PDA

View Full Version : S4R - is lowering possible?

Sue
07-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi, I would love an S4R but I am extremely vertically challenged. I just manage my M600 with the rear suspension hoop set to make it low as possible, forks lowered thru, the seat has been sculpted out and I wear boots that have the 1 inch soles built in. Can an S4R be lowered to a similar height and if so what parts are required and approx cost?

Gilps
08-12-2009, 06:36 AM
The S4R does have height adjustment, but even on its lowest setting it is still slightly taller than a standard Monster. One of the selling points of the S*R range was their increased ground clearance.
I've got a 29" inside leg and mange my S2R OK. You learn to slide off the seat to one side when you need to get a foot down.

Stafford
08-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Ah Sue I see you have same boots as Gilps.
I've a DP seat on my S2R and little Liz_62 can get both feet on the floor with that and no other adjustments to the ride height, there's also been talk on here of having a lower profile seat made from the original as well.

Gilps
08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
I've a DP seat on my S2R and little Liz_62 can get both feet on the floor with that and no other adjustments to the ride height, there's also been talk on here of having a lower profile seat made from the original as well.

Cheeky sod

I found the DP seat actually made things slightly worse as I found it to be wider at the front. It's OK though and makes the ride more comfy.

Stafford
08-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Cheeky sod

Apologies mate, I couldn't help myself :biggrin:

NattyBoy
08-12-2009, 01:07 PM
The S4R does have height adjustment, but even on its lowest setting it is still slightly taller than a standard Monster. One of the selling points of the S*R range was their increased ground clearance.
I've got a 29" inside leg and mange my S2R OK. You learn to slide off the seat to one side when you need to get a foot down.

...what about the sven goran erikkson stylee stacked cuban heels Gilps..surely they make a difference ??!!!!

giler
08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Are these the boots were are on about?;)

Gilps
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
...what about the sven goran erikkson stylee stacked cuban heels Gilps..surely they make a difference ??!!!!

That's just a fashion thing. Nothing to do with my drawf-like stature.

Mohawk
08-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Sue, I've do sympathise as I've struggled to get the height right on the Monster for me. I'd foam taken out of my seat, and I also wear the Daytona Ladystar boots which help.

Let me know how you get on choosing another bike.

Liz
08-12-2009, 08:46 PM

'Little' Liz_62????? :fiery:

Cheeky sod

I quite agree!!

Nickj
08-12-2009, 11:22 PM
'Little' Liz_62????? :fiery:!

You been putting on weight then Liz? ;)

Liz
10-12-2009, 05:49 PM
You been putting on weight then Liz? ;)

Yes, I weigh at least 3 ounces more than before! :eek:

Nickj
10-12-2009, 07:52 PM
LOL Breath out, that'll probably get you down by 5 or 6 ounces Liz

On the bike height bit once you can get your forefeet on the ground its as much a matter of confidence as anything else. If you get to a point where your feet are flailing around and everythings going to rats big style you're going to be off on your ass if the seats 6" or 6feet off the ground.

He11cat
11-12-2009, 03:10 AM
Hi... probably the shortest person here ... with legs that go on forever... lol well er 26 inches .. hmmmph!!

I ride an old M600 and the hoop been cut the shocks shorter , the seat is wafer thin gel pad.. and forks through...Im ok like Nick says but until I hit a hill or camber... so need another inch off!

I would love some Ladystars but at what £300...hmm id like to see some first!!!.. and how much extra height id get...

I have only owned 2 bikes out of 15 that I can jump on and ride without adapting!

But I have always got the bike I wanted .. because where there's a will there's a way.. and well maybe Ive been lucky and know some clever people !!..

What I will say is ground clearance.. you need to watch it..

I have hit the exhaust on mine on a bloody speed bump going up to Ducati dealership oh the shame!!!

and I ride a Katana as well and its so low to the ground its mental... and little miss clever ripped the bolts out of her exhaust .. sounded bloody good until I thought why are people looking .. ok its loud!!
Mechanic ran out of shop and said OMG I heard you miles away... exhaust by then um hanging off.. and nice dent in a new Yoshi full system at ouch cost... lol..

Final mental buy... a streetfighterd Xj600 .. at 34 inches high with extra jacked up back end... hmm 26 inch legs... bike 34inches high!!.... the bloke who built it looked at me and said er.. how????

I didn't know how... I just wanted it!!!... and yup after alot of head scratching it was done on the swing arm and shock mount... but he's now 27 inches high... but lost the nice tipped up arse!!..its like its owner now .. saggy arsed..lol..

As a very very short girl... I have owned 15 bikes and only 2 ive jumped straight on and ridden.. all the rest modified... be it dog legs.. shock mounts .. short shocks and seat scoops..or seat rails hacked.. where there is a will there is a way!!!!...

Twinshock bikes I found are the easiest to deal with.. but mono's a bit more thought needed.. but ground clearance is the problem and side stand lean... both need to be addressed or your wang the bottom of the bike , or it will lean so far over as mine did when I brought it the bike can't be parked anywhere... they are the two man things to watch!

but yep can be done... just requires a little thought..

Oh and I would like some big sliver glittery platforms please!! cause they are cool!!.. lol...
and I am going through this spandex and stuff phase... not on me il add... lol...
Local band has a nice wardrobe going on like leopard skin spandex trousers.... and I know a monster rider who would look pretty cool in spandex silver trousers.. although Im not sure if he could handle the boots after a few beers...lol....

(Dear Santa.. spandex please... but not on me! )