PDA

View Full Version : S4R on the track

PDL
22-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Having only owned a Monster for just over a year I decided it was time to take it on the track. So off we went to Oulton Park yesterday (in the damp/wet) and here are my thoughts on how the S4R performs. Firstly let me set the scene, the first three sessions were on a damp in parts track with the odd dry-ish part, the fourth session was wet and raining, I ducked session five and six as most people had left and the weather was pants.

The verdict:
Overall I am well impressed, at no point did any of the big Jap bikes out power me and anything smaller was gobbled up within a lap. The brakes are awesome, just what you need when coming down the hill to knickerbrook chicane. The bike feels really well balanced, with no rear end spin in the wet at all, no movement under braking, the only complaint would be coming out of some corners as it shakes its head a little but I think I need to get the front end set up properly & I didn't really sit too far forward. The stearing is quite nimble and responsive without the bike tying itself in knots. In the wet the bike performs just as well, the wet sessions sorted the men from the boys and gave me loads of opportunity to practice on the brakes inside line overtakes. So yes overall a perfect track tool. But what should we expect from a WSK winning frame, engine etc. :)

Edit to fix the picture error

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Ts1P5oZ9

uksurfer
22-11-2009, 07:34 AM
good write up, couldn't see the photos though? :scratch:

bigredduke
22-11-2009, 08:04 AM
I must say I disagree. The last trackday I did was on the S4R at Mallory. The bike was completely unsuitable. Other bikes, including ‘smaller’ Monsters were shooting past me on the straights, flying past me in the bends and out-braking me in the corners. My bike is supposed to be fast, tractable, great-handling with superb brakes according to all reports I’ve ever read. I really can’t understand why you found yours such a brilliant machine at Oulton when mine was rubbish at Mallory.:scratch:

Bigredduke (all the gear, no idea)

PDL
22-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Bigred fellow don't get me wrong, I had my fair share of fast lads blasting past me but that's track days there is always someone faster. But put it this way my mate on his R1 got the shock of his life when he found he couldn't out accelerate me going up & over Hilltop and also the City Hall straight. So why people overtook you on the straights is a mystery - I would say it isn't the bike mate.

Yes maybe the 996 lump in that chassis is a little too much but I found it great yesterday in the damp and wet. I may change my tune in the dry when I can really crank it over in the corners so we shall see but as i said I need to sort the front end mid corner and on exits as it is a little too soft.

Overall I found the S4R better than thre 748 on the track and amongst my victims was some bloke on a 1098, work that one out. :running: :yoparty:

CK & AK
22-11-2009, 11:00 AM
BigRed - you'll have to get suspension looked at, and maybe adjust the gearing.
A smaller nimble bike with a good rider on can often trouce the bigger bikes if the rider isnt so able, but equally a big bike can go rapidly round the little tracks like mallory.
Our 1098s will happily chug round there (Mallory) in 55's on a damp chilly day with a clubman rider on it - at best our race M800ie on a dry sunny day will only zip round in 57's - and our M620 ran round in 59's & still (currently) holds the lap race record for that class of bike.

Its all relative, but I'd get someone to help you with set up fella if you want to get more out of it:)

CK

bigredduke
22-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the advice but perhaps I didn't make myself entirely clear. The bike is superb. That just leaves one other variable doesn't it?:o

PDL
22-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the advice but perhaps I didn't make myself entirely clear. The bike is superb. That just leaves one other variable doesn't it?:o

Ahhh, I know what you mean then...it happens to me too. :) :)

He11cat
22-11-2009, 04:04 PM
good write up glad you put some other bikes to shame lol!..... :) :)

I d love to do a track day one day... maybe in a few years for my 40th.. lol..at the moment id be too slow and wobbly!! lol...
but glad you had a great time S4's a nice bike... Il come and watch a track day next year I think ..

I reckon my little 400 kat in the right hands would out blast a lot of bigger bikes..!! you just twist and he's there.. mind you it would ground out as so low at the mo!! lol
Glad you had a cool day !!

awww Big red stick me on the track with you.... you'd look better then Rossi !!! now theres a cunning plan!!... best of luck .. crikey we all have one of those days.. dont feel bad

PDL
22-11-2009, 04:46 PM
He11cat - i had an epic duel with an NSR400 in the wet session, he had a rear camera and is sending me the DVD, I overtook him twice and he overtook me twice in and out of the chicanes I eventually lost him from Old Hall to Cascades but a 400 on the track will bring oodles of fun. just remember it is about you and your enjoyment not about if you can keep up with someone else.

I got whooped by a bloke on an M600 (688 big bore) but he had wets on............and that is my excuse. :)

He11cat
22-11-2009, 05:53 PM
lol!!.... see size does not always matter is what you do with it.....:woot: