PDA

View Full Version : Hard Hitting Ad - About Bloody Time!

emily's driver
20-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Sadly this ad is not screened in the UK as it is deemed too graphic for our poor sensitive little minds. Bol@@cks to that. This is EXACTLY the kind of hard hitting message people should see over here to reinforce the point. It is a real shame we cant see our way through the mire of petty politics to be able to show this on national TV. I'd like to see it screened on Xmas Eve and over the festive period and at cinemas, pubs and clubs at the end of an evening. Leaves you in NO doubt as to the consequences.

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

pegboy
20-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Wow that is full on, growing up in Oz i can understand the mentality of people drink driving, not that i agree with it, but what really hurts i that people still do it even after all these ads.
My mate was coming home from a night shift and was hit by a drunk driver, still to this day he suffers with his leg as he almost lost it back some 15 years ago and what did the drunk get $1000 fine and was suspended from driving for 1 year, that's it.

LouSCannon
20-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Totally agree... seems everytime we get a strong campaign in this country people complain and it's taken off the air... for this type of ad complaints mean it's hitting the mark and should be shown more and more.

SazzaG
20-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Very powerful. Shame they'll never show it here.

uksurfer
20-12-2009, 02:47 PM
i hope that would put people off DUI over here, but we will never see it

Yorkie
20-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Northern Ireland used to do some very good and graphic D&D adverts! The truth upsets people quite a lot, the same with the bike safe adverts.

Yorkie

StuartJames
20-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Great advert, and quite rightly it should be shown over here. But the government are too softly softly in case they offend anyone, so instead they spend our money making police hang around towns testing our exhaust noise levels.

What's more important, a noisy exhaust or five people killed because of drink driving or mobile phones??

JMo
20-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Sadly this ad is not screened in the UK as it is deemed too graphic for our poor sensitive little minds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

And that its about 5 minutes too long (being a montage) and has a whiny REM soundtrack?

The shorter version is better (but still about a minute too long for TV)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otR8V7rlnjA&NR=1

xxx

He11cat
20-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Yet we are bombarded with images of drug taking , violence and domestic violence and rape every day by the media.... like we are a delicate nation I think not.

We need stuff like this.. sad fact is you know what the cocks that get in their cars loaded don't see they are doing anything wrong..

They are a better driver then us and anyone else ... they are in control.... only had 3 pints thats nothing .... and the best one I used to hear that made my blood boil "I can drive better after a drink".

I was a barmaid ..seen it all... heard it all...
I worked in one of the worst dives for a year (worked many bars part time for bit of extra cash) ... they often got caught drinking and driving..

One has been done 8 times and had his license taken from him so many times.. as soon as it gets given back he drives to the pub.. he should be banned forever..drives a huge merc and an old landy..

One woman came in raging as got done... "I only had 3 double vodka's , I can drive fine, I was only nipping down the road and they pulled me ..the police are idiots , I had a sunbed booked ..now I am not going to be brown for my holiday ffs.."

Another one propping up the bar for hours on double whiskeys most days..
well I have my drink driving medical thing tomorrow before I get my license back... so il be on orange tonight as they may blood test me... but don't worry il be on the whiskey as soon as I come back... got to make it look like I have been good.

Adds like this should be shown... trouble is yes they shock us and touch us we have hearts and a soul.

The people who repeatedly drink and drive feel they are above the law... it will never happen to them.. and they have to get home / work or poxy sunbeds they can drive just as good with a drink inside ... if not better..
You know sitting watching these idiots day in day out they have no remorse.

They are selfish people and it would not even have any effect on them... its not real and it would never happen to them.. they wouldn't even register that ad.

I left that place .. it was unreal ..
I could not sit and watch it anymore and the bravado that went with it... and even if you told your manager look he's getting in the car!!!.. they tell you none of our/your business... :( he's a paying customer.

You just wanted to call the police .. trouble is then you'd be watching your back as they would know who tipped them off..

I wish the drink driver got to see the family of the victim and saw the aftermath saw the grief.
Take them to the morgue and show them that poor persons broken body.... maybe then it would sink in.. after all what do they get to see.. oh a photo of their victim maybe I have no idea...

Id print their photo and name and shame them and think bars should have photos circulated like our pubwatch does... sadly you just know they would hide the car round the corner...

The domestic violence ads they ran where quite good recently.. we are getting there..
But yes we need to get way tougher...

He11cat
20-12-2009, 03:50 PM
sorry for rant....
Its a pet hate of mine... and watching these morons broke my heart.. you just thought I hope you get home without killing anyone... but you know if you total your car and get killed it serves you right ..

Saint aka ML
20-12-2009, 03:50 PM
And that its about 5 minutes too long (being a montage) and has a whiny REM soundtrack?

The shorter version is better (but still about a minute too long for TV)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otR8V7rlnjA&NR=1

xxx

It is a montage to celebrate 20 years of TAC it was meant to be long and have all of their adds in it. Including the one you posted.

I believe all should be that long and all should be forced to watch it one time a day!!

JMo
20-12-2009, 04:00 PM
It is a montage to celebrate 20 years of TAC it was meant to be long and have all of their adds in it. Including the one you posted.

I believe all should be that long and all should be forced to watch it one time a day!!

I was aware of that, just I feel the effect diminishes by being that long (the link in Rod's original post), and the fact that Michael Stipe whining on is a bit of a cliche...

Those TAC ads are very well done, but would benefit from being shown as a series, not as a montage - a five minute ad is going to have people getting up and making a cuppa...

Of course drink-drive campaigns get a leg up around Christmas time, but we forget it is a year-round 'problem' as Hellcat points out... I also feel that nowadays everyone is aware we shouldn't do it, so whether an ad campaign like that works effectively is perhaps an issue to debate? It won't stop the people who persist in drink-driving, as I doubt they'd even watch it anyway?

xxx

chris yeatman
20-12-2009, 04:14 PM
very strong tv ad, hits home about drink and drug driving.
simples, drink, dont drive!!!!!

kneedown
20-12-2009, 09:47 PM
sorry for rant....
Its a pet hate of mine... and watching these morons broke my heart.. you just thought I hope you get home without killing anyone... but you know if you total your car and get killed it serves you right ..

i think if you total your car and get killed one less scum on the road 'if you hurt someone eles but are alive a cell for the rest of your life ;no radio no t,v no ****en choice of food

SazzaG
20-12-2009, 10:16 PM
What makes me mad is that for a lot of people, the only deterrent for drink driving is the chance they'll get caught, not the fact that they're not safe to drive and might end up killing themselves or someone else.

I was out for a curry with a friend the other day, who is well known for having a glass or two over the limit before driving home, and he was on the non-alcoholic beer. Why? Because he's more likely to be caught this time of year. Not the right attitude.

It's the "I'm fine to drive after 3 pints" thing that gets me. I've heard family members say this, and my response is "One, how do you know that? And two, if a child runs out in front of you, even if it wasn't your fault, you'll get done for drink driving. Why take the risk?"

Yorkie
20-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Heres another, i think the use of kids is very clever in most heart string adverts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNdVGXqv8yY&NR=1

Yorkie

emily's driver
20-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Glad this has provoked so much thought. It is still a bloody shame that we are too lily livered to show it. Screw peoples fragile sentiments. This sort of stuff needs to be aired to remind the neanderthal element of society just what pri@cks they are by driving in this state. That or make the sentences stiffer. I hate being soft soaped by the government and their deciding on MY behalf that it is TOO graphic to be of any value. Let the individual be the judge of that. I think most people are capable enough of making their own minds up as to the suitability of viewing material and the age at which it should be pitched. Being dictated too is tantamount to suggesting we cant make the decision for ourselves. I hate this pathetic nanny state we find ourselves in. It's laughable and frankly embarrasing when viewed alongside other nations. If the hard reality of consequences rears it's ugly head, people inexplicably suddenly get very nervous about the effect it may have on others. Good. That's the whole friggin point!

He11cat
20-12-2009, 11:41 PM
I agree and if I had the money and a job lined up I would be on a plane out of this mess of a country tomorrow.. in the last 15 years its changed so much and gone to the dogs... bet we are the laughing stock of europe.

sburrows87
21-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Yes I think they should play these adverts over here as it could really help hammer the point home that it's not just getting caught by the police but potentially killing someone as well