PDA

View Full Version : Rose Joints question

Paranoid Dave
09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I've not seen a thread recently so I'll raise an old question...

Older model monsters with swingarm loops, connected by rose joints... you know the ones. Well they always look crappy, changing them for good looking ones is a great idea but am I right in thinking that Stainless Steel is a no no for that bit?
I seem to remember there being a risk of fracture and failure and a need to stick to standard type. Anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks

Pedro
09-01-2010, 09:34 PM
I'd have thought stainless would have been fine provided you get it from a reputable supplier - Bramer are worth a try

Yorkie
10-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Try here??

http://www.rod-ends.co.uk/

Im sure they will answer any questions you have!

Yorkie

Kato
10-01-2010, 10:45 AM
No problem with stainless rod ends other than them being heavy, as always buy cheap and it will let you down.

Get mine from these guy's

http://www.rotaprecision.com/pages/motorsport.html

CK & AK
10-01-2010, 02:51 PM
PD, be very careful in what grade you get, as most grades of SS are not durable and can fracture - hence why its not used for disc bolts etc.

AK

Paranoid Dave
10-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Aha, I knew there was some truth in it. Thanks Alan.

Is there a grade of SS that is suitable for the rose joints on the swingarm?

gary tompkins
10-01-2010, 02:58 PM
The problem with some grades of stainless as it has less tensile strength than carbon steels. It can also work harden and become weak, leading to stress cracking and fractures.

I would ensure the stainless grade (rod ends) is at least as good as equivalent carbon steel parts, otherwise it's taking a big risk. Stainless is usually ok in low stress areas, such as gear linkage ends or for general fasteners, but as AK said not good for everywhere.

CK & AK
10-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Aha, I knew there was some truth in it. Thanks Alan.

Is there a grade of SS that is suitable for the rose joints on the swingarm?

pass mate
eg, its not something I would ever use myself on that part of a bike, but aircraft quality would be ok, but you would need to speak to a spherical joint supplier about tensile strength & application - they may do one.

AK

Paranoid Dave
10-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks all, may look at alternatives instead.

Trent
11-01-2010, 07:43 AM
How about pressing the rose joint out of the body, then get the body nickel plated and press the joint back in.

You could either go for a "chrome like" finish, or more of a dull "brushed" finish.

Easy, cheap and uses the original part, so no question of failure etc.

Paranoid Dave
11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
didn't think of that, assumed you couldn't take them apart.

CK & AK
11-01-2010, 06:47 PM
PD, get in touch with a spherical joint supplier, tell them what you want & they will be able to supply one for prob less than £20. Talk to them mate :)