PDA

View Full Version : Oil Light

Kemp1
05-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is quite the right place for this (sorry if it isn't) but Ive just bought a 620 and Ive been told that the oil light will stay on for around five miles (and will need to be ridden gently during this time) before the light goes out -is this normal?

Thanks

uksurfer
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
neither my S4 or my old 600 did this, i would have thought it should go out within a few seconds, but i've never had a 620!
There should be a sensor which tells the light this?

snakey
05-01-2010, 09:54 PM
it should go out immediatley the engine is started - i have just had a similar thing with my 750, where the oil light was coming on at odd times, i had a chat with Rich at louigimoto and was told that the old oil pressure switches did this and had been superceeded by a new one, I'd check with him first, as he is only down the road from you and he keeps them in stock should it be the problem.
Pete.

Albie
05-01-2010, 10:09 PM
I would not accept this. I had the one on the s4 go but it only came on when riding for an hour and a flickering at tickver. I changed it and fine. Check for seepage around the switch. Very fine mist of oil.

CK & AK
05-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is quite the right place for this (sorry if it isn't) but Ive just bought a 620 and Ive been told that the oil light will stay on for around five miles (and will need to be ridden gently during this time) before the light goes out -is this normal?

Thanks

NO!
Prob just a faulty switch, but it should go out as the engine is fired.
Get the switch checked asap for peace of mind, think from memory they are about £20 to replace & should take about a minute tops to replace it.
If its not the switch then get the oil pump checked next, again this isnt a major job to check.

AK

Albie
05-01-2010, 10:36 PM
NO!
Prob just a faulty switch, but it should go out as the engine is fired.
Get the switch checked asap for peace of mind, think from memory they are about £20 to replace & should take about a minute tops to replace it.
If its not the switch then get the oil pump checked next, again this isnt a major job to check.

AK
I paid just over £24 from protwins who can be a tad dear for some things.

Nickj
05-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Mine does a little flicker when the revs are low, sometimes when it's wet it's a bit more random!
I did stick a pressure gauge on the line up to the cooler and that looked OK so it'll get a new switch when I pull the cases off to repaint sometime this year.

Kemp1
05-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys -great advice -I dont feel quite so daft for asking the question!

I don't pick the bike up for a few weeks so may have a chat with the dealer and see if they can sort it before I do but at least it doesnt sound too difficult to sort out

snakey
06-01-2010, 07:21 AM
which dealer are you getting it from - any reputable one should get the problem fixed before you get the bike, and it should be F.O.C.

Pete.

Gadget
06-01-2010, 07:53 AM
I recently replaced 2 on separate bikes at a cost of £6.25 each.
They are the same as the Vauxhall Corsa.
1 because it was leaking. The other because it was staying on for about 20 minutes after starting.

Kemp1
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
which dealer are you getting it from - any reputable one should get the problem fixed before you get the bike, and it should be F.O.C.

Pete.

Arriva Kawasaki in Bristol -he was the one that raised it but I got the impression it was something I shouldnt be concerned with which is why I thought Id ask you guys -I will raise it again

slob
06-01-2010, 02:45 PM
If you're in the Bristol area, LouigiMoto would be an excellent choice for your Ducati servicing needs.

desmo
06-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Arriva Kawasaki in Bristol -he was the one that raised it but I got the impression it was something I shouldnt be concerned with which is why I thought Id ask you guys -I will raise it again

Hi.
As others have already said, the oil light should go out straight away once the engine starts, the switches do play up & the one on my S2R sometimes comes on when I wash the bike until it drys out.
If it's any help, I know the manager of Kawasaki Bristol personally, I better not put any names on an open forum, but if you have any problems, I could aways have a word with him.

Kemp1
06-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi.
As others have already said, the oil light should go out straight away once the engine starts, the switches do play up & the one on my S2R sometimes comes on when I wash the bike until it drys out.
If it's any help, I know the manager of Kawasaki Bristol personally, I better not put any names on an open forum, but if you have any problems, I could aways have a word with him.

Thanks very much Desmo -I think I've just been speaking to him actually and he was just as concerned so it is possible I may have misunderstood the other chap when he told me not to be concerned -he is going to get the workshop to check it out -they are really sound guys down there so I'm sure they'll sort it out -I know quite a few guys that have bought bikes there and think highly of them so I'm sure I'm in safe hands

snakey
06-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I recently replaced 2 on separate bikes at a cost of £6.25 each.
They are the same as the Vauxhall Corsa.
1 because it was leaking. The other because it was staying on for about 20 minutes after starting.

that's handy to know !:)

boofbee
23-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Changed the oil and filter today only to find the oil light is now staying on (for few seconds if that) when started up. Used 5W-40 fully synth oil. Any suggestions?

steve wright
23-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Boofbee, did you fill the filter with oil first, could be air locked in it if not, and may take a little time to clear. More likely 5w oil is too light for Dukes, so thin the pressure builds up more slowly so the light stays on longer. If your bikes an aircooled model i'd switch to a heavier semi synth straight away.

boofbee
24-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Yes been thinking that was the case, got my eye on some 15W-50 on e-pay. Cheers for that.

Waspowski
17-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Anyone got an opinion on this one then:

Yesterday morning I got drenched and then my M600 sat out in the rain all day until 8.00 that night. When i got going again that night, the oil warning light was on. I topped up oil after 5 mins just incase but it stayed on- I kept going, at points through a goog 8 inches of water. The light slowly dimmed and then went out entirely after about 20 mins to half hour. I then rode on for the next 2 hours and eventually made it home. Light is still on today so I've done an oil filter change and will check again tomorrow. I had thought it could be oil viscoscity cos of the cold or a bad oil pump but now you've got me thinking about a sensor....

Mental ride though!

snakey
18-02-2010, 07:48 AM
sounds like the switch to me, just had to do mine, £20 -£30 from Rich at http://www.louigimoto.co.uk/ and took about 5 - 10 minutes to fix.
Pete.

gary tompkins
18-02-2010, 08:50 PM
May just need a good squirt of WD40 to chase water out of the connections

My own 600 used to suffer this in heavy rain due to spray off the front wheel

Waspowski
18-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys! I knew this was the best place to start!

Nickj
18-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I kept going, at points through a good 8 inches of water. The light slowly dimmed and then went out entirely after about 20 mins to half hour.

My IE managed to plough through water that at times was pretty much up to the head stock, I was so wet by then I couldn't get wetter LOL.
The oil light didn't flicker at all, but I had gone over the connectors so they were pretty water tight.

You can take a monster anywhere ;)

steve wright
19-02-2010, 10:02 AM
This will be water in the switch, often happens when you jet wash the bike. Unplug the conector into the switch and dry with a hairdryer or something similar. WD40 is known to pass very small current which is enuf to make this switch play up, so I'd avoid using that. proper "contact cleaner" would do it though.

Capo
19-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I have been informed that it's not a good practice to fill the new oil filter with oil prior to installation. This comes from the Ducati race shop who demonstrated the difference in the time to establish oil pressure, no fill was quicker. Apparently its something to do with the priming characteristics of the positive displacement oil pump. I would think that this would apply to newly built engines where the oil pump would be dry, rather than an oil change where some oil would remain in the pump to assist the prime.

Waspowski
19-02-2010, 08:44 PM
So: Shall i fill the filter with oil tomorrow before screwing it on or not???? Dilemma!!!

crust
19-02-2010, 09:12 PM
I can see how filling the filter would hinder the purging of air out of the system on start up, the air in the system would have to be pushed through a full filter.

As you're going to warm the engine up first to get the oil to flow freely out of the engine there'll be a film around the bearings anyway.

As long as you dont rev the nuts off it from initial start up I doubt there'd be a problem, I've never bothered to fill a filter first, mainly because I'd end up spilling it.