PDA

View Full Version : oil drain plug ??????

jerry
11-12-2009, 02:32 AM
the 10mm allen socket in my S4 drain plug is spinning ...damn...its always torqued propely but the alloy has still stipped ,OK getting a new drain plug will be a hassle in thailand but how to get the dud one off is immediate problem as I want to change oil. should I try a bigger allen key jammed in or a drift?

Trent
11-12-2009, 05:35 AM
Yikes! Do you mean the thread is stripped in the cases and the plug is turning but won't come out? Or just the allen key is spinning in the hole?

If it's the later, you could try heating the cases (run the engine to operating temp, use a heat gun etc) then drive a slightly too large Torx bit into allen head hole.

You could try using a cold chisel against the side of the plug as well - sometimes the shock of the impact from the hammer helps to loosen the plug (kinda like an impact driver) Hmmm... maybe you could try the Torx bit on the end of an Impact driver?

Ideally a combination of both the Torx bit and cold chisel at the same time would be best (if you've got a spare pair of hands...)

jerry
11-12-2009, 06:02 AM
Its the later ,, the allen socket id no good the threads in the cases are fine . i have managed to order a replacment with Hex bolt type plug which is much better locally for £24

I will start the bike up to warm it and use a chisel to get the plug moving

Gamsa
11-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Definitely go for the chisel approach, but be careful; you can do serious damage if you get this wrong. Start with a couple of knocks from the outside in towards the middle to get it started. Then, give the chisel a small angle in the direction you want it to turn (anti-clockwise looking at the head, presumably) - you still want to be essentially hitting towards the centre of the bolt or you'll just shear the metal.

snakey
11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
exactly the same ! I have managed to get a replacement from Rich at louigimoto, but as i was rebuilding the clutch at the time and needed the bike on the road, just for this time i drained the oil through the gauze filter plug and left the drain plug problem till the next oil change when i can allow myself a bit more time. Rich said that this is quite common and the chisel method is about the only way to get them out.

Pete.

jerry
11-12-2009, 09:41 AM
I tried a massive 13mm easyout but it just slipped and ate brass, chisel method aint working either ,there is nothing for it to bite on , i will get an angle grinder and cut a slot to see if that gives some purchase for the chisel.

Saint aka ML
11-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Get the original alan key you used. Dip it in oil and then dip that in sand. Try slotting it in and turning. Before you do that heating hte engine right up and smassing hte plug with hammer to loosen up will help.

Unit 18
11-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I knock an old 3/8ths extension bar into place and that has always worked for me.

snakey
11-12-2009, 02:21 PM
one thing that i am going to try before the chisel method is to get hold of a gutdown alen key and 'stick' it in with JB weld - might work ! now the fork seals have gone on my sport, so a bit more time in the garage....

Pete.

Saint aka ML
11-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I knock an old 3/8ths extension bar into place and that has always worked for me.

A bit harsh but will do the job.

crust
11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
I've used an old multi headed tool for car sump plugs, you see them at auto jumbles,

blue with four different size/shaped lugs on each end.

The hole in the plug is tapered.

:) crust

jerry
12-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Nothing is working ,, chisel has nothing to get a grip in its just flaking brass off and the easyout which was a 13mm has rounded out the hex ...so i reckon explosives will be next option

I am going to leave it for a day or 2 before I go crazy

gary tompkins
12-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Make sure you are trying to turn it the right way

It's easy to get clockwise/anti-clockwise muddled when working upside down

jerry
13-12-2009, 11:57 AM
OK .......at last success ...Yep SEMTEX did the job ..blew the damn thing straight thru my house along with rest of Bike unfortunately the anti terrorist police are now after me.
No seriously I resorted to brute force smashing a 3/8 drive bar end into the mushed hex with a big hammer then it came off easy with a ratchet on other end.
But I am going to put aftermarket big bolt head oil drains on all my Ducatis.

sburrows87
13-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Nothing beats the gentle, delicate touch of a ducati owner lol

Unit 18
13-12-2009, 07:37 PM
OK .....
No seriously I resorted to brute force smashing a 3/8 drive bar end into the mushed hex with a big hammer then it came off easy with a ratchet on other end.

Err...like I said then... its always worked for me.
Glad you got it done.

jerry
17-12-2009, 12:27 PM
The new aftermarket oildrain plug arrived today and guess what its the damn standard Ducati one not what i ordered !!!!!!!!!! TIT this is Thailand ...oh well I have to suck it and use it grrrr.

snakey
17-12-2009, 02:09 PM
The new aftermarket oildrain plug arrived today and guess what its the damn standard Ducati one not what i ordered !!!!!!!!!! TIT this is Thailand ...oh well I have to suck it and use it grrrr.

something that my dad did for me, back in the 70's on an old honda 750 the bolt that held on the oil filter was quite large, but the head was only 12mm, so the inevitable happened and it rounded off (nearly every time) till he came up with a brilliant idea, he welded a socket to the head, then all that had to be done to change the filter was to attach a socket driver and no probs changing the oil ! what I am thinking of doing to the drain plug is similar but getting a cut off allen key either braised or 'glued' in useing J&B weld.

Pete.

animaluk
17-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Ahhhh Good old percussive maintenance my fav