PDA

View Full Version : Engine winter rebuilt

Pomp1
15-11-2009, 09:05 PM
This winter the heads are coming off the monster, as this year showed a heavy smoking and a oil use a bit higher than normal (1lt for 1K miles, I know some may say this is OK, but the smoke really worries me) I was thinking of either worn valve guides or valve oil seals. to be on the safe side I'll probably be doing both. Anything else I should look out for,except obviously valve clearance? Also, has anyone got a head nuts removing tool that I can borrow?

CK & AK
15-11-2009, 09:28 PM
also check the pistons & rings while you are at it and remeber its sometimes cheaper to buy a piston kit which includes pistons rings & gudgeon pins than just the rings.

Make up a tool by cutting a 15mm ring spanner - cut it off about 3 inches of total length & weld a 3/8 drive socket to the end, which is what I have been using at home over the past 4-5 years at home. (obviously at work I have the correct Ducati tool for this but cannot lend out, sorry, but these are about £100 I think which for a one-off job is a bit too pricey for you Pomp)

AK

Yorkie
15-11-2009, 11:54 PM
If it is the rings get a JE hi-comp piston kit.

The rings alone cost a fortune as AK has said!

Yorkie.

Pomp1
16-11-2009, 09:59 AM
mmmmhhhh, Hi-comp...mmmmhhhhh..thanks guys for the tips!

Stafford
16-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I know of some high comp piston for a 900SS I'd guess they'd fit.

Pomp1
16-11-2009, 11:20 AM
guys, you're the tempting devils! re the valve guides, what is the best way to remove them?(and, indeed, you think they need changing?) can they be done with a punch or is better to get a machine shop do them? Also, the valves would probably need re-lapping at this point, but that would throw my shim measurement in the bin if done prior to the seats been re lapped, wouldn't it?
Stafford, PM sent!

CK & AK
16-11-2009, 05:54 PM
yes, if you relap the valves in then you will need to re check the shimming as it could well change the clearances, but it depends on how much you lap them in.

As far as the valve guides go, it may just need the seals replacing as the 2 valves do suffer from valve guide seals.
If you need to remove the valve guides then a machine shop is prob your best bet if you dont have the proper tools to hand.

AK