PDA

View Full Version : 696 Suspension

BigOz
03-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I took my Monster over to MCT yesterday to get a Ohlins DU 737 shock fitted and get them to take a look at the completely nonadjustable forks.

After taking a bunch of measurements it turns out the bike is under-sprung at the front (especially for someone my size) with too much preload and had way too much rebound damping. With my weight on it over 70 mm of the 108mm of available stroke were used to support me so something needed to be done. They explained the excessive rebound damping would end up with the suspension pumping itself down on rough roads until it reached a very stiff part of the stroke.
After fitting new springs, machining new preload spacers, altering the oil fill and reducing the rebound damping they also fitted the new shock.

The 90 mile ride back was a treat despite being cold, wet and mainly dual carriageway, the first roundabout was a surprise as the bike dropped into the turn with much less effort, and either the southbound lanes were much smoother or the changes were having a good effect.

Hopefully there will be a dry weekend soon so I can ride some familiar roads and see how it feels.

Andy