PDA

View Full Version : First Monster...? Which one.

Wildman
03-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Hi all

I've always loved the look of the Monster and I've started the process of maybe owning one.

I asked earlier this week in a bike shop about which one they would advise and they suggested that I would soon get fed up of a 620 once I got used to the power.

I'm planning on spending about 2-2.5k on a bike and was wondering what you guys thought about which monster would be best for me? I know its all swings and roundabouts but I definately want a Ducati so thought I'd ask here as the monster is affordable (I think). The other bike I would consider is an SS?

SlowLearner
03-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi and welcome !

The monster is an excellent bike, so thats a good start !

Which is right for you depends on what you want to do with it, a 620/695/696 will be great for most things but perhaps a little undergunned for long fast trips ?? ( I have a 696 but I also have a 1098S Tricolore)

For me the first decision would be air or water cooled, might sound silly but the aircooled bikes are much cleaner IMHO, as they obviously doth have rads and pipes, but the watercooled ones are more powerful, generally !

Then theres colour! :dizzy:

Someone intelligent will be along soon with some useful advice.......

Wildman
03-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Any colour as long as its not yellow... ;) But I think I'd prefer red.

At what year was the change over from air colled to water cooled? and on which models?

jimbo696
03-12-2009, 09:35 AM
For 2 to 2.5k you should get a nice 695(maybe?), 750, 800 or 900 Monster.....or a later SS, if you don't mind the re styling of the SS which I hate....
You don't mention what experience you have of biking or what the bike will be used for??

If you are planning short/medium trips for fun, then the Monster is great, IMO not a great touring bike.. The ST range would be better for that, or a Multistrada.. I have owned all of the above; the Monster is the one that I prefer...

Wildman
03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
The bike will mainly be used for fun and the occasional commute (50 mile round trip). It will be my first big bike as before I have only ever ridden a 125 vespa on the road. I do fancy going on the occasional long trip, maybe to Ireland from Lancashire etc.

I'm alo into class cars for form over function doesn't really bother me, if I had the budget I wouldn't hesitate to get a sport classic :)

Gilps
03-12-2009, 10:20 AM
My recommendation would be an S2R 800, but will be just outside your budget. Hunt around and you'll pick one up for around 3k. Failing that, an 800 Monster is a nice bike with the same engine as the S2R but the conventional stlying of the original Monsters.
Try an SS. They are a different animal, with clip ons and a slightly sportier feel.
I have both (although my rather special SS goes this weekend) and for just hooning around I prefer the Monster. The SS cocoons you a little behind the screen and fairings and makes for an easier ride at speed.

Paivi
03-12-2009, 12:01 PM
A 695! Fab design, looks gorgeous and has a featherlight clutch, which is an important consideration for us scooterists (my main bike is a Vespa 125GT), as we don't have well developed finger muscles... I use the Duchess for trips out of town only, and have been known to do a trip to Italy and back on her in perfect comfort, so I'd say it's a great touring bike. If your idea of touring, though, is extremely fast speeds on a motorway, then no naked bike is good for touring.

LouSCannon
03-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Ditto about the 695... I was getting almost 140 out of a tank (Pure 70 - 80mph motorway) when I took my old 695 to Germany and back.

Forgiving clutch, low insurance group, loud enough to entertain and quick enough to excite I thought the 695 was a great first Monster...

BluprintZ
03-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I had a similar situation when looking to buy a Monster.
I was considering a 600, as i felt that such a size would be sufficient after a ten year break, although prior to the break, i had owned many bikes of various capacities for over 30 years.
I was advised to go for either the 750 or 900, as i would soon get fed-up with the restrictions that a smaller capacity bike would have had, so i got the M900 and a fine bike it was.
Maybe the 600+ variants would be ok for a newbie to the scene and with minimal experience on bikes, it's all a matter of opinion really.

G ; )

Scootaboy
03-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I'd go for the 695 as a first big bike - in fact I did, and though after 14 months I wouldn't recomend it as an everyday long commute bike, for your purposes it'd be great.

I got rid of mine for a street triple a month back, and sold it to a dealer at the parkers price of £2600 (with 9k miles). The second hand market has crashed a bit recently and this a very good time of year to buy so you should be able to get one around the same price. Check out ebay, biketrader and the mcn website for an idea of whats available.

SlowLearner
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
On balance i think that the 695 is a good bet, S2R800would be ideal but not at this price?

I rode my 696 down to mid france last year, was great on the little roads, less so on the big ones.

On the Air vs Water cooled, its not really an age thing as Ducati still make both types, its more that the really high performance engine have water cooling and the 'ordinary' ones dont.

I love the look of the monster without the plumbing necessary for water cooling, but its just personal preference!

Good luck choosing and have fun !

damo
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I got rid of mine for a street triple a month back, and sold it to a dealer at the parkers price of £2600 (with 9k miles).

Why did you swap the 695 for a Street Triple, if you don't mind me asking?

Wildman
03-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Cheers everyone. Can anyone find me a 695, 750, 800 or 900 then? about 10k miles for £2500? ;)

Scootaboy
03-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Why did you swap the 695 for a Street Triple, if you don't mind me asking?

it was great on the open road and in light traffic...but I got real bad pains in my neck/shoulder/forearm in heavier traffic, which is most of the year to be honest. For a long time I blamed it on my lack of experience with motorbikes - bad riding position, heavy rucksack, not relaxing enough etc etc but in the end I couldn't get away from the fact that the riding position wasn't good for me (I'm 6 foot if that makes a difference?)

The street triple is ridiclously comfortable in comparison. My first few days were spent riding it in both heavy rain and very heavy traffic - this would have absolutely had me in agony on the monster, was fine on the triple.

It's a fantastic bike all round, but if I had the money and space I'd happily get another monster/ducati for the odd weekend ride, so I'll happily recommend it to other people as long as they dont use it the same as I did.

ps I still see you from time to time on chelsea embankment in the morning (assuming it is you!). I'm on the white street triple with black roof helmet with the white stripe)

damo
03-12-2009, 03:04 PM
it was great on the open road and in light traffic...but I got real bad pains in my neck/shoulder/forearm in heavier traffic, which is most of the year to be honest. For a long time I blamed it on my lack of experience with motorbikes - bad riding position, heavy rucksack, not relaxing enough etc etc but in the end I couldn't get away from the fact that the riding position wasn't good for me (I'm 6 foot if that makes a difference?)

The street triple is ridiclously comfortable in comparison. My first few days were spent riding it in both heavy rain and very heavy traffic - this would have absolutely had me in agony on the monster, was fine on the triple.

It's a fantastic bike all round, but if I had the money and space I'd happily get another monster/ducati for the odd weekend ride, so I'll happily recommend it to other people as long as they dont use it the same as I did.

ps I still see you from time to time on chelsea embankment in the morning (assuming it is you!). I'm on the white street triple with black roof helmet with the white stripe)

Fair enough, design and noise wise it's hard to beat a monster but I'd consider a Street Triple if I were to move away from Ducati too.
I'll keep an eye open for you in the morning then!
Hard enough trying not to miss any Monster passing my way that I didn't dedicate much time Street Triple spotting so far.

ps: I'll stop hijacking this thread, promise!

Semi
03-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I got my first bike a couple of months ago, an s2r 800 bought from another member here. I would have no reservations what so ever to recommend it to anyone for a first bike. It is really easy to ride, sounds great and more power than I have found a need for, yet. I'm sure that the 695 is in the same category, but have never tried another monster other than the one I currently have. And while we are at it, the bike puts a smile on my face when riding. Good stuff.

Reg. touring: Last weekend I rode the bike 900 miles to Denmark, where I will most likely move to sometime beginning next year. Weather was hell, especially in Belgium and Holland, and in hindsight I regret not just quitting half way. But not once did the bike feel difficult to ride or like it was loosing control. However all the water was probably more than the bike is meant to ridden in. I had trouble keeping the engine (oil) hot, and on 2 occasions (with 45 mins in between), it lost the oil. I presume the air filter clutted completely with water and somehow consequently oil was vacumed into places it disappeared from (of note, bike has open box air filter). After getting out of the worst weather, it didn't loose a single drop of oil (I of course checked for any leaks on many occasions but found none).

I might also mention that my neck and upper back became quite sore in the end, but I guess I was asking for it after 27 hours with 10 mins of sleep total. Anyway, just a few thoughts, if you plan to tour in all kinds of weather with your new monster.

Scootaboy
03-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Fair enough, design and noise wise it's hard to beat a monster but I'd consider a Street Triple if I were to move away from Ducati too.
I'll keep an eye open for you in the morning then!
Hard enough trying not to miss any Monster passing my way that I didn't dedicate much time Street Triple spotting so far.

ps: I'll stop hijacking this thread, promise!

yep theres definately a lot more monsters than triples in london!! I still keep a look out

BluprintZ
03-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Same here, i sold my M900 and bought a Triumph Thruxton 900, mainly due to joint problems that the Monster riding position didn't treat too kindly.
Although if you are young and fairly fit, that shouldn't be too big a problem.
Touring can be a bit hit and miss with the Monster but for brain out scratching, there ain't nothing like it.

G ; )

Wildman
03-12-2009, 08:28 PM
One of the other bikes I quite fancy is a Thruxton... they carry a premium but seem to keep their value

Arbeia
04-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I`m biased but If i were you i`d pick up a scnd hand 696.

Wildman
04-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I`m biased but If i were you i`d pick up a scnd hand 696.

There is no chance I'll be getting a 2nd hand 696 for my budget ;)

rac3r
04-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I got my first big bike this year after riding a CBR125. When I was looking I thought I was a sportsbike man so I was looking at J1 ZX6R's etc but always loved Ducati's. I asked for advice on here (like you have) and got many suggestions until I received a PM from a member saying they had a 620ie for sale in red :cool: I went down to see it and even before I'd got out the car I knew it was the perfect bike!

Mine is restricted but has more than enough power for me. I love the way it looks and sound is just pure awesomeness! The only thing I would say is a tiny bit of a downside is the tank range (as I found out today). Other than that I think it's the perfect bike and plan to buy a 'bigger' monster when/if I decide to change :thumbsup:

(Red is the fastest colour!)

allan green
04-12-2009, 09:14 PM
:scratch::scratch:i :scratch:think the ideal bike for you would be a 750,it gives big bike performance but is also kind to the novice rider just stepping up,you should get a more than half decent one for your budget as s2r 800 will be over your budget,i bet your heads spinning,the one thing i will say wotever monster you choose you wont regret it the grin factor is worth its weight in gold:scratch::scratch::scratch:

chris yeatman
04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
hi mate, my m750 is the second bike that i have owned, and the best, till i get an s4rs of course. lol

Arbeia
04-12-2009, 09:36 PM
There is no chance I'll be getting a 2nd hand 696 for my budget ;)
You said you had 5k at most,didnt you?

Arbeia
04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Sry my bad. thought you said 2-5k.

uksurfer
04-12-2009, 09:55 PM
personally, IMHO, i would go for a good low mileage clean bike, thats got full service history.
For your budget you should be able to get a nice bike.
I had a 600 as a first monster, great on the bends but lacked a little on the straight parts, a 620/750 i believe would be a great choice, great all rounder, and you could get a good one for your money.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Monster-2003-low-miles_W0QQitemZ260515797795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_M otorcycles?hash=item3ca7f39b23

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200948347100125/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/make/ducati/model/monster/price-to/3000/page/1/postcode/so452ey/radius/1501?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fusedbikes%2Fpo stcode%2Fso452ey%2Fradius%2F1501%2Fmake%2Fducati%2 Fmodel%2Fmonster%2Fprice-to%2F3000%2Fpage%2F1%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc&anchor=advert200948347100125&logcode=p

JMo
05-12-2009, 01:27 AM
For what it's worth...

If this is your first road bike, you'll be dead impressed with how fast even a 620 is (hell it still amuses me, seven years on) - really, its kind of academic as any Monster over 100mph is uncomfortable for anything more than a few minutes... a 620 will sit at 80-100mph all day on the motorway if needs be, and any more than that these days is going to get you a pull anyway?

You say you plan to mainly ride for fun and the occasional 50 mile round trip? - I'd say any Monster is perfect for that sort of use, and would echo what uksurfer suggests (and most people who buy secondhand bikes would say) and try and find the cleanest example, with as much history as you can, within your price range, and buy it!

xxx

ps. do go for a 620 or any of the other EFi bikes, the (carb fed) 600s really are a bit long in the tooth now...

Ginger
05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
M600! Had to be said!