PDA

View Full Version : Minor service advice + Rosso corse

rac3r
21-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Two questions for you guys and some general advice on DIY servicing. I'm planning way ahead here but in summer my bike will have a minor service done:

1) Anyone know how much a minor service costs at Rosso Corse?

2) Should I do the minor service myself?

The thing is that I've always wanted to learn about general mechanics and be able to do things my self but I'm too scared that I'll do something wrong. I've got a Hayne's manual to guide me but I'm still worried. Major servicing will definitely be done at the garage because I need the stamp.

The plus points to doing the service my self are that I can learn and feel that I've actually done something in my life and the money saved can go towards something like my SBK forks :cool:

One more thing what about the stamp in the service book?

Sorry for all the dumb questions!
What do you think I should do? :scratch:

Paivi
21-12-2009, 12:24 PM
If it's no longer under warranty and you actually want to learn about your bike, I'd do the minor service myself. Perhaps rope one of the more experienced guys in to supervise you.

rac3r
21-12-2009, 01:16 PM
it's a 2004 so I'm pretty sure it is :chuckle:

CK & AK
21-12-2009, 01:26 PM
1) Anyone know how much a minor service costs at Rosso Corse?

2) Should I do the minor service myself?

One more thing what about the stamp in the service book?

1) Phone them?
2) You could, if confident on doing all the required work

If you use RC or any other workshop, then they will stamp your book. Otherwise if you do it, then keep receipts etc for the future, but you cannot put anything in the book in writing yourself. Maybe a stick-it with the date you did it & what you did (and the note to 'pse see attached receipts' )

:)

rac3r
21-12-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't wan to phone them yet because the service is actually in the summer not now :chuckle:

I can do the easy bits like oil change, spark plugs etc but when it gets to belts that's where I'll struggle unless someone tells me what to do :scratch:

CK & AK
21-12-2009, 04:08 PM
err, you asked about a minor service :confused:- belts are not part of a minor service (usually).

Any of the Ducati authorised dealers/workshops should have a set price for servicing (additional work is on top) - I know MotoRapido and also Ducati Glasgow have servicing costs advertised on their website, so worth taking a look for guidance :)

CK

rac3r
21-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Moto Rapido says £300! :eek:

I meant you have to check the belts and I assume it's not as easy as just looking at them

Pomp1
21-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Moto Rapido says £300! :eek:

I meant you have to check the belts and I assume it's not as easy as just looking at them

They need changing every 2 years anyway. Plenty of belt changing topics covered in the forum thought! Search and see for yourself.

rac3r
21-12-2009, 06:05 PM
They need changing every 2 years anyway. Plenty of belt changing topics covered in the forum thought! Search and see for yourself.

Mine aren't due till 2011 :cool:

StuartJames
21-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Go to Rosso Corse and ask them if you can help with the service. Those guys are more than happy to have customers watch their bike being worked on.

They'll answer any questions, talk to you about what they're doing, tell you why they're doing it, you'll have a master class in Ducati mechanics.

If you want to get stuck in and get your hands dirty....there's a filthy coffee mug they're always trying to get someone to clean ;)

rac3r
21-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Go to Rosso Corse and ask them if you can help with the service. Those guys are more than happy to have customers watch their bike being worked on.

They'll answer any questions, talk to you about what they're doing, tell you why they're doing it, you'll have a master class in Ducati mechanics.

If you want to get stuck in and get your hands dirty....there's a filthy coffee mug they're always trying to get someone to clean ;)

Any idea how much they charge?