learnt Russian a few years back.

Italian is a lovely language. Good Luck with it.

Bodybag
10-01-2010, 04:18 PM
I have used Michel Thomas to learn French. I'm about to start the Spanish course as there's more chance of me using that over the next few years. The principle behind the Michel Thomas system is that there is no writing or learning (as such) to do. Its all conversational so there aren't great long lists of words to remember.

Order the Foundation course first: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michel-Thomas-Foundation-Course-Italian/dp/0340938943/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263143192&sr=8-1 it comes with the first 8 CDs. There are another 14 CDs available in 5 seperate packs after the Foundation course.

Italian Foundation Review - 2 CDs
Italian Advanced - 4 CDs
Italian Review - 1 CD
Italian Language Builder - 2 CDs
Italian Vocabulary - 5CDs

You can often find these bundled together into multipacks for not a great deal of money.

Hope this helps?

Phil

LVC
10-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Sell up or rent out and move to Italy for a year or so - it was the only way I managed to learn French - you can't beat immersing yourself into the culture and language.

Failing that Nonnie's idea (if she's serious) is a great one - spending time with someone who speaks it fluently and learning conversional Italian and backing it up with the usual "homework" will get you a flying start.

Goodio luckasio (see that'll get you started).

Gilps
10-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I would recommend the Michel Thomas CD's too. I've used the French and Spanish ones, both very good. He was an interesting chap, spoke several languages, was captured by the Nazis and held in a concentration camp before escaping and joining the French resistance, then worked with the Americans in counter-inteligence during WWII.

Nonnie
10-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Neil, you bringa da puddinga, Woddy will do de lingo.

Hmmmm!

neilbaldry
10-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Unfortunately, I dont think there are any posts in Italy for my job.......... So as long as Nonnie doesnt mind Tiramasu every week, game on!

I might try the Michel Thomas CD's as a lad at work has also spoken well of them in the past (he is learning Rushki).

Bodybag
10-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I see its rubbed off on you Nonnie. You speak like a native (of Norfolk)!! :D

Nonnie
10-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Hell Yeah Bodybag!

Neil, I detest Tiramisu but if you want to meet up and do like the Mafiosa then just say so. I might even learn it as well.

LVC
10-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Pizza pizza pizza - couldn't get more Italian than that :D

kneedown
10-01-2010, 08:33 PM
i aim to learn Italian this year we had such a good break there inc moto gp at mugello hope to get back soon