PDA

View Full Version : New Style monster 18 Months on: Has it got it?

Ginger
02-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Okay so the new styling of the monster has been around for a little while and it's still a thing of beauty. I have no real problems with it and it on it's own is a very sexy bike that could take pride of place in any garage... But can it stand up to it's older brother?
Okay you could talk for hours about technical specifactions and 0-60 times and as an engineer I'd quite happily sit and listen. But this is not about technical brilliance - this is all about looks and let's face it you'd rather take home Jodie Marsh than Ann Widdecome at the night. I am sure that Ann could give you a great debate but she's not the kind of women that you'd mass debate over. (Hmmm... let's move on.)
So lets be shallow for a while and look at the 2 designs. The original monster design that was first introduced bassically stayed the same for about 14 years when it was eventually replaced by the new design which was sleaker and modern. Okay I am not some traditionalist that believes we should be still driving Austin Allegros but I do morn the passing of a great design. I still weep when I see something about the end of Concorde.
The two bikes are very similar; both have trellis frames, similar tank shape, 90 degree V-Twin - they are both Ducati's alright. But was something lost in the transistion? It's just like Doctor Who - Will that new guy be as good as David Tennent? And let's face it, with the classic Monster design, it was a hard act to follow.
I was sat there in Riders of Cardiff only the other day asking myself the same question whill my monnie was having a new tyre fitted. I sat there with a cup of tea staring at a whole line of brand spanking new monsters glistening under the showrooms light. And, yes, they looked brilliant. In fact they looked flipping awesome but something for me just wasn't clicking into place.
When I first saw a picture of a monster many years ago I knew that was the bike that I wanted to own. It took 2 bikes before hand and quite literally busting a gut this summer before I got it and the second I did it all felt... well... right. Sometimes meeting your heroes is never the right thing to do and yet when I did I wasn't disappointed.
I can also remember the day that I saw the new Monster design in RiDE. My heart mourned a little just like when you hear that that girl you have a crush on is getting married. But, after reading for a while I started to get sold this new bike. I loved the interchangeable tank panels (In fact I came up with that idea literally a month before the artical - I have my design sketchbook to prove it. Beaten by the boys at Ducati once again!), the better seat, the more futuristic styling. I now I wanted this bike.
But then the magazine was put down and I got on with everyday life not really thinking about the new styling of the monster. This brings me back to the cup of tea. I sat there staring and there are parts of that bike that I really don't like. I don't like the flared end cans they look cartoonish. I don't like the seat. Okay the old seat was uncomfortable for pillions but it looked right now it has a tail similar to any sports bike. I don't like the design of the exhaust manifold. And I espesecially don't like the headlight design. For me the monster was all about that big round headlight and now it's been taken away and repaced by something that is very similar to what is on most modern nakeds... which makes it less outstanding.

Ginger
02-01-2010, 05:59 PM
For me a naked bike is all about getting on and feeling invincible. It's about ripping it up through the streets, blasting the b-roads and assulting the a's. It sounds childish but I want it to make me feel like Batman, or Steve McQueen, or James Bond when just simply looking at it. And that old design does it for me... but the new one doesn't.
Okay I may be sounding like I hate this bike but I don't. I really don't. I like it and I may even end up owning one one day. In fact if I win the lottery tonight I'd go straight out and buy at least 2... but It wouldn't replace the Monster I've got now. Sit both bikes side-by-side and it is clear to see which is the older design especially in a world of iPods, touch screens and Facebook but great designs last forever. That's why you can still buy merchandise covered in Mini's and Vespa's.
So does the new style of monster cut the mustard? Well yes but not as good as it's older brother. It's like going to a strip club after breaking up with you girlfriend; sure all the ingredients are there but when you leave you know that you've spent a lot of money on something that wasn't as good as what you were getting a few weeks before and you are left with just a hollow feeling inside... and I for one have no intentions of ending my love affair to go chacing the next young pretty thing any time soon.

(Had to post in 2 parts - it was too long!)

walpole68
02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
So how would you have over come slowing sales and ever tighter emission laws changing exhaust styles for ever.when ever a new model comes out it always causes devided opions.with more original monster owners than new style more people will always prefer the old,but the 696 out sold the 695 by some margin so it's shows the Market was ready for a fresh design,and fair play to Ducati as they would have known it was going to be there biggest challenge and one that would decide Ducatis fate.I'm a fan of all monsters and think they did a fair job of tackling some of the old problems plus making it more upto date in how it rides while still being so in touch with the original monster styling.

LVC
02-01-2010, 06:46 PM
As always an interesting read Ginger :mand:

I know where you're coming from....I had a 964 Porsche - last of the air cooled 911s and was totally against the 993 (water cooled 911s) but that was way back when and now they all look great - but I still prefer the very first 356.

I guess it'll be that way for a lot of Monster owners, but you can't and shouldn't stop evolution and the new look Monster is great but time will tell if it's a true replacement for the original or just one of many reincarnations with restyling and technical improvements added but sterlised and with part of the soul removed.

I've a good friend with a new 1100 Monster and he loves it (he had a Z750 Kwaka before) he rode my S4 at the end of last year and it scared the **** out of him - too much of an untamed beast compared to his ride in his opinion - until I ride a new one I shouldn't comment but on appearance the old school will get my vote everytime :thumbsup:

uksurfer
02-01-2010, 06:59 PM
interesting write up, you should have taken one out for a spin and done a write up on the riding, after your cup of tea of course! :spin:

LVC
02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
I would be interested to know what Albie thinks as he's owned an S4 and now the M1100 for a direct riders comparison.

uksurfer
02-01-2010, 07:08 PM
i'm sure he preferred the S4 :running::running:

i like the new monster, but it would look dated i guess against the competetion on the 'newer' bikes with the headlights if it had retained the round one

MrsC_772
02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
When I first saw the pictures of the new shape Monster I wondered what Ducati were thinking - I preferred the original smoother curvier lines over the mesh patches on the sides of the tank covers, and wasn't struck by the fat stubby tapered exhausts.

Then I ended up in Snells and sat on a 696. It definitely looks better in the flesh than the photos. I was won over by the low seat, light weight and (pathetically shallow, I know) 0% finance offer. Every time I go into my garage, I look at it and think it's a damn sexy bike, and it's mine!!!

If they had still been making Monsters that looked like the original one, and offering them on a good deal this year, I'd have bought one, but the changed looks of the new one were not enough to put me off.

cj-M900
02-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Funny subject this as I've had to make two decisions for two different machines. I've got a 1994 Monster and had it from new. I can't remember the number of times I've told myself that I need to upgrade or just sell it as I'm not using it.... but I can't. I've also got a year 2000 Audi TT and the same goes for that. A new model TT is now out but I wouldn't want to sell mine for the same reasons.

I think it's all to do with original design concepts that sparked a stir and whole new market. I've now decided that the monster will be a project bike and kept for good. The same with the TT, it will be a cherished car because of it's influence and uniqueness when it was first launched. Both very original designs that are worthy of 'modern' classic status.

Pomp1
03-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Ginger, as always your write-ups are brilliant!
I like all things old and iconic (my car is a MK1 Cooper S..) and as far as that goes, you probably won't get more iconic than the original Monster ( not just in look, but the fact that without it, Ducati as we know it won't exist ) but things have to move on.Ducati was right in making a replacement, but they've got a bit carried out of the track with the little bits and pieces, like the headlight and the exhaust routing, but what makes a talking point is usually a good thing.
If I was a Ducati supremo I would have kept the old monster in production in one way or another, like they did in the first year with the S4R.

jerry
03-01-2010, 01:49 AM
I might buy a new Monster they are good but probably would pass over to a Triumph ....but will never willingly sell my M750 its a classic .

yellowfever
03-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Agree the new one does look better in the flesh than pictures and I do like the changeable side panels etc etc and clearly anything that keeps Ducati afloat and successful in the current economic climate has to be good. But I too don't like the exhausts or headlight. But for me the worst thing is the profile where it looks like someone really heavy has sat on it - middle looks a bit like its back is broken! Sure it makes the seat lower, but spoils the lines for me...

That said I guess in the unlikely event I ever get rid of my current monsters (M600 and S2R) I would seriously consider the new Monster (1100 of course...)

Ginger
03-01-2010, 08:51 AM
I don't wish to be understood on this topic. I am really not against the new style monster but to me it just feels like the difficult second album. Take the Stone Roses "Second Coming"; Great album with some awesome tracks on it (well worth a listen if you haven't heard it) but not as radical and pioneering as their debut album.
Like is said the point of what I wrote wasn't to assess the spec sheet or the ride because I know that the new Monster is suppose to be kick ass from the reviews that I have read.
I think that opinion on this will always be divided. I can remember reading an article in "Fast Bikes" that said the looks of the new monster to the old was like comparing a hot girl to her grandmother. I of course disagree. I don't dislike the new monster and it looks sick with some new end cans put on it.
Maybe with a little more time I will come to love it but the affinity that I have for the old style is not the same as the new style. I do understand that things have to move on and Ducati have probably suceeded to enchant other people with the new styling as they did me with original but what can I say? You always remember your first love affair...

BluprintZ
03-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Good one Ginger, i agree about the first impressions of the "new" Monster, when it was first launched...eeuck, i thought!
Maybe the "older" members of the forum such as myself, tend to develop a sense of tradition in all things and if you also have an engineering bent (ooer!), then tradition in all things mechanical will be even greater and a touch more difficult to leave behind, in my opinion.

Ok, i sold the M900 last October, i didn't want to sell it at all and ironically enough, i didn't need to sell it just for the money, like some poor sods on here have had to do.
The sale was mainly down to health reasons, compounded by the riding style i adopted since buying the Monster, which was pointed out to me by a couple of mates on various rideouts last year.
Apparently, i had developed a Moto GP style of riding, or as one mate unkindly put it "you look like a car with both doors open!!", his kind interpretation that i ride with both knees stuck out, all the time.
Quite possibly that style i adopted was possibly down to the Monster making me ride like that, we shall maybe never know but i do know it made me ride like a tw*t pretty much every time i cocked me leg over the bike, it was brilliant i tell you.
But i'm digressing a bit, i have had a spin on a 696, albeit only for ten miles or so but enough to know that i wasn't likely to rush round to Woods in Abergele the next day for a test ride, in fact when i got back on my Monster, it was a bit like losing a child in a shopping centre for a few minutes, then the relief as a security bloke hands you back the sobbing child, with a look of disappointment on his face!

In a marked contrast, i saw a Triumph Thruxton at the Ducati day at Rivington Barn last year and nearly developed what my ex used to call a "soft off" in the pantaloon area, you know how it is lads!!
So when it became obvious that i needed to change the Monster, the Triumph was going to replace it, that was pretty much a done deal in my mind.
If i'm being honest, i really wanted to come back from my ride on the 696 with a smile on my face but that didn't happen, in fact the ride was a short one because i wasn't really enjoying the bike and so it was pointless riding it any further, so i gave it back to the kind gent and his wife with a strained "not bad at all" comment after it's return.

Why was it so different?, why didn't it float my boat like i really wanted and expected it to do?
I'm going with my gut instinct here, as an engineer both in the mechanical and record industry sense, i question nearly everything, i was the same in my early teens, sitting in a wooden garage watching Bert or John-Willie fettling their Manx Norton or Velocette Venom Clubman, a thirst for knowledge of how things work.
As for the 696, it felt a bit bland, i could have been riding an SV650 for all it mattered, sorry!
I've never been all that keen on the new Monsters really, i've tried hard to but it just don't do it for me but maybe that's the traditionalist in me, i take change very slowly indeed.

The ride back home on my own Monster was a bit weird in contrast to the 696 experience, riding through the twisties on the way out of Betwys y coed, then hammering it over the Llanberis pass, i found myself shouting "YES", quite loudly and the emotional outburst was accompanied by a surge of adrenaline that nearly had me weeping in my lid.

I loved that Monster, i really did and i miss it like nothing else since, told you it was weird!

G ; )

He11cat
03-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I am the same.
The new Monster is a nice bike don't get me wrong.
But I don't like the headlight and Im not sure about the centre panel and the removable panels.
Great concept, great idea just not for me.

But I love the big round headlight and a nice solid tank on the older Monny's

I even just got the carbed model .. had fallen in love with the special edition rainbow flecked bike 620ie? that was up for grabs on the bay and on here. I was seriously going to go look and maybe buy that bike I really really loved it.
I was teetering on it..

I am not sure why I brought Hector!!!.. I just don't know, he was lowered but that was never an issue really and I just gravitated towards having him oh and doing nothing to him... and then something went wrong!

However even getting me to own a water cooled bike blow me was hard!!! The Kat is watercooled and I do not like watercooled bikes but I need to get over that.

So I decided just basic simple carbed Monster would do me.
It has everything I like in a bike and more.
cept for a dry clutch grrrrrrrrrr... so want a dry clutch. :(
It has that simple classic styling.

Ginger your bike is probably one of my fav colourways.. I love it.
Id like one in black with an orange frame.

I have to say there really isn't many "new" style bikes that I would consider buying.
Every bike I have owned except for the Kat has been naked. 15 of them now!

At NEC and the likes I am superglued to the triumph stand.
I do actually like the Street / speed triples and thruxton is lovely.

I walked round the NEC last year and I think the punters thought crikey Trumpet have hit hard times if thats the kind of girl they are now employing to model on their bikes!!
I was adhered to the lime green speedtriple most of the day with a stupid far away look on my face.

I saw a totally matt black rocket and I kept going back and gawping at it like a little child at a show.

The only other newish bike I like is the Griso even with its newer styling.
Now thats a nice bike!

I seem to go for the big brutes, big simple styling, naked and lots of ooomph.
All too big and way too much of a handful for me.
But I see older monsters love them.. and the Griso and the Rocket (in black of course) and I am drooling as well.

Oh cafe racers.. love them as well.. its just nice clean lines, no fuss, no faff just clean styling.

Sorry to all the new monny owners I like them too but not as much as my old boy!;)

walpole68
03-01-2010, 05:29 PM
People prefer the model they own so no suprise there,but with out a change there would be no monster in Ducati's range any more,for me I loved the old model from the day it was launched and always wanted one but by the time I ready to own one I thought they were getting a bit left behind in the performance stakes and it was finally the new model that finally united me with what is now the best bike I have ever owned.

Scootaboy
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
When I first stumbled upon ducati monsters whilst looking for a motorbike to move to from my scoots the new one was one of the first I saw - and I thought it was fantastic to look at, and I have always loved the headlight.

As I soon realised that it was brand new and would set me back 2k more than I could afford I started looking at the older shape and fell in love with that. I definately agree most people will prefer what they own (I did), and not everything with the new shape is right but it really does look great in the flesh, especially in white...and I'd definately try one (the 1100) if I could get a second bike.

It did need updating though I wonder not for the first time if the streetfighter is the true successor?

Stafford
03-01-2010, 06:22 PM
I thought they were getting a bit left behind in the performance stakes and it was finally the new model that finally united me with what is now the best bike I have ever owned.

Well with Ducati's own claimed 95bhp for both the 1100 and the S2R1000 and 6lb-ft of torque extra on the 1100 (75.9ft-lb) are hardly going to set the world on fire and not exactly setting a trail of fire for the opposition (mostly Triumph) to follow. With the Triumph Street Triple (675cc) wanging out 105bhp but admittedly only 50 torques and at the moment a better looking bike than the current Monster, and I don't like twin lights!
If you were after performance why didn't you get the S4RS? Bags of beans in there to be had and bags of bling to bolt on as well.
But of course you have to throw in the mix the ride of the Ducati, old or new. Those few extra torques make any of them a whole heap of fun in either two or four valve.
Getting back to the styling of the current crop of Monsters, yes I like the idea that you can change the tank panels but I don't like the hump of the tank the big fat original cans and that light is just a copy of current fashion trends.
In my eyes they've got it right in two of the current ranges. An improvement in the MS although I'm not sure it needs all the engine it's been given and the 848/1198. So if there was to be a new Monster for me I'll just have to wait to see what the next regeneration brings.

Nickj
03-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I thought they were getting a bit left behind in the performance stakes.

That's just the motor though, the packaging/styling doesn't really do much to that element. Triumph bought out a revisited Bonnie model where they deliberately used the originals styling cues. If Ducati needed to up the power then they'd have just reworked the motors, but I don't think that was the idea behind the new range.
It's the styling that is the dividing point, possibly too many of the original cues were dropped to build something to appeal more to the jap mainstream buyer.
Being too different from the big market movers who are obviously getting more units shifted can be considered in corporate land as either being very foolish or being very foolish. Money probably spoke.

Some of the new models I think Gladioli or Monster, there's a bit too much convergence there, the instant recognition is more blurred.

walpole68
03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Monsters don't have radiators in my opion,and the street triple is ugly in my opion that's why I own a air cooled monster with loads of torque as far more use than peak power at high revs,the thing I like about all monsters is how people customise them and make them there own.

Nickj
03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
the thing I like about all monsters is how people customise them and make them there own.

And much more tends to happen to monsters than the typical jap bike..
I'm liking the single side s/arm conversions which do look very trick

Stafford
03-01-2010, 06:54 PM
It did need updating though I wonder not for the first time if the streetfighter is the true successor?

See next quote for the answer, I actually think that's why they've called it the Streetfighter and not the water cooled version of the Monster for the purists.

Monsters don't have radiators in my opion,and the street triple is ugly in my opinion that's why I own a air cooled monster with loads of torque as far more use than peak power at high revs,the thing I like about all monsters is how people customise them and make them there own.

Luckily I used the figures from the 675 and not the 1050cc, as for customisation I was pondering this the other day, what makes a bike a custom? If I change the front mudguard for a carbon one could I enter it into a custom bike comp? Probably not, so I consider my bike not customised but personalised because all bar one of my changes are bolt on.

Some of the new models I think Gladioli or Monster, there's a bit too much convergence there, the instant recognition is more blurred.

Very true Nick and a few others as well.

Scootaboy
03-01-2010, 08:13 PM
every bike/scoot related forum I've ever been on has people on it banging on how their particular brand of motorcycle is more customisable than the rest...and they're all wrong of course :)

Ducati monsters are not customised any more than most other types of bike from what I've seen (jap commuters aside) and I agree with the comment above - is bolting on aftermarket goodies customising or personalising? Or damn tacky ;) (not having a go - I've done it)

littlejimmy12
03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I love all the old style monnies, but I feel nothing towards the new design and thats the problem for me. I have the same feeling about other Jap nakeds, that there all generic and have a lack of personality.

If I had the money to spend on a monster of my choice it would be an S4RS not one of the new designs, they just leave me cold. Its somehow to functional and angular for me, it looks too modern.

Maybe it will grow with time!

DesmoDog
03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I started reading the thread, god knows I did - but then I lost the will and that's a bit like the way I felt when I saw the new shape. I really thought it was a Japanese attempt at the Monnie, or something made to appeal to the Asian market. Anyway, here we are 18 months later and I know I'll never own a new shape, its just got no soul. (I did see an interesting mod where someone had managed a round headlight - but there's no getting away from those awful cans and tank). Hey ho, each to their own - but I doubt anyone will ever say "I saw a monster, and just knew I had to get a bike".

uksurfer
03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
See next quote for the answer, I actually think that's why they've called it the Streetfighter and not the water cooled version of the Monster for the purists.

i think i'd have a s/f, no question (if i had the cash) :hissy:

He11cat
03-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Any bike can be customized ... just depends how far you want to go away from the original look.:mand:
But to me a few bolt on goodies doesn't make a custom bike.

Local lad has Katana chop.... ok is a Katana engine but thats where it ends for me.
I think its an abomination lol.
You could argue the heart and soul of a bike is the engine you see. He still says its a Katana and I can't argue with it really ..my thought is its the engine that makes the bike what it is, its is heart see.

I could lump a monster engine in say a Mz frame (lol) just for arguments sake. Stick some kwack wheels on.. and would say its a Ducati... the hearts a Duke but looks nothing like one lol.

I think you can do a fair bit with a monster without loosing its key markers that make it well a monster.

The Monster chop .. you can still see its a monster even thought the frame was a total rebuilt one off frame i believe. Know it is not too many on here's taste but he's certainly built something that is way out there but still you'd glance at it quickly and say its a Monster! :mand:

The name Streetfighter upset a lot of bikers and il admit I thought bad choice of name sorry.

But that is because I still think a Streetfighter is a build in a shed designed in a pub or round mates house in the kitchen, heavy modified bike and pretty individual one off thing.
Not stick a pair of dominators on and its a Streetfighter no no.
Neither is it something you can go to a dealer and just buy.

The name I feel doesn't do the Duke justice and also upset the boys in the sheds. But maybe there is not a huge Streetfighter scene in Italy!

I have to say if I could afford the new bike I wouldn't because its the old style one that I like, the new one is a lovely bike but I think one you add little touches to rather then hefty modifications to its look.
You have what you want in front of you so to speak when you buy it.. and can change its colour with ease.

I like older classic style and you can do a bit more with it make it look very modern or very old skool! it would be hard to give the new Monster the cafe racer look with ease. But then someone who buys a new Monster probably wouldn't go for that look , well not on that bike.

If I had the money and the legs I would have an old monster still and a Superlight probably.

Mr.Number
03-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Its a good topic of conversation, and I still struggle to find a better looking bike than the
S2/4R's 800/1000. For me that is what a bike should look like and that particular shape will still be admired in years to come, absolutely superb. The new shape doesnt come anywhere near it in my taste.

Trouble is finding one, im waiting to come across an S2R 1000 but may have to be patient for a while yet.

I imagine that this type of feedback will reach Ducati, and it wouldnt surprise me at all if in following monster models, we see a mild return to the original and best Monster shape.

JR
03-01-2010, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=Mr.Number;335191]

Trouble is finding one, im waiting to come across an S2R 1000 but may have to be patient for a while yet.

I was looking at a nice S2R 1000 yesterday in the KTM dealership Premier Bikes Didcot - they have it on sale at £4999, but i am sure would take a bit less. Not for me though, i have a classic M1000 which i will keep forever and a day - my son bought a Suzuki 400 Supermoto - one day he will realize he needs a Ducati!

southfrance
04-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Interesting reading, to answer your original question, " has the new Monster got it 18 months on" I think the answer is yes.

I've had a 695 for 2 years now and it's a cracking bike, I love the retro'ish looks, smooth throttle, deep gloss finish and that trellis frame is just superb. There are 2 niggles with this bike 1. the breaks feel a bit wooden, but tend to get better during a ride as they warm up 2. the riding position is a bit cramped for taller riders, I'm 5'11 and a bit more leg room would be nice. But, like everyone, I've started thinking, " do I need a bigger bike " I don't need more top end as I seldom do more than 100'ish mph, but more torque to play with would be good. So, I test rode the M1100 the other day, full Termi's, and I absolutely had a blast. Now, when I first saw the new Monster I too felt it looked too modern , too different, but now I realise that Ducati wanted to re-invent the bike completely and with that in mind they have done a pretty good job. All bikes have niggles, the M1100 has a digital speedo you can't see if it's too sunny, the seat slides you forward onto the tank and the mirrors don't match the bike. On the other hand it's clean, got great presence, loads of torque, single sided swing arm, lovely wheels, good ground clearance the list goes on. It is huge fun to ride, almost supermoto, the Termi's are mental and make you feel like your going faster than you really are. I think Ducati wanted to produce a fun, torquey bike for scratching and blasting, a bike that makes you feel good and in my opinion it works.

The thing is, when I gave it back and jumped on my baby 695 to ride home I was surprised how well the little Monster stood up . There wasn't a lot in it in terms of acceleration, flick-ability and so on. Think I'm gonna stick Termi's on mine and pretend it's a new bike.

SF

southfrance
04-01-2010, 08:38 AM
If money was no object, I would keep my 695 and buy a new M1100s for sure.

SF

Jan (Belgium)
04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
To be honoust, I never liked the new one till I actually saw one in real life.
After that I had a test with the 696 (twice) and I must admit the new version is a lot easier to handle (compared to my old 800Sie).

After wrecking the 800S at the Nurburgring last summer I had to decide, old model or new model.
In the end I went for the new model since I had spotted an absolute bargain and I was pretty impressed after those test rides.

So bought myself an M1100S somewhere in November. Really like it now (I guess it needs some time to adapt from a design that has existed for about 14 years to the new one). At the moment there is only thing I like more about the old monsters and as Giller already indicated it's the headlight. Also for me this is something that defines a Monster, seeing that old headlight from whatever angle just tells you it's a Monster your looking at.

So, I decided to try and fit the old headlight on the new monster. We'll see if that works and if it works you'll notice it at the weekender.

Best regards,

Albie
04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I would be interested to know what Albie thinks as he's owned an S4 and now the M1100 for a direct riders comparison.

i'm sure he preferred the S4 :running::running:

i like the new monster, but it would look dated i guess against the competetion on the 'newer' bikes with the headlights if it had retained the round one

I will give you my humble opinion. I agree with all the sentiments as said. Old style is cool and timeless. The s4 has such different engine characteristics and much smoother presuming the extra valves. Its great fun and so much torque. The 1100 however is like the 900 with the harshness but a huge grin factor. Do I miss the s4. Yes and No because I made a choice to move on and do not regret buying this bike. I sat in my cold garage tonight and stared at it tonight and thought what a cracking looking bike. I know its been lavished with extra carbon but its pretty much the standard look. Its still a young bike at 1 yrs old since the 1100 came out in feb 09 but the 696 is coming up for 2. As it is so young theres still more design to come from spares people. Not as versatile as old school with exhausts as yet. Its seems that no one seems to change with a bigger fairing design as yet. To be fair it doesn't need one as the bike rides pretty much naked very comfortably.

2 up is fine but riders in the tank more and I would reckon it would make a great race bike.

I wonder how many years it will be before the next change. Hopefully a while so some more can try the new. Do have a go before criticising too much. Its worth a ride even if you dont like the look. Its here and too stay for a while in my garage for sure.

Long live all monsters.

Dave G
05-01-2010, 06:16 PM
My opinion on the new monster is pretty much the same as when I first saw it. Its OK but has a few design quirks that I still find awkward,namely the ugly subframe and the gap between the cans and the seat.
Thes are minor but this is a bike sold on its looks and would stop me from buying it.
Luckily I got my sportclassic before they stopped making them.:biggrin:

Davy
05-01-2010, 08:04 PM
The old monster has character and looks like a Ducati should, The new one BLING BLING they look like all the rest of the "new naked" bikes.

kneedown
05-01-2010, 08:22 PM
i think the streetfighter is better looking than the new monster ;if i was going to keep mine and have another it would be ktm 990sm :)