PDA

View Full Version : On The Tourist Trail

neilbaldry
17-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Anyone watch it? Pretty impressed was I! Its funny how people from foreign countries seem to take more interest in British history, than many Britons themselves!

Although I will stop short of :Furious: the yoof of today. Im sure there are loads of them who take an interest in our rich and glorious past.

Rule Britannia! :yoparty:

Grumpy
17-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I would'nt become to carried away about the yoof of todays history knowledge, I employed a local 16yr old several yrs back ( the're 19 now), one day we were working at a customers in a Haverhill, the customer who was in their late 70's started to talk about the second world war and Churchill. The yoof turned round and said, and I quote 'who's Churchill?'!!!!
The customer was gobsmacked!

Arbeia
17-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I`m a big history buff and it makes me very sad to see the youth of today showing hardly any interest in our history and culture.

He11cat
17-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Im surprised he didn't say "thats that dog innit!!!"...

Saint aka ML
18-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Well get used to it. At the end of the day humanity regularly repeats it's mistakes.

That is because something bad happens. People not involved directly are at first affraid. Then after some time they are still affraid but ok with it. Then they are just ok with it. Then it is a day to day thing. Then it is history and finally gone. When it is gone it happens all over again soon enough as no one remembers it was a bad idea in the first place.

gremlin
18-11-2009, 10:01 AM
It doesn't help when those at the top seem to be intent on wiping out our history and culture. There are so many beautiful buildings desperate for repair but no funding can be found so they are left to rot till they can be demolished unless they are turned into flats or offices which ruins the essence of them. History doesn't seem to be taught either, we did everything from prehistory through to the Victorians and a lot in decent detail but now they seem to skim over the meaty stuff like the Romans, the Dark Ages, Tudors and Agrarian revolution and concentrate on recent stuff. I was pretty hacked off when we did Shaftsbury etc for our O Levels I was way happier with the Tudors. History seems to be taught within the PC ethos, we can't teach anything about our history that may offend anyone so they take an apologist line on the Slave Trade, skip Clive of India, scoot around the destruction we caused in America helping to wipe out whole tribes, nasty as we have been it's all part of our colourful history. We can't even admit to hammering the French at Trafalgar and Waterloo for heavens sake, we won but I can't see why we bothered as we've now been pretty much handed over to the French etc but never mind.

J_Dub
18-11-2009, 11:10 AM
It’s hardly the fault of younger generations that they don’t know what their elder generations don’t teach them. Maybe we should blame ourselves for allowing our kids to be brought up in a ridiculous politically correct system, where they are not taught our past, have little respect, cannot be disciplined and can use ‘human rights’ to hide behind if they are disciplined, rather than simply blaming them.
History should be important; it is a reference point that should be looked at to gauge what the probable outcome of current day actions would be. (It is a pity that our glorious leaders didn’t refer back to even fairly recent history in Afghanistan during the late seventies - late eighties and see a then super power get its arse kicked). Unfortunately human nature is that each generation thinks it knows better than the previous generations and has to have the same experiences before it learns its lesson.

kneedown
18-11-2009, 11:24 AM
i think they were all to aware what happened in Afghanistan in years gone by but when you have a war monger like MR Bush 'and MR Blair who seems to have to be his best mate .they neve learn a lesson .
It is just very sad they seem to not care for all the lives that have been lost ;if they did the u.s and uk would bring there guys home and stop this fruitless war we will never win

neilbaldry
18-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Remember folks, its not the first time we have been there (in Afghan)!

I am a big WWII buff, an when I did GCSE history at school, I was very dissapointed to find we were to study the American West, and (to a lesser extent) the history of medicine.

We have picked a fight with, or against pretty much all the Europeans over the years, and won alot of times. We have been invaded by the French, we have kicked their asses more times than I can remember, and we have also had soverign soil in their mainland!

We have been world leaders when it comes to alot of discoveries, inventions, and generally being awesome!

Nickj
18-11-2009, 08:43 PM
i think they were all to aware what happened in Afghanistan in years gone by but when you have a war monger like MR Bush 'and MR Blair who seems to have to be his best mate .they neve learn a lesson .
....... and stop this fruitless war we will never win

Members of my family have been involved in all of the major Afghan conflights since the empire took on India.
Winning wars isn't about winning, it's being able to qrite the history and claim the win.

kneedown
18-11-2009, 08:48 PM
really and since when has this war any thing to do with us ??????? all we are doing is making more people hate us if possible and bring lots of our guys back in body bags ;if the govement in this country had a bit of sence they would bring them back now